sharetrader
Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    With all due respect when it comes to alcohol chinese focus on branding and perceived status, not taste.

For instance, Penfolds Grange is wildly popular in China, not for the taste, but for the prestige (Red Wine is often mixed with Coca Cola for instance).

https://www.smh.com.au/world/chinese...16-gzmnh3.html

Moutai is a great example as well, its popular because its expensive and prestigious.

As for MoBev, the presser states its focused on Australian and NZ markets, not China.

As for a cross section of NZ, Moa needs to improve its margin on its product range, craft beer has high input costs (more ingredients hops etc), if you're selling your high input costs 12 pack for $20 and your competitor (Tuatara, Panhead etc) are selling theirs for $35-$40 a doz, then are you really positioned right?
    A client gave me a bottle of Penfolds Grange a few years ago.

What an extravagance ...my Mum would have turned in your grave if she knew I contemplated drinking it ....I couldn't bring myself to even have a sip

I gave it away

Apparently it was pretty good .... but then he had to say that eh
    Last edited by winner69; 02-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Hi Glenn,were your drinker friends a good cross section of the NZ population? You have to remember NZ's ethnicity is changing fast.For example the chinese like a beer or two,but they would not drink Lion red for example it is to sweet for them.
    We would only have represented middle and working class Kiwis of Maori and European descent. Do you think Moa is targeting the Chinese as customers? I would think if prestige and not taste was the biggest consideration when buying that there would be many more prestigious beers out there than those produced by Moa.

Quote Originally Posted by glennj View Post
    We would only have represented middle and working class Kiwis of Maori and European descent. Do you think Moa is targeting the Chinese as customers? I would think if prestige and not taste was the biggest consideration when buying that there would be many more prestigious beers out there than those produced by Moa.
    When I was last in china on business,we were taken to actual chinese restaurants where they did not cater for tourists,not much wine was sold but the customers were swilling from 1 ltr bottles of beer were just your everyday brand.(it was quite nice actually,can't say the same for the great wall wines)
    It's true though that managing directors of chinese companies believe very much in prestige(what we call dress to impress)>They tend to drive the BMW and Mercs etc and buy the best of the best,but it certainly does not apply to the middle income class that make up the majority of the beer drinkers.
    Whether it is the same model in NZ,I don't know,as to who Moa are targeting their products to.I suspect even they don't know.

I understand you can pick up Moa cider in chengdu, china

Quote Originally Posted by glennj View Post
    Moa seems to have marketing hype.
    Selling booze is all about marketing hype. The ingredients of beer are water organic solvents sugar and CO2 gas costing pennies to manufacture.

Even the big boys do marketing hype. One of NZ's leading booze brands want you to think their product is brewed by rugged individuals in the back blocks of Otago when it is actually made in Auckland using recycled pee from the Waikato River.

Moa's objective is not quality but quantity, to sell enough to become a burr under the saddle of a major brewer and provoke them into making a bid to take them out.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 03-05-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: grammar
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Selling booze is all about marketing hype. The ingredients of beer are water organic solvents sugar and CO2 gas costing pennies to manufacture.

Even the big boys do marketing hype. One of NZ's leading booze brands want you to think their product is brewed by rugged individuals in the back blocks of Otago when it is actually made in Auckland using recycled pee from the Waikato River.

Moa's objective is not quality but quantity, to sell enough to become a burr under the saddle of a major brewer and provoke them into making a bid to take them out.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    If that's the objective then:

1. They're failing miserably. The quantity Moa are shifting in NZ is inconsequential to either Lion or DB.

2. It contradicts everything about the export vision for success that Moa themselves keep trumpeting. The latest of this being in to China.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    ...not much wine was sold but the customers were swilling from 1 ltr bottles of beer were just your everyday brand.(it was quite nice actually,can't say the same for the great wall wines)...
    Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I understand you can pick up Moa cider in chengdu, china
    Apparently the most consumed brand of beer in the world is the Chinese 'SNOW' brand, which I thought was 'MONS' for weeks until I realised I was reading it the wrong way up. It is not my favourite.

I find Harbin beers, especially their Ice beer, are the best of the widely available brands tried so far.

When in Chengdu look out for 'Zhang Fei' beer, take a trip to Langzhong if necessary, this is good stuff.

In Tibet you want to search out 'Barley beer', essentially this is a pretty weak 'home brewed' beer but a pleasant taste and the locals will be pleased that you are drinking it.

ChengYu wines are very drinkable.

I have never seen any Moa anywhere in China, but it is a big country.
    om mani peme hum

An interesting article on the subject : https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/18...s-missing-out/ Apparently, China Resources, the company behind 'Snow' are not interested in acquiring overseas brands... tough luck Moa..

My source, cough cough, mentioned moa cider was quite popular at a music venue called NU SPACE in Chengdu, perhaps it goes well with their spicy sichuan noodles.. who knows. I did notice a few Yeastie Boys beers while in Stanly HK recently, but that's quite an international place anyway.

Does anyone know if they are reporting tomorrow,there has been no SP movement prior,so either nobody cares or its ho-hum business as usual

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Dunno, but MoBev their wacky JV promo debuts on Friday.

“The market is telling us a couple of things. Firstly, we know consumers don’t necessarily buy just a beeror just a wine, they buy for an occasion, often across multiple categories." - Ross says it best when he says nothing at all.