sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tax

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I read that fif does not apply if you are a trader...
    http://www.ird.govt.nz/toii/fif/how-...tax-threshold/
    That only appears to apply to the $50k de minimus level in the link you posted. Did you have another reference regarding the use of fair dividend rate? Would be interesting to know - it has been sometime since I read through the regulation, but I thought it did not materially distinguish.

I have a tax query. I trade stock options in the US market so have exchange rate (ER) complications. I am calculating tax on monthly profits/losses based on the varying mid month ER value provided by the tax dept. Is this correct?

Also, how must any ER advantage/disadvantage from opening bal to closing balance in my trading account for the the tax year be taken into account? Is this shown as a tax gain/loss or taken into account in my books of account as a capital gain/loss.

Any advice much appreciated thanks

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by david298 View Post
    Also, how must any ER advantage/disadvantage from opening bal to closing balance in my trading account for the the tax year be taken into account? Is this shown as a tax gain/loss or taken into account in my books of account as a capital gain/loss.
    Do you hold the account in your own name or in a company/trust. is the balance of all your financial arrangements under $1m?

If in own name and under $1m (the threashold might actually be higher) then you will be a 'cash basis holder' so only return gains as you receive them. I have no idea how that would work as I assume you would only receive the benefit once you close down the account which if you have lots of ins and outs, will be impossible to track the forex component.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk