Quote Originally Posted by toast2success View Post
Back to the $1mil in 10-15yrs , realistic ?
Definitely is. I am 35 and achieved that goal (from a zero base) 2 years ago.

I now have a mortgage free house and a substantial investment portfolio and no debt.

Made the most money from micro-cap investing (sub $10m m/c) and building positions when no one else was interested in them. I am happy to take big risks and average down where possible, because (and this will sound arrogant) I back myself as having done more research and have better skills and market knowledge than the average investor.

Have had countless multi-baggers and a few 20/30/40 baggers, which obviously have a massive impact on your portfolio...there have been many disasters as well, but you put that behind you and get on with the next opportunity.

The key for me now is position sizing - I start small with high risk option/micro-cap investments and then as the company de-risks the market value of my investment will increase or I will convert options and then end up with a meaningful size holding in a lower risk company.

You also need to have a handle on the broader dynamics of the market. For example at the moment you don't want to be stuck with a whole lot of resources investments (with junior explorers at a 3 year low). So over the last couple of years I have been leveraging wins from resources plays into investments in other sectors.

There are always opportunities, you just got to be across all the various sectors and industries, try and follow as many companies as you can, do your research, then pounce when the opportunity presents itself.