sharetrader
Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Got more money to spend (on marketing?)

That’s good

Sales aren’t that high are they ...I thought they were a big company

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...704/280221.pdf
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Anyone thinking of investing in this company should understand how poorly beer travels. Moa's marvously latest idea is to buddy up in China. Sounds like HuGE potential for growth. (Think ATM.) But as much as Moa beer is just fine here ( nothing wrong with the product) by the time you ship across the equator to sit on some warf somewhere etc etc it becomes very ordinary.
    This might be a great idea for vodka or candles but NOT beer.
    Go and buy by an American beer here and see what I'm on about. USA , the home of craft beer is very second rate once it arrives here.
    This company will never succeed. The idea , at the time, of offering a premium craft beer to be an iconic brand in NZ was a good one. But that boat has long sailied and Moa has missed it.
    i hope I haven't been too positive.
    Last edited by Maverick; 08-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I think you succeeded.....

<Insert User Title>

Anyone thinking of investing in this company should understand how poorly beer travels. Moa's marvously latest idea is to buddy up in China. Sounds like HuGE potential for growth. (Think ATM.) But as much as Moa beer is just fine here ( nothing wrong with the product) by the time you ship across the equator to sit on some warf somewhere etc etc it becomes very ordinary.
    This might be a great idea for vodka or candles but NOT beer.
    Go and buy by an American beer here and see what I'm on about. USA , the home of craft beer is very second rate once it arrives here.
    This company will never succeed. The idea , at the time, of offering a premium craft beer to be an iconic brand in NZ was a good one. But that boat has long sailied and Moa has missed it.
    Then you'd wonder why the other NZ beer brands are exporting internationally and have been doing so for a few years now, go figure.

NZ is a small market for any product, especially beer, so producers have to look at overseas markets for sales/distribution partners. Moa is just following suit, delayed yes but better late than never.

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Then you'd wonder why the other NZ beer brands are exporting internationally and have been doing so for a few years now, go figure.

NZ is a small market for any product, especially beer, so producers have to look at overseas markets for sales/distribution partners. Moa is just following suit, delayed yes but better late than never.
    I agree NZ is a small market and yes , exporting is normally a good way forward. But that does not change the fact beer doesn't travel well. Ok , some do export their beers but are only fairly benign lagers. There's no fresh full flavour to lose. Moa's "crafty tasty" beers are not those, a completely different offering. Their Belgian beers will travel ok but why would Chinese buy belgian ales from NZ?

Just for the record, my grudge about this company is not because I`ve lost money, I never invested. I dislike this company because it gives the sharemarket a bad name by taking investors money on a one way trip. I know brewing and investing so I`m putting my neck out to warn off those that don`t.

To be positive, this company suits some people.....the directors and anyone who enjoyed the SNAKK ride and want to do that again.

I won't post on MOA again because I don't want to get into in a pointless bun fight with MOA supporters, but the point of these forums is to spread knowledge and ideas amongst the those interested.
    Last edited by Maverick; 08-06-2018 at 03:21 PM.

I agree NZ is a small market and yes , exporting is normally a good way forward. But that does not change the fact beer doesn't travel well. Ok , some do export their beers but are only fairly benign lagers. There's no fresh full flavour to lose. Moa's "crafty tasty" beers are not those, a completely different offering. Their Belgian beers will travel ok but why would Chinese buy belgian ales from NZ?

Just for the record, my grudge about this company is not because I`ve lost money, I never invested. I dislike this company because it gives the sharemarket a bad name by taking investors money on a one way trip. I know brewing and investing so I`m putting my neck out to warn off those that don`t.

To be positive, this company suits some people.....the directors and anyone who enjoyed the SNAKK ride and want to do that again.

I won't post on MOA again because I don't want to get into in a pointless bun fight with MOA supporters, but the point of these forums is to spread knowledge and ideas amongst the those interested.
    Sounds like any brewery who wants to maintain the integrity of their product needs to ensure they control their route to market. This could be through exporting beer in cans rather than bottles, and of course ensuring your product doesn’t sit on a shelf/wharf/backofatruckmate etc etc for too long..

Down in Wellington, you often get some pretty good international beers served in places like hashigo zake.. so it must be possible to achieve. What do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Sounds like any brewery who wants to maintain the integrity of their product needs to ensure they control their route to market. This could be through exporting beer in cans rather than bottles, and of course ensuring your product doesn’t sit on a shelf/wharf/backofatruckmate etc etc for too long..

Down in Wellington, you often get some pretty good international beers served in places like hashigo zake.. so it must be possible to achieve. What do you reckon?
    Beer is a fickle beast, Moa prides itself on bottle conditioned beers, initially with corks, except its first export order was shipped in a unrefrigerated container which sat on the dock in blistering heat and destroyed over half the order.

Shipping in cans is better (light proof, sealed), but with craft beer it doesn't last all that long before the taste degrades, so unless you are shipping in volume, and fast moving you don't want beer sitting on shelves long or exposed to significant temp changes.

The likes of Yestie Boys contract brew with Brew Dog in the UK for the local market to save on shipping and ensuring taste etc.

Coincidentally the IPA - India Pale Ale was steeply hopped to last shipping the beers to india back in the day

I guess my gripe with these guys isn't just the massive shareholder loss in value since IPO, but the continual capital raising.

If you make good beer, you shouldnt need to be constantly raising capital, this isnt necessarily a capital intensive business, its one of the easiest to enter, look at Tuatara, Panhead, Garage Project etc, all started from nothing, like Moa, but not constantly going cap in hand.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    I guess my gripe with these guys isn't just the massive shareholder loss in value since IPO, but the continual capital raising.

If you make good beer, you shouldnt need to be constantly raising capital, this isnt necessarily a capital intensive business, its one of the easiest to enter, look at Tuatara, Panhead, Garage Project etc, all started from nothing, like Moa, but not constantly going cap in hand.
    They probably expected to be taken out by one of the big boys by now. Still there mkt cap is $26m which is in the ballpark that was paid for Tuatara. So may need to perform before they garner any interest.

Cap $26m but sales are only just over $10m. Get the feeling that if could increase there sales by 50% they would probably be break even or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    They probably expected to be taken out by one of the big boys by now. Still there mkt cap is $26m which is in the ballpark that was paid for Tuatara. So may need to perform before they garner any interest.

Cap $26m but sales are only just over $10m. Get the feeling that if could increase there sales by 50% they would probably be break even or better.
    If thats the case then they would have been better off not listing in the first place.

Theres an element of mystery around brewery sales and how much market share they actually have, and how much they end up selling for.

I feel like the big boys don't want a public buy out and all the transparency that entails when they aren't buying something hugely successful. We still don't know exactly how much panhead and tuatara sold for, just rumours