sharetrader
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

OCA - Held since IPO listing.

MFT - Held for around 2 years, great company. I work in the Supply Chain industry and have worked with them in the past. Great company, great results. Check out the price today, an all-time high today after recent announcements.

POT - Steady growth, good board. 2 years holding.

As someone earlier said, invest in companies, not ticker symbols. These companies are all ones I wish to hold up to I retire as I believe they will be around in another 40 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    I am impressed anyone can pick just 3.

From my holdings the 3 I am most comfortable with:

TeamTalk, well managed and a good dividend.
    Pumpkin Patch, a turnaround story that I understand, recent prospects with a massive increase in wholesale and online make for positive medium term.
    Methven, well managed, slightly effected by construction downturn, but great innovative product set and a healthy dividend.

3 additional higher risk stocks, fletchers, once the rebuild is in full swing, the stock will be rerated higher, Cavalier, higher risk, but still the leading brand in carpets, and Rakon, very high risk, however if there fortunes change, they will easily double from here, and they are so hated at the moment.

Wow, just wow... from 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    Wow, just wow... from 2012
    Interesting take on Pumpkin Patch because at that time I was deciding between FPA and Pumpkin. The numbers showed a similar story BUT I had seen the Pumpkin store expansion overseas at it appeared dreadful, poorly set up, poor sales assistants, just expanded in the cheap way using not engaged cheap labour to sell the goods. Needless to say, I chose FPA for 37 cps and I think they were bought out for something over 125 cps a year later?

Hmmm, an index fund tracking the NZX is probably the easiest for NZ unless you always get it right.

Veteran novice

Don't need to always get it right if one holds multi-baggers like EBO, SUM and RYM, eh, David B?

They're my favourites, too.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Don't need to always get it right if one holds multi-baggers like EBO, SUM and RYM, eh, David B?

They're my favourites, too.
    One area of concern with Ryman, which may equally apply to all care of elderly providers. There seems to be a an excessive reliance in their facilities on Nursing and HCA staff who are in NZ on 2 year work visas. Any industry which engages in this runs the risk of
    1. Changes in government policy concerning non resident workers
    2 Labour competition from other countries which are in a similar position.

The era of a plentiful supply of an inexpensive labour is coming rapidly to an end. Labour intensive industries, especially healthcare will be exposed to the full impact of this.

Make the the most of the good dividends, I am not sure how sustainable they are.
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 04-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    One area of concern with Ryman, which may equally apply to all care of elderly providers. There seems to be a an excessive reliance in their facilities on Nursing and HCA staff who are in NZ on 2 year work visas. Any industry which engages in this runs the risk of
    1. Changes in government policy concerning non resident workers
    2 Labour competition from other countries which are in a similar position.

The era of a plentiful supply of an inexpensive labour is coming rapidly to an end. Labour intensive industries, especially healthcare will be exposed to the full impact of this.

Make the the most of the good dividends, I am not sure how sustainable they are.
    The government also understand we rely on overseas people to fill the gaps the locals can’t or won’t do. All of the local caregivers within Ryman I have spoken to confirm that if they had to rely on locals, the quality of caregivers would be less. They hire overseas people because of their culture to nurture and care. A Hawkes bay kiwi caregiver told me, “most of the New Zealand caregivers only seem to complain about the money and forget why they became caregivers”.

Anyway the three long term companies for me would have to be SUM, ATM and lastly OCA which is in its early days, so maybe too early to see for that one. Oh and maybe Synlait needs to be noted in this one as well.

Banned

My favourite 3 NZX stocks are whatever 3 happen to be in my portfolio at any given time, trouble is I have 4 in my portfolio currently.

DGL (well executed, long-term growth strategy); MFT (focussed on improvement and growth); FPH (they have made me so much money, and they are an ongoing NZ tech success story)

Favourite stocks from the point of view of being the most interesting and having the possibility of flying high or crashing and burning NTL. QEX. PLX.