sharetrader

Default NZ Proprietary trading firms

Just thought I would put out some feelers incase my research/assumptions are wrong.

Im about to graduate uni this year and am wanting to get into trading equities/futures for a firm similar to smbcapital.com

Now from what I have found there are no such firms in NZ? or are there?? as my closet options are Aus, which has 4 firms (2 being market makers however) then HK. Off course there is the US and EU but its a bit far if there are as good opportunities on this side of the globe.

If anybody does know of any prop firms in NZ that would be great and I would appreciate a contact number/link

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I'm interested to know how you got on. I'm at uni and am wanting to get into trading and eventually end up at a hedge fund. I would be keen to know if you found and entry opportunities for graduates, in NZ and overseas.

Cheers

there are no firms like this in NZ or Australia. Prop trading is dead.

If you want to get into hedge funds you will need to start out as an investment banker or as an investment analyst - these jobs are incredibly scarce the world over and the competition is very high. Perhaps reconsider a more realistic career path or if you are really serious - read up on wallstreetoasis.com

My advice would be do accounting - boring as hell but solid and easy to get work

Leverage up on CFD's and become your own 'prop' trader. !

For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Leverage up on CFD's and become your own 'prop' trader. !
    Works fantastic in a rising market.

Imagine having bought DIL (up about 80% this year) on huge leverage. I am sure others could suggest even better past investment (with hindsight).
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by marknz88 View Post
    Just thought I would put out some feelers incase my research/assumptions are wrong.

Im about to graduate uni this year and am wanting to get into trading equities/futures for a firm similar to smbcapital.com

Now from what I have found there are no such firms in NZ? or are there?? as my closet options are Aus, which has 4 firms (2 being market makers however) then HK. Off course there is the US and EU but its a bit far if there are as good opportunities on this side of the globe.

If anybody does know of any prop firms in NZ that would be great and I would appreciate a contact number/link

Thanks in advance.
    There is a NZ company which trades on the major Futures exchanges. It is looking to offer a 3m internship that would train a volunteer to trade and place orders periodically throughout the day. The intern would be initially unpaid but remuneratation would be based upon future performance. Send me a PM of interest with your background.
    Last edited by smpl; 09-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjakiwi View Post
    Hey, I'm interested to know how you got on. I'm at uni and am wanting to get into trading and eventually end up at a hedge fund. I would be keen to know if you found and entry opportunities for graduates, in NZ and overseas.

Cheers
    This is a Sydney based firm - you can apply online for their Junior trading program

http://www.tibracareers.com/tibra_ca...rading_program

Tibra Junior Trading Program

Trading live markets within 8 weeks

Our Junior trading program is designed to get the best people into the trading room and trading fast: building their skills, and honing their instincts as soon possible.
    It begins with 4 weeks intensive theory training and continues with a specifically designed program to give you insight into international financial markets.
    This is followed by simulated training, 'live' training and then real time mentoring with a senior trader.

If you’re successful you’ll be trading in live markets within 8 weeks.
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!

Genesis in Auckland has a prop desk that is looking to hire a Junior Trader. Send your email address for more info.