sharetrader
Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Veteran novice

percy

Thanks for posting the link.A good article .

Too much weight was placed on the success of 42 Below. Truth is that if you got in at the beginning of that IPO, you made an IRR of 15% pa - hardly inspiring for a start up and where the promotors like Ross & Baker put in bugger all.

Ecoya and Moa show marketing and PR will only take you so far in the real business world.

I blame the NZ media and the young naive pimpled faced reporters falling for the old 'wine and dine' fascination with so called successful entrepreneurs.

Anyway, Ross and his gang have now got their work cut out trying to make Ecoya and Moa profitable. Until then, cannot see them taking any more of the public's capital to fund their 'ideas'.

Maybe next project is teaming up with Derek Handley?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Very good article in a period where press releases are passed off for journalism! They are gone - might be a slow death but contracting out brewing while holding your brand out as a craft beer is an oxymoron. Another company spending money raised for bricks and mortar on operating expenses....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    Very good article in a period where press releases are passed off for journalism! .
    The funny thing is this isn't journalising - it's an opinion piece by a business person. Journalists probably too scared to miss out on the next free sample as it's the only way they can afford 'the good stuff'.

They need to realise you can't do a 42 Below on craft.
    Great article.

Guru

Geoff Ross is doing another AMA. Send in your questions:

http://www.nbr.co.nz/ask-geoff-ross

Just had a skim through the annual report. Looks exactly as many had anticipated except perhaps for inventories. They seem to be accumulating materials and product at a rate much higher than one would reasonably have expected even give the higher sales volume and collapse in margin on their product. However give their situation and history you’d be very hesitant to read that positively. I can’t attest to the quality of this refreshment, my personal preference is for a sturdy drink.

Of course I’d love to be in on this industry but have a strong aversion to losing money. Still too early to judge if this can be turned around or when in my view.
    Last edited by Tomtom; 30-06-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    Just had a skim through the annual report. Looks exactly as many had anticipated except perhaps for inventories. They seem to be accumulating materials and product at a rate much higher than one would reasonably have expected even give the higher sales volume and collapse in margin on their product. However give their situation and history you’d be very hesitant to read that positively. I can’t attest to the quality of this refreshment, my personal preference is for a sturdy drink.

Of course I’d love to be in on this industry but have a strong aversion to losing money. Still too early to judge if this can be turned around or when in my view.
    Inventory is a liability, so generally that would not be considered a positive.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up One day I might actually get to drink a Moa beer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    Inventory is a liability, so generally that would not be considered a positive.
    Inventory is an asset - for MOA it is broken down into three parts (Note 14):

Raw materials: $611K - stuff that we can use to make beer;

Work In Progress: $387K - stuff that we are turning into beer now (at 31-Mar) [+ other direct inputs into production];

Finished goods: $935K - stuff that is beer.

There just have to find away of making a profit as a company.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 30-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    om mani peme hum