sharetrader
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The best time to buy <property, blue-chip stocks, precious metals, etc> is when they are most hated.

Is property hated? No. Is it even out of favour? Not enough for my liking.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Guru

Trying to think of when it was last ''hated''and what the price level was at that time.
    The big issue to my eyes is overseas investment--to me,its becoming obvious that houses (especially in Auckland area)are getting well past the normal Kiwi affordability range--but that overseas buyer situation makes it a difficult one to read.
    Im pretty overweight in property,but each time I think about selling the issue of what I would do with the proceeds stops me in my tracks(Share market is getting dangerously overbought IMO--banks dont pay much and are not nearly as safe as most think if things go pear shaped)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat. View Post
    The best time to buy <property, blue-chip stocks, precious metals, etc> is when they are most hated.

The best time to buy property is when interest rates are high. Sell when they are low - or never.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat. View Post

The best time to buy property is when interest rates are high. Sell when they are low - or never.

Buyers of property esp main centre's be mad to buy currently esp the ones with low deposits ...higher rates are coming getting the 400-600k load will end up a noose round their necks @ 7-9% rates ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by HIDDENGEM View Post
    After waiting so long I also decided to buy my first home (three bed rooms). I thought price will come down. As long as value doesn’t fall and interest rate stays in a comfortable level I will be OK.There is a risk in any type of investment.Don’t know what will happen to property market when baby boomers retire.
    You cant go wrong Buying your own home, prices go up and down but over 10years you will always be better off than renting. Get mortage free and you are home laughing.
    Worst thing I reckon for house prices is the greedy investors buying rentals, often paying more than the average first home owner can afford, they have an ongoing interest in boosting house prices and rental rates, I used to be one but my concience got the better of me and I sold, for the last 15 years been concentrating on shares.

Quote Originally Posted by In4a$ View Post
    You cant go wrong Buying your own home, prices go up and down but over 10years you will always be better off than renting. Get mortage free and you are home laughing.
    Worst thing I reckon for house prices is the greedy investors buying rentals, often paying more than the average first home owner can afford, they have an ongoing interest in boosting house prices and rental rates, I used to be one but my concience got the better of me and I sold, for the last 15 years been concentrating on shares.
    Well you can go wrong if you buy property thinking that it will guaranteed you wealth...and buying that house well above your budget but because rates are low ......median NZ income Vs average house price would be one of the worst in western nations ... how buying thinking property will return 10% p.a av over the next decade are really dreaming or are they counting on foreign investors ? (talk about pushing kiwi's out of the market for the sake of making a profit)
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Well you can go wrong if you buy property thinking that it will guaranteed you wealth...and buying that house well above your budget but because rates are low ......median NZ income Vs average house price would be one of the worst in western nations ... how buying thinking property will return 10% p.a av over the next decade are really dreaming or are they counting on foreign investors ? (talk about pushing kiwi's out of the market for the sake of making a profit)
    I was talking about buying as a home. Not a rental. Home ownership is the best investment you can make, buying rentals is not. I agree jbmurc, govt needs to do something to stop these investors pushinv kiwi 1st home owners out of the market.

For those that think rental property is a good investment, work out what return you would have made on AIA ( akld airport) shares if reinvested the dividends over last 10 years. Yeap, about 400%, hassle free. Buy a few extras in the occasional price dips and u would have done really welll, and that rental you brought would be owned by some young family, instead of paying some landlord an exhorbanent amount of rent each week. They would be living their own kiwi dream.
    Last edited by In4a$; 07-02-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    I have owned properties in NZ for nearly fifty years which have all increased in value by at least 10% per year. In most instances tenants paid them off for me. It was the dumb investors road to riches. First home buyers should get the GST content of their first new home back and added to their deposit. On resale of the property they then should be forced to pay back the gst on the resale value. That would cost nothing in the long term and solve the first home buyer problem. Fergus