sharetrader
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The more I read this thread the stupider I feel. At the risk of asking another dumb question: Upside-umop, why would you need an App for Hotcopper? What is the advantage of that, as opposed to simply going to the Hotcopper website?

SNOOPY
    Not a dumb question at all Snoopy. An app basically optimises a program or website for the phone. This will mean you won't have to zoom in for specific links and tags as they will be the right size for the phone.

Some websites are even optimised for a mobile too and appears much different than what a computer screen shows. Such as stuff.co.nz....so it's usually readable on any phone. I'm looking forward to when sharetrader is in such a format!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by upside_umop View Post
    Not a dumb question at all Snoopy. An app basically optimises a program or website for the phone. This will mean you won't have to zoom in for specific links and tags as they will be the right size for the phone.

Some websites are even optimised for a mobile too and appears much different than what a computer screen shows. Such as stuff.co.nz....so it's usually readable on any phone. I'm looking forward to when sharetrader is in such a format!
    Thanks for the explanation upside_umop. A Sharetrader App looks like a job for Vince. Hopefully he is still working for Sharetrader and reading this!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 05-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    3G is the full mobile access provided by the telco whereas wifi capability gives internet where you have a wireless access point such as cafes or at your home.
    Sorry to be so technically ignorant Peat. But what equipment would I need to buy to have wireless access in my home?

TIA

SNOOPY

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I use to have a Blackberry (only last year, latest model - $1k+) and it was like using ie4 compared to my previous phone (iPhone 3Gs). It just wasn't designed for browsing. The iphone is (with the exception of flash).

Blackberrys are great for email and security but that is about it.
    This comes as a big shock to me. Up until now I have regarded Blackberry as the businessman's tool of preference. I was eyeing up one of the lower level ones hoping the quality would trickle down from the hi-spec models, while functionality would still be adequate. I think you just saved me around $500 poorly spent CJ!

SNOOPY

Thanks for the explanation upside_umop. A Sharetrader App looks like a job for Vince. Hopefully he is still working for Sharetrader and reading this!

SNOOPY

SNOOPY
    There is a cross platform app called Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/) that is designed for reading forums on mobile phones. It is compatible with vBulletin forums (which sharetrader is). I have not used or seen it so cannot vouch if it is any good or not but it appears to get good reviews.

It is available for iPhone, Android & Blackberry. It is free for the forum to join - though the forum owner needs to register with Tapatalk first. The end user has to pay a one off $3.00 charge for the app however.

If anyone has any experience with it and can recommend it, maybe we could get the appropriate people to join Sharetrader up??

On the doghouse

My current phone has no web functionality. So anything will look good by comparison. I figure that never having used a high tech phone, I can probably continue to live without one.

Am coming down to the idea of having Wifi capability. But I wouldn't be too worried if it is a bit slow.

Perhaps something like this?

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_200-4281.php

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 05-03-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Sorry to be so technically ignorant Peat. But what equipment would I need to buy to have wireless access in my home?

TIA

SNOOPY
    these days the router/modem that is used for wired internet access (DSL using the phone line) nearly always incorporates a WAP (wireless access point).
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Corporate

This comes as a big shock to me. Up until now I have regarded Blackberry as the businessman's tool of preference. I was eyeing up one of the lower level ones hoping the quality would trickle down from the hi-spec models, while functionality would still be adequate. I think you just saved me around $500 poorly spent CJ!

SNOOPY
    Don't touch a blackberry...very out of date!

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate View Post
    Don't touch a blackberry...very out of date!
    Attachment 3860
    Pheadrus would agree.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

On the doghouse

My current phone has no web functionality. So anything will look good by comparison. I figure that never having used a high tech phone, I can probably continue to live without one.

Am coming down to the idea of having Wifi capability. But I wouldn't be too worried if it is a bit slow.

Perhaps something like this?

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_200-4281.php
    Had a look at a Nokia Asha (higher spec) phone in a shap the other day. It had the dreaded rounded back :-(

I found that the gsmarena website has 360 degree rotational views of all the phones they feature. It is hard to be absolutely sure from the pictures. But it looks like the Nokia C3, a similar spec phone has a back that is not so rounded.

Then I looked at the Nokia E63 which is a rather higher spec phone but older (2008), and with a squarer back. On the Warehouse website the E63 and C3 were the same price(!)

The E63 is a 2G/3G phone and one item in the spec sheet caught my attention.

Talk time: Up to 11 h (2G) / 4 h 40 min (3G)

Can anyone enlighted me as to why the estimated talk time for this one phone (on one charge) is so much greater on the 2G network, as opposed to the 3G network?

SNOOPY