sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I dont have a smartphone at this point but I still have a bit to say hahah.

I am using an Ipod Touch sometimes at home now to get away from the computer chair, and its ok for browsing and that includes Sharetrader, but of course it doesnt have 3G so you need a wifi zone if out and about.

From what I know the Samsung Galaxy S2 is a premium phone comparable in quality with the Iphone. Both will set you back well over a grand. But increasingly there are smartphones available at much lower prices that will do those straight forward email and web browsing tasks, as well as have cameras and music
    EG have a look here at the ones in the $0-500 section
    http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/compare
    Attachment 3852
    for example the HTC Wildfire at $399
    I am pretty sure if you checked it out you would find this would be a very functional smartphone

Even cheaper at $179 the Huawei X1 does nearly everything the HTC one does, still has a touch screen and a browser and email.
    If you're going really budget it may pay to get the saleman to confirm it does what you think it will.
    Make a list of what it is you want. eg camera. radio mp3 , document viewer and choose to fit that

Of course Iphones are nice....
    I've used one and an Ipad2 and they are easy and fun. Just really expensive.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Corporate

Just my personal opinion. Don't touch an Iphone unless it is a 4S. They are just way to slow!

I picked my Galaxy S2 up for $770 parallel import.

On the doghouse

I am using an Ipod Touch sometimes at home now to get away from the computer chair, and its ok for browsing and that includes Sharetrader, but of course it doesnt have 3G so you need a wifi zone if out and about.
    Excuse my ignorance Peat. But an Ipod Touch isn’t a phone is it? So how can you browse using it?

And if I can display my ignorance again, why can you not browse using a non 3G phone unless you are in a Wi-Fi zone?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Corp: FYI there is an app for hotcopper on the iPhone...you should check to see if one is out for Andriod yet.
    The more I read this thread the stupider I feel. At the risk of asking another dumb question: Upside-umop, why would you need an App for Hotcopper? What is the advantage of that, as opposed to simply going to the Hotcopper website?

SNOOPY

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Heke View Post
    Thanks Snoopy. The C7 has a short battery life between charges.
    The operating system is slow to respond and if you enlarge the view
    using the “pinch” mode it could take you to an unwanted page.
    With sharetrader, if you want to select “page 15” for example, you
    may get page 14 or page 16. It will not display charts.
    Direct broking is a chart intensive site for the shares page.
    Going back to a previously viewed page is also a bit of a hit and
    miss affair. The screen is a bit dark compared to other makes of
    phones and is hard to read when outdoors. A problem when
    answering emails is that the phone has a curved back, meaning
    that you cannot put it on a tabletop and type your message,
    you need to hold the phone with your other hand.
    Trying to book hotels or flights is a chore and some sites are not
    compatible with the operating system.
    Wifi sensitivity is low, particularly at airports and free public sites.
    I think the reviews are written by “paid” reviewers.

The camera is good and using it as an ordinary phone is good.
    The GPS drops out too often to be reliable and applications “aps”
    have to be bought from Nokia whereas other phones have free
    applications.
    Wow thanks Heke! I think what you have written is the best cellphone review I have ever read! Not the best for Nokia, obviously. But best in the sense of a real world user telling it exactly like it is. You raise issues that I had never thought of, like cellphones with curved backs being that much more awkward to operate, that I will now bear in mind during my search.

If I interpret your review correctly, you are less worried about the hardware grunt behind your machine than the clumsy to execute software that runs on it.

I note with interest your comments on battery life. This is a big concern of mine too. My enquiries so far lead me to believe that spare batteries for Nokia (unlike most other brands) are readily available. So I had thoughts, if I went the Nokia way, of buying a spare battery pack and keeping it charged just to make sure that I never ran out of juice. Maybe that might work for you too?

The other point I would make about battery life is that (I presume) the larger the screen and the brighter the screen the more power it will draw. This is partly what is leading me towards looking at QWERTY keyboard phones (like the Nokia C5-00 5MP), which tend to have smaller screens. The other advantage I see of the QWERTY keyboard is their convenience for creating text. Having said this I have been very surprised at the difference in feel and usability of the different QWERTY keyboards that I have tried.

I will throw one thing back at you regarding the archaic Symbian operating system. (I can’t believe I am writing that when just a few years ago Nokia was the market leader!) I know that mobile phone viruses are not a big issue as yet. But I am sure that as internet capable mobile devices get more popular, they will become an issue. If you have a slightly left field operating system then there is less chance that miscreants will spend time writing a virus for that system. Symbian devices could become safe havens. The downside is that there will be fewer applications written for the less popular architecture. But if you can get the applications that do what you want, perhaps this is not a game breaking issue?

Interested in any reflections from you (and others) this post might stir up.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 22-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate View Post
    Jee I didn't know there was some many models!

Just this one here

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobil...Id=sku12060049
    The specs match this model

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910..._s_ii-4327.php

I notice some of the other models have an 1850mAh battery pack, presumably for longer life between recharges. A possible upgrade for you Corporate?

SNOOPY

Guru

Snoopy - you need to decide exactly what you want the phone for.

If internet is gong to be a big part of it, I would go with a top teir phone like the iPhone or GalaxyS2. The reason being as they have better screen resolutions and the browser on them is better.

I use to have a Blackberry (only last year, latest model - $1k+) and it was like using ie4 compared to my previous phone (iPhone 3Gs). It just wasn't designed for browsing. The iphone is (with the exception of flash). The same is probably true for some of those cheaper Android phones - low resolution screens and over versions of Android may cause issues. (is this why they dont have working versions of these in store???)

Blackberrys are great for email and security but that is about it.

two points with smart phones:
    - you will need to charge them every night. They use the battery that quickly. If you are a light user and dont use GPS etc, you may get 2 days out of them but I wouldn't risk getting caught short (I read the herald, listen to music etc to and from work so a solid 1.5 hours of solid use).
    - data costs. the more you use, the more it costs. Hard to guess at the start but if you go on the correct plan, get a contract and you will get a subsidy on your phone. Unless you upgrade every year (I upgrade every second), I see no point in getting a phone off contract. Because I got a 2 year contract, I think my iPhone only cost $250(??) rather than ~$1000 paralleled imported.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Nokia C7 further comments: Like all techie type devices it takes some time to get a feel of their oddities. The hardware grunt is a bit slow when you browse the internet and not having a fully functioning back button is a pain.
    In my work, I take up to 10 pictures a day and send and receive about 20 texts, some
    include images that are slow to load. Voice coversations are about 30 mins a day.
    The battery indicator has 8 bars (full) but drops to 2 bars on day 3. The remaining 2 bars will not last another day. Spare batteries are available from trademe for $10 to $15. Just remember to set the date and time when you change the battery.
    The symbian operating system is not always compatible with Microsoft based websites and some functions are not there. Sadly, miscreants can still hide themselves in your browser “history”.
    Brighter screens do use more battery rather than the touch-screen qwerty, but the C7
    brightness is a bit too dark for outdoor use. I have spoken to those users of button
    qwerty keyboards and they complain of sore thumbs and fingers – a no win situation.
    Hopefully the free Nokia firmware upgrade may unbug some of the present software.

Good luck in your search for a new phone. Thanks to the other comments to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Peat. But an Ipod Touch isn’t a phone is it? So how can you browse using it?

And if I can display my ignorance again, why can you not browse using a non 3G phone unless you are in a Wi-Fi zone?

SNOOPY
    The Ipod Touch has a browser (Safari) and it uses wifi to access the internet. Believe me you can do internet but not anywhere like a 3G phone
    Not quite sure how to answer your other question, but 3G is the full mobile access provided by the telco whereas wifi capability gives internet where you have a wireless access point such as cafes or at your home.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    The Ipod Touch has a browser (Safari) and it uses wifi to access the internet. Believe me you can do internet but not anywhere like a 3G phone
    Not quite sure how to answer your other question, but 3G is the full mobile access provided by the telco whereas wifi capability gives internet where you have a wireless access point such as cafes or at your home.
    An ipod touch does pretty much everything an iPhone can do (except be a phone, can use skype/viber though), but only when connect to wifi. Therefore very similar when at home but once you walk out the door, you are not connect to telecom/vodafone/etc so it reverts back to just being a music/game machine.

They must be handy in universities in the US where if you live on campus and the campus has free wifi, an ipod touch would be pretty much all you need.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk