sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    On the doghouse

Default Mobile Phones and Sharetrader Access

Anyone got any stories on how easy it has been to access 'sharetrader' through their mobile phones, either good bad or indifferent? Asking because I am considering purchasing a new mobile phone that can do this, but I don't want to buy something that is too cheap to do the job.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Corporate

Snoopy

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is basically the Iphone competitor. It is great for accessing and reading websites. However, Sharetrader is no where near as good as Hotcopper.

If you want a phone for browsing the web, I wouldn't skimp. You will only be disappointed!

Cheers,
    C

I have a Nokia C7. It uses the primative Symbian operating system and is a dreadful phone to access any internet site.
    Not particularly suitable for viewing Sharetrader and does not open the Directbroking site.
    The touch screen is too small and you tend to hit the wrong keys. AVOID this phone.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate View Post
    Snoopy
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is basically the Iphone competitor. It is great for accessing and reading websites. However, Sharetrader is no where near as good as Hotcopper.
    Can you expand on what you mean when you say Sharechat is not as good as Hotcopper? It doesn't load as quickly? Or it doesn't load at all? Any experience with uploading to both sites?

If you want a phone for browsing the web, I wouldn't skimp. You will only be disappointed!
    Appreciate the feedback very much Corporate. The thing is I am not sure I do want a phone for browsing the web, or more to the point I am not sure I want to pay for one to do that! I raised my question in the context of having to get a new phone before the Telecom CDMA is turned off. And I got to thinking that if I do need a new phone should I raise my sights a little higher?

I can see myself checking e-mails on the run, maybe flicking off the odd reply. Perhaps I would fire up the phone and look at sharetrader in airport waiting lounges. But as for watching videos on You Tube, well I don't need that functionality on a mobile. I am not sure I really need a top of the line phone given what I want to do with it.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-02-2012 at 04:16 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Heke View Post
    I have a Nokia C7. It uses the primative Symbian operating system and is a dreadful phone to access any internet site.
    Not particularly suitable for viewing Sharetrader and does not open the Directbroking site.
    The touch screen is too small and you tend to hit the wrong keys. AVOID this phone.
    Thanks for the feedback Heke. Just had a look on the GSM Arena website at the specs of your phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c7-3394.php

Superficially it looks quite good on paper. Memory information is as follows

Memory Card slot microSD, up to 32GB
    Internal 8 GB storage, 256 MB RAM, 1 GB ROM

256MB of RAM sounds pretty good. Is there anyone else out there who can get a phone of any sort with less RAM than that to work satisfactorily on Sharetrader?

Not sure why it wouldn't access Direct Broking though. Some security protocol incompatibility with Symbian?

As regards viewing Sharetrader your main gripe is what? The screen is just too small? Would appreciate any further feedback you can give.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Corporate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Can you expand on what you mean when you say Sharechat is not as good as Hotcopper? It doesn't load as quickly? Or it doesn't load at all? Any experience with uploading to both sites?

Appreciate the feedback very much Corporate. The thing is I am not sure I do want a phone for browsing the web, or more to the point I am not sure I want to pay for one to do that! I raised my question in the context of having to get a new phone before the Telecom CDMA is turned off. And I got to thinking that if I do need a new phone should I raise my sights a little higher?

I can see myself checking e-mails on the run, maybe flicking off the odd reply. Perhaps I would fire up the phone and look at sharetrader in airport waiting lounges. But as for watching videos on You Tube, well I don't need that functionality on a mobile. I am not sure I really need a top of the line phone given what I want to do with it.

SNOOPY
    Hi Snoppy

What I meant is that the Hot Copper site just seems to display much better on my phone due to the design of the website.
    For example I can read HC with the phone positioned vertically. While to get the text big enough, I have to turn the phone horizontally while on ST.
    There is no difference in the download or upload speed between the two.

I really like the phone because on the go I can;

send/receive emails
    download company annoucements to read
    log onto ASB securities

I didn't think I'd need all of the features but I can't imagine not having a hi spec phone now!

Cheers,
    C

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate View Post
    I didn't think I'd need all of the features but I can't imagine not having a hi spec phone now!
    Thanks for the clarification Corporate. BTW any idea what kind of Samsung Galaxy SII you have? I went to the GSM Arena Website

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...i727r-4376.php

and counted seven different phones that met your description, and that was just looking at page 1!

SNOOPY

Corporate

Jee I didn't know there was some many models!

Just this one here

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobil...Id=sku12060049

Thanks Snoopy. The C7 has a short battery life between charges.
    The operating system is slow to respond and if you enlarge the view
    using the “pinch” mode it could take you to an unwanted page.
    With sharetrader, if you want to select “page 15” for example, you
    may get page 14 or page 16. It will not display charts.
    Direct broking is a chart intensive site for the shares page.
    Going back to a previously viewed page is also a bit of a hit and
    miss affair. The screen is a bit dark compared to other makes of
    phones and is hard to read when outdoors. A problem when
    answering emails is that the phone has a curved back, meaning
    that you cannot put it on a tabletop and type your message,
    you need to hold the phone with your other hand.
    Trying to book hotels or flights is a chore and some sites are not
    compatible with the operating system.
    Wifi sensitivity is low, particularly at airports and free public sites.
    I think the reviews are written by “paid” reviewers.

The camera is good and using it as an ordinary phone is good.
    The GPS drops out too often to be reliable and applications “aps”
    have to be bought from Nokia whereas other phones have free
    applications.

Hi Snoopy,
    I've got the competitor to Corp - the iPhone 4s. I tend to upgrade each time....yep, one of those guys!
    The iPhone 4s has quite a lot smaller screen than some of the competitors, however is of great quality (human eye can't differentiate more pixels..)

I use it occasionally on sharetrader, and same as corp have to use the phone on it's side.
    You can always use the fingers to pinch and zoom to the text size you require.

If I was you, go to both Telecom and Vodafone and ask to try a few phones out. The good ones are generally hooked up so you can demo them and see how well they work for you.

Corp: FYI there is an app for hotcopper on the iPhone...you should check to see if one is out for Andriod yet.