sharetrader
    Guru

Default Corning Inc (GLW) showing a vision of the future

First of all the bad news..yesterday GLW reported a 39% drop in profit ...Shareprice reacted as you would expect it broke support and suffered more technical damage.(see chart)

Ed..the chart was created for a mate of mine He said "with my futurist views why haven't I invested in Cornings Inc? "...TA is crap atm also FA-wise this breaking (pun) glass technology is very low cost so the profit margins are quickly eroded when Competitors enter...eg flat panel TV market.

It's not a stock for everyone....but I watch it because I have mental issues ...I'm a self-confessed Exponential Thinker and I respect some weird people such as Ray Kurzweil who think that the change in the world occurs at an exponential rate rather than at a linear rate, therefore I believe that the way people will conduct their everyday lives will change in a sudden leaps when a new innovation is invented and made into reality.

Innovative Companies are not rare the most famous and most successful one of course is Apple.
    Corning Inc is one ...amazing, for a glass company that is 160 years old.

The foresight and Vision Corning Inc has in designing glass has changed the world many times in the past..
    They designed the glass for Edison to make his light bulb ...who hasn't got a light bulb these days...eh?
    They in the 1930's created lenses to make Car lights operate.
    The changed the way women use to cook in the kitchen with the invention of Pryex glass dishes back in 1915.
    Car windshields changed in 1962 when Corning designed the much safer toughened glass the stuff that shattered in to little pieces. This was an economic product failure for Cornings!!!!!...... due to lack of safety laws.
    Another innovative product failure was fibre optic tubes!!!!!!!(1970's)....why did these products fail ....produced too soon and the companies had no incentive at that time to adapt the products in to everyday use....Cornings failure was thinking too far into the future and too many non - believers that Fibre optics would ever replace the copper wire.
    They were the makers of Cathode Ray glass tubing for TV's and later using glass technology to make LCD panels.

When Corning Inc succeed best was when another company is involved at the onset of a new innovation such as Apple using Cornings Gorilla Glass for their first I-pad.
    Gorilla glass has huge benefits, it is light and strong and Corning has visions that this glass is so strong it can make skyscrapers out of it.
    Apple is not alone in recognizing Corning Inc visions becoming reality. Samsung has co-joined Cornings to open a plant in South Korea and will in China in 2013.

Cornings Visions tend to become true whether they are successes or failures. After "too soon" product failures Cornings have prototypes waiting for innovative companies to pick up and run with it..be it Apple Samsung or whoever.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

My interest in Cornings is more to do with my visions of what the "near" future would look like and as an Stock investor be able to avoid investing in companies that may be left behind when a sudden shift within its markets occurs and they didn't have sufficient vision to foresee it. ..e.g Nokia??
    Basically...I want to know now what 2020 could look like.

Remember::::: Cornings vision of the future has been reliably accurate for 160 years
    Remember::::: Exponential Thinking ...the future changes at exponential rate not linear rate..so looking back with reference to moving forward is linear thinking. Innovation creates rapid changes that can be often unthought of 20 years ago..e.g the power of the smart phones and the progress of the population to being totally!! reliant on this Technology in everyday life.

Must Watch Video:
    ..............Cornings view of the near future "A Day made of Glass part one (made in 2011)...remember this smart glass (invisible circuitry) exists today.

A Day made of Glass Part 2 (2012)...
    Would be of interest to Billy Boy and others thinking solar cells...And would ask the question why are the electric companies building up capital reserve to build new dams of other such large scale power plants when it seems every private building will be capable of generating its own power to run the much low voltage future technology...An example of Electric power Companies using linear thinking...eh

Hmmmm...OK anyone out there still want to invest long term in a wallpaper company or paint Company.

Cornings Inc is 350th largest company in the world employs 26,000 people

Last edited by Hoop; 26-07-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Hoop - means you have to take the long term view eh? And ride out the ups and downs along the way

Like you find it impressive that they appear to be willing to change and not be left behind .... but somehow I think this is good test for the current mantra of the markets (ie greedy insto's) demanding growth every quarter versus the imperative of providing a sustainable future for all of us. I fear both can't happen at the same time

Good post

Hoop says "Hmmmm...OK anyone out there still want to invest long term in a wallpaper company or paint Company."

No reason why you shouldn't as long as that wallpaper or paint company thinks about the future like Corning .... and maybe have to face up to the fact that 'paint' might not be like it is now (isn't that much different from what was used in the Cistern Chapel anyway) and need to think more like a coatings company (whatever that might mean in the future)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Hoop says "Hmmmm...OK anyone out there still want to invest long term in a wallpaper company or paint Company."

No reason why you shouldn't as long as that wallpaper or paint company thinks about the future like Corning .... and maybe have to face up to the fact that 'paint' might not be like it is now (isn't that much different from what was used in the Cistern Chapel anyway) and need to think more like a coatings company (whatever that might mean in the future)
    Yes that was a silly Hmmmm quote wasn't it...I was thinking of the old traditional companies set in their ways and will eventually be forced to change ....I wonder if Guthrie Bowron would be selling this stuff this year..

true...Actually there is paint invented that acts as solar cells
    also OLED wallpaper due to be released for sale this year
    Last edited by Hoop; 26-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Hoop - PPG are one of the largest paint (coatings) in the world while still doing their bit with glass (after all it is Pittsburg Plate Glass Co)

They have a JV with Pleotint with some new technology (themrochromatic interactive glass) thats highly regarded
    http://www.pleotint.com/

Can't imagine Guthrie Bowron selling this. I was in their new Auckland store the other day and asked why were they selling candles of all things. We are targeting the upmarket / yuppie homeowner they said but I had to tell them jeez not even ECOYA candles - that's what those with too much money want

Why did you pick on Guthrie Bowron as an example of an 'old traditional companies set in their ways' - love to know