sharetrader

Thread: Seek (SEK):

Advanced Member

Default Seek (SEK):

For those looking to profitably reduce their dependence on the mining and energy sectors, I suggest you consider the merits of this one (Can't find an existing thread). A good rise today (8.5%) - no doubt driven by the surprising addition of 40,000 to the Aust workforce in the latest monthly stat, and the rising numbers of job ads - and continuing a healthy and steady upwards trend; its the sort of chart that helps to make me sleep well at night.

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
    For those looking to profitably reduce their dependence on the mining and energy sectors, I suggest you consider the merits of this one (Can't find an existing thread). A good rise today (8.5%) - no doubt driven by the surprising addition of 40,000 to the Aust workforce in the latest monthly stat, and the rising numbers of job ads - and continuing a healthy and steady upwards trend; its the sort of chart that helps to make me sleep well at night.
    While i agree the likes of Seek, REA Group (real estate.com) and carsales.com (CRZ) will provide good exposure to a recovering advertising market, it is a little known fact that it is actually Fairfax Media that generates the largest amount of earnings from online advertising than anyone else (EBITDA of $100m + in FYO9).

Everyone (well particuarly the non-fairfax media) loves to bash fairfax and especially its leadership under David Kirk and Ron Walker and go on about how fairfax is on its last legs, but the reality is that the diversification of FXJ into radio, rural and online (domain.com.au , RSVP.com, mycareer.com.au , drive.com.au and trademe.co.nz) has positioned FXJ far stronger than the anti-fairfax brigade make out.
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve fleming View Post
    While i agree the likes of Seek, REA Group (real estate.com) and carsales.com (CRZ) will provide good exposure to a recovering advertising market, it is a little known fact that it is actually Fairfax Media that generates the largest amount of earnings from online advertising than anyone else (EBITDA of $100m + in FYO9).

Everyone (well particuarly the non-fairfax media) loves to bash fairfax and especially its leadership under David Kirk and Ron Walker and go on about how fairfax is on its last legs, but the reality is that the diversification of FXJ into radio, rural and online (domain.com.au , RSVP.com, mycareer.com.au , drive.com.au and trademe.co.nz) has positioned FXJ far stronger than the anti-fairfax brigade make out.
    Thanks, Steve. Of the ones you mention, SEK seems to have outstripped them all, over the past 6 months, but FXJ is obviously one worth watching.

(Gee, your "multi-baggers" look impressive - you've obviously got the Midas touch - you're worth watching! Pity you're finding the pickings getting rather slim, now.)
    Last edited by COLIN; 12-10-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Correction to FXJ code

SEK is far too expensive to buy fundamentally. Its a bit like WTF. great company great stock. but overpriced.
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

Super Investor

There is a huge expected growth factor built into the sp. Value has gone out the window. Seek value elsewhere.
    Last edited by h2so4; 12-10-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    h2

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    There is a huge expected growth factor built into the sp. Value has gone out the window. Seek value elsewhere.
    Well, Hydro, its a funny old world. I notice that you hold CAB and RCR. I actually sold my CAB to buy SEK last week. CAB have been going nowhere, for some time, but my investment in SEK is already showing a 12% gain for the week - notwithstanding today's little setback. I also sold my RCR for a 100% gain when they hit $1.25, in early September, and I note that they are still around that mark.

BUY INTO STRENGTH, SELL INTO WEAKNESS.

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
    Well, Hydro, its a funny old world. I notice that you hold CAB and RCR. I actually sold my CAB to buy SEK last week. CAB have been going nowhere, for some time, but my investment in SEK is already showing a 12% gain for the week - notwithstanding today's little setback. I also sold my RCR for a 100% gain when they hit $1.25, in early September, and I note that they are still around that mark.

BUY INTO STRENGTH, SELL INTO WEAKNESS.
    Yes indeed, the laws of the universe often play tricks. But value and price are different worlds. There is no hide and Seek for me. I am happy holding CAB and RCR. And I'm happy screaming SEK aren't worth that much

Hey nice profits by the way.
    Last edited by h2so4; 13-10-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    h2

Always fun when shorts produce damning reports

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...02-p56aox.html
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”