sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    That is the ultimate gamble in a money market that is in turmoil. The only thing you can be sure about is that if you dont own material assets when the money market goes under you will own nothing at all. Govt gets voted in by promising the most people more things at the cost of future generations. Its hardly the answer to continued prosperity. I foresee monetry collapse in the future, where new systems will replace this short sighted crazy system of self interest and borrowing. Property is the only safe long term investment at least you will never end up destitute. Macdunk

Unless of course dropping values wipe out your equity, which has been the downfall of many a property investor in a downturn.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Unless of course dropping values wipe out your equity, which has been the downfall of many a property investor in a downturn.
    Fungus my old mate when it all hits the fan you only own what you have paid for at that time, and what material assets you own outright, everything else is nothing. I predict a major upheaval in the money market in the short to medium term. If you see it otherwise well good luck, I think you might need it. Property investors that have gone under and will go under in the future are the greedy ones coming a gutser owing to much debt. The smart ones never accumulate to much debt and ride the small downtrends and sell in the highs. Macdunk

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    Fungus my old mate when it all hits the fan you only own what you have paid for at that time, and what material assets you own outright, everything else is nothing. I predict a major upheaval in the money market in the short to medium term. If you see it otherwise well good luck, I think you might need it. Property investors that have gone under and will go under in the future are the greedy ones coming a gutser owing to much debt. The smart ones never accumulate to much debt and ride the small downtrends and sell in the highs. Macdunk
    You are right. That's why I am a full time property investor and have been for many years, although I've long since dropped residential, which I consider to be about the worst investment possible at present. My comments refer to those investors who build large portfolios with less than 20 - 25% equity. And I mean real equity - not jacked up 'user friendly' valuations etc. It's dead easy to get wiped out in a market drop if the real equity margins aren't sensible.

Interesting viewpoints from overseas

http://www.theage.com.au/business/wo...924-2uaxj.html

There may be plenty of alternative investment opportunities globally in all types of markets such as follows.

Undervalued currencies
    Undervalued stocks
    Undervalued commodities including emerging commodities
    Undervalued other assets
    Out of favour sectors, stocks, commodities and currencies

Some companies may have hidden assets in addition to their core businesses. It is time to rotate markets, currencies, stocks and commodities to get above average returns in the coming years and coming decade. We may have plenty of opportunities in frontier, emerging and developed markets in the coming decade provided we do some research.

As I said before stock, commodity and currency markets are not dead.
    Some may be good in property market. Still they can make mistakes. It is same in other assets. Stocks can give us some of the biggest gain in the long run provided we pick winning stocks with more than ten bagger characteristics. In the coming decade some simple businesses and boring businesses will shine globally due to middle class populations in Asia and Africa.

Remember in some period bull markets in assets will not end easily. We saw bull markets in properties, stocks in some countries up to now. We may see bull markets for those assets in some other markets and it is time to identify those markets before others. There may be bull markets in some markets in Asia, South America or Europe in 2014.

My ideas are not a recommendation to either buy or sell any property,security, commodity or currency. Please do your own research prior to making any investment decisions.

Since this thread started property has risen a lot so with the new LVR restrictions in place, is this the catalyst which will slow or stop this market?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Since this thread started property has risen a lot so with the new LVR restrictions in place, is this the catalyst which will slow or stop this market?

YES I think it will
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Good to see you have brought a home HIDDENGEM . You cant go wrong. Focus on reducing the mortgage and in 10 years time or sooner you will be so much better off. Lucky you found one that wasnt snapped up by an investor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    YES I think it will
    I just sold my apartment in less than a day (from email to agent to conditional contract in 5 hours) for more than I was expecting. Still people out there with no problem getting finance.

But since I sold, I hope the market doesn't skyrocket (more than the NZX). I have a PPOR so am still overweight in property

IMO

Harvey you are a perfect candidate to share your thoughts on the "Aftermarket Lounge Thread". Mix a wallbanger relax and kick back with your "genuine lazy boy" and tell us about your first? PPOR and what it is , and is it painful, peculiar, poised and what was the point of difference about your apartment that drew such feverish buying e.g. what famous (in nz ) Mayor or MVT had an Affair There….; Did your cousin Banksie (english Graffitti Artist} leave a pic under the flush box. The lounge is palace to relax and use your ImagiNatiOn :0