sharetrader
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    , , New Zealand.
    Posts
    145

    Default

    But on fees every year you pay 0.6% to superlife or 1.1% to Milford of your total funds

  2. #22
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p2r View Post
    But on fees every year you pay 0.6% to superlife or 1.1% to Milford of your total funds
    Dont forget that Milford also takes a performance fee. Good incentive for them to do well but not well targeted in my opinion. A rising tide lifts all boats so a even if they perform well just because the NZX performs well, then they get the performance fee. Ideally it should be payable only if the fund performs over and above the index.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland , New Zealand.
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I have put my 4yr old and 7yr old into a westpac kiwisaver. I did have to open an account for them and make one deposit a year but at least they have no fees. They were briefly with fisher but i could see the fees would erode the intial capital especially since im not contributing at the moment for them.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyO View Post
    I have put my 4yr old and 7yr old into a westpac kiwisaver. I did have to open an account for them and make one deposit a year but at least they have no fees. They were briefly with fisher but i could see the fees would erode the intial capital especially since im not contributing at the moment for them.
    I have considered to this for my baby but have decided against it at this stage. The benefit is the $1000 kick start but my view was this would be errored by inflation and fees by the time they are 18 (ie. when they start contributing) that the beneift is minimal and may have implications - ie. once in, you may not be able to elect out so he might have to do kiwisaver on his paper round.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  5. #25
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    I am with Superlife but am starting to wonder about their investment decisions.

    They have taken part in two placements (exclusive) recently at market value - Energy Mad and Wellington Drive. Considering both are basket cases, you would expect them to get the placement at a discount!

    Any thoughts on this. Maybe I should have chosen Milford who was my second pick but I liked the flexibility to choose investment options at Superlife.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I am with Superlife but am starting to wonder about their investment decisions.

    They have taken part in two placements (exclusive) recently at market value - Energy Mad and Wellington Drive. Considering both are basket cases, you would expect them to get the placement at a discount!

    Any thoughts on this. Maybe I should have chosen Milford who was my second pick but I liked the flexibility to choose investment options at Superlife.
    I totally agree. Are they are mad investing in MAD and WDT? Still, Milford recently invested in MOA!!!

    I like Piefunds aussie portfolio of small caps. Have owned many of the stocks on his list in the past. However, expect it to take an exaggerated hit on a market correction.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Noodle - Pie funds don't do Kiwisaver. I wish there was a DIY option for Kiwisaver like the Ozzies have
    Just goes to show the lack of good investments in NZ for the flood of Kiwisaver funds
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Noodle - Pie funds don't do Kiwisaver. I wish there was a DIY option for Kiwisaver like the Ozzies have
    Just goes to show the lack of good investments in NZ for the flood of Kiwisaver funds
    Totally agree about the self-managed funds. Perhaps if kiwisaver becomes compulsory, this might be an option. I don't like other people managing my money. Not even Brian Gaynor

    DISC: Not in Kiwisaver

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Actually, I think Craigs might do a hybrid self managed kiwisaver.
    http://www.craigsip.com/Services/Kiw...RT-Select.aspx

  10. #30
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Actually, I think Craigs might do a hybrid self managed kiwisaver.
    http://www.craigsip.com/Services/Kiw...RT-Select.aspx
    I did look at that but I decided not to at this point because of high fees.

    Annual fee Management fee Brokerage
    Craigs: $60 1.25% 1.25% buy and sell
    Superlife $33 0.3 - 0.77%* 0% to switch funds

    *NZ shares is 0.4% by way of comparison.

    As my fund gets bigger I might consider it but at this stage, the average fees per year would be quite high, and there would be a lot of buying small parcels (think about how much you would contribute each month - do you choose a share monthly or just wait till you get a reasonable amount ($5k+) which may take awhile at minimum contributions, even with an above average salary?).

    NOte: From memory, in Australia even the providers dont recommend a self mananged super scheme unless your fund is over $100k due to costs, though you can throw all sorts of things in like your home and get a tax benefit.
    Last edited by CJ; 19-12-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Edit: I tried to format the fees as a table but it appears as if that didn't work.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    205

    Default

    As kiwisaver matures we will get more flexibility and more options.
    You make your own luck.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    , , New Zealand.
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Well looks like it is not kiwisaver that has been boosting nz shares. More super fund & overseas managed funds maybe.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10861481

    I think maybe having a lot in bonds is not going to return much so shares could be better, turning to cash at some stage.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waitakere New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Tumeric probably the same as banking they stuffed most things up by going with national bank web site instead of the excellent ANZ one. What a balls up probably just just shifted the balance & not the details.
    Possum The Cat

  14. #34
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down & out
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    A little anecdote regarding my experience with Onepath:
    So I am a full time student and therefore do not contribute a whole lot to my kiwisaver fund via contributions taken from my wages. As a result every year I get in touch with my provider to get a financial year to date summary to determine how much money I will need to deposit to make sure I get the full government contribution for the year (the member tax credit).
    This year I was a little early in making my call to Onepath (my new provider as of this time last year). Long story short , the Lady I spoke to said she wasn’t able to give me this summary, rather she would send me via post a document containing all the transactions made in my Kiwisaver funds this financial year (roughly a 20 page document) and I should add them all up. I told her that there was no way I wanted to add up 20 pages of numbers, her reply was “neither do we”!!
    I said to her surely as the provider surely she should be able to provide me these details. She put me on hold, talked to her supervisor, and came back and said the information would be in the mail. I said, great, but I wanted to confirm that the information I wanted would be in there, summarised as I had requested. She said” yup it will be there”. Sure enough 5 days later I received a 20 page document with NO summary.
    I have since called again and made an official complaint. One path have NOT made contact with me. I am, on principle now looking for a new provider. One that on the surface at least gives 2 sh#ts about me as a customer and one that knows what they are doing!
    Any recommendations on good providers??
    Tumeric I have my children with One Path and my wife and I are with Gareth Morgan Kiwisaver. While the returns have been slightly higher for One Path so far, the GMK program has a great and very informative website and great support staff. One Path's reporting and information is pathetic in comparison. Just my 2 cents worth on their reporting and not meant to be recommending any particular service providers as investment choices.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Tumeric I have my children with One Path and my wife and I are with Gareth Morgan Kiwisaver. While the returns have been slightly higher for One Path so far, the GMK program has a great and very informative website and great support staff. One Path's reporting and information is pathetic in comparison. Just my 2 cents worth on their reporting and not meant to be recommending any particular service providers as investment choices.
    I have heard Gareth morgan is good.

    I also like Superlife. You can login and see your balances and returns for any time period.
    You make your own luck.

  16. #36
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Have you logged on to your kiwisaver part of the IRD. All transactions through your pay are there, even if a bit delayed.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    361

    Default

    I just use asb what does everyone think of them. Who has the highest return and is the most stable.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
    I just use asb what does everyone think of them. Who has the highest return and is the most stable.
    I don't like the bank kiwisaver providers. You are better of to choosing a specialist investment manager.
    You make your own luck.

  19. #39
    Member RazorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    172

    Default

    If knowing where your money is invested, and very clear easy to read reporting are important to you then Gareth Morgan is the place to go. Might not have the highest return in the market, but I think their investment decisions are sound and are less likely to take a massive hit when the market downturns. (Which it will)

    The other two I'd consider are Milford and Superlife kiwisavers.

    (Disc I'm with Gareth Morgan)
    Last edited by RazorX; 12-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    "Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
    "Today is already the tomorrow which the bad economist yesterday urged us to ignore" H Hazlitt

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I don't like the bank kiwisaver providers. You are better of to choosing a specialist investment manager.
    Do you mind elaborating. would be great if you had a chart or something with the returns and whatnot each provider provides

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •