sharetrader
Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    So 5 million bottles of beer.

Revenue was $6m so Moa gets $1.20 a bottle (big margins elsewhere through the supply chain?)

Moa loses $5.5m so loss over a $1.10 a bottle (costs about $2.30 a bottle

Growth strategy

So suppose when they sell 20 million bottles a year might be a profit

Believe the story
    Complete shambles. I read the NZ Herald article on it which had this bizarre positive slant.. They've increased sales by 40%, moved to direct distribution quite some time ago (something they pinned all their troubles on) and are still losing $5 million a year.. And they have $3 million in bank and pretty much admitted they'll need to take on debt to get through the next year. craziness. Its ok though because they'll like, cut costs and stuff.

Margins somewhere else through the supply chain?? Yip, they get someone else to brew their beer! Comical, especially considering the whole point of the IPO (supposedly) was to raise money to increase the size of the brewery and generate economies of scale.

Oh well management will be doing well, as well as the founders and investment banks that managed to get the IPO off the ground, and its a good reminder that being in a 'cool' and 'popular' business is not equal to actually making money...sometimes boring is best.

Disc: none and never have, but happy that I can buy their beer pretty cheaply at the supermarkets now that they're selling them at a loss to make their sales look better
    Last edited by trackers; 28-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Anyone willing to ballpark the value of their brand? They record 548k intangibles on their balance sheet, but I would hazard a guess it would be worth more than that to the right buyer. Horrid business, but if the price dips much lower I might consider a punt as a short-term bet on a takeover by one of the big breweries/conglomerates.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmrm View Post
    Anyone willing to ballpark the value of their brand? They record 548k intangibles on their balance sheet, but I would hazard a guess it would be worth more than that to the right buyer. Horrid business, but if the price dips much lower I might consider a punt as a short-term bet on a takeover by one of the big breweries/conglomerates.
    All the big breweries have there own "craft " beers of sorts . So I can't see why they would add MOA IMO. Also if a big brewery did purchase them , it would certainly mean more production etc ....less "craft " sort of defeats the purpose..
    Very competitive market out there with plenty playing in the space , and plenty tastier than the MOA offering IMO.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    All the big breweries have there own "craft " beers of sorts . So I can't see why they would add MOA IMO. Also if a big brewery did purchase them , it would certainly mean more production etc ....less "craft " sort of defeats the purpose..
    Very competitive market out there with plenty playing in the space , and plenty tastier than the MOA offering IMO.
    its market value is still over $10m. The breweries could buy a proper craft beer company for far less than that if they want to ruin it by mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I dunno, they have phenomenal brand recognition (much to my personal chagrin), and, while far less successfully than Geoff Ross no doubt hoped, they have managed to carve out a small premium beer niche, not quite craft, not quite Heineken. Don't get me wrong, I still think its a dog, but another couple of -7% days and it could get interesting between the distribution, intellectual property, and maybe-some-day brewery assets.

Banned

Woof woof bark whimper snarl

Guru

MOA, imo a very bad name for a beer, dead as the Dodo !!

By way of comparison, Renaissance Brewing (of Snowball Effect crowd-funding) has a 42% gross margin & profit of $82,000 on $1,835,000 revenue: http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/renaiss...ts-cs-p-173620
    Sorry about the pay-wall! Their funding round last year valued them at $5.7mil.

Banned

Or valued at roughly Moa's annual loss.....

Banned

A former AC Milan footballer is helping Brazil become a major growth market for craft beer brewer Moa.
    Moa has traditionally focused on New Zealand, Australia, the United States and Asian markets but Brazil has become a star performer for New Zealand's only NZX-listed brewer.

From the PR puff piece in today's newspaper....cash issue coming soon methinks.