sharetrader
Page 45 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    "Listed New Zealand brewer Moa Group has no plans to seek a multinational buyer, says its chief executive Geoff Ross, after craft beer minnow Tuatara was snapped up by multinational Heineken.
    “Good for Tuatara if they want to get out while the business is still small. Moa is larger than Tuatara – according to AC Nielsen Grocery data – and we believe we have a lot more growth yet,” he says.
    “So no, we are not looking to get bought by Lion or DB. We are looking to get more growth – so eventually we can buy Lion or DB.”

I'm just going to leave these quotes right here whilst I go buy some popcorn and sit back
    Lol!

Here's some insight into the industry for onyone who missed it: https://comms.anz.co.nz/barometer-re...ame=Craft0Beer

lucky I got out
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

I really don't like Geoff Ross after meeting him once and if it would be possible I would have shorted TIL and MOA late last year.

Well, I don't drink much beer, but Moa do make a nice cider in my opinion, one of the better ones I think. Went to pick some up at my local New World and it was sold out, again. So they must be doing something right. And the last time I flicked through an update all the numbers were heading in the right direction.

But it will be interesting to see where they go from here. They've grown well over last couple years, but from a low base, and they might have to pull a new trick out of the bag to keep the momentum going. This is far from certain.

Still, I'm happy enough to cheer them on for now, long as they keep that cider flowing.

I have to disclose I am no beer connoisseur. If it is brown and has bubbles I'll be in. My last buy was based on $24.50 price point and the zombie guinea pig being killed on the packaging. So I found the Wakachangi to be an acceptable beer to quaff.

Today a $24.50 carton on sale with Red was calling to my scottish blood and politician leanings along with the axeman appealing to my inner lumberjack. So I've picked up a dozen Moa Classic. Its a filthy job, but in the interests of objective share research I intend testing the product this evening.

Edit. Realising the enormity of the task ahead thought I better make a start. Beer has been in the fridge for a couple of hours so is lightly chilled. Comes in a quality brown bottle reminiscent of my original Waikato Draught days - though only 330 mls. No screw top. Thats a disadvantage and a problem as I wasted time hunting down an opener and forgot a glass so this is straight out of the bottle. First swill get a hint of hops and a hint of malt but not much. Slight sweetness to it and just a bit of bitter. Nothing memorable lingering on the palate but a soft lingering after taste of not a great deal. Says on hte bottle it has floral aroma but not picking up any. Its a warm day, teh beer is cold, it tastes lagery so key features hit. I'll give it a pass. Obviously I'll have to try another to try and discern its premium features because they arent immediately apparent.

Edit 2. After a couple of bottles I realised I had made a grievious mistake. No control! Rooting around the back of the fridge I found a few more Wakachangi so figure that will do. This time I'l use a glass. Right on with it. Another brown bottle of beer also with no screw cap so very similar to the Moa. Given Wakachangi is nod to the Waikato river already some similarities at play. Given also it is great uncle Kennys recipe dating back to 1648 and the promise of it being "quite a nice beer" I poured. Its very clear, a light gold colour good bubbles and an initial half inch head. Not a lot happening on the nose - perhaps just a wee whiff of lager. On the tongue theres no malt and just a little hops - I'm guessing from the nelson region. Not a lot of after taste. Certainly quafable. Probably best food match is a sausage or two off the BBQ on a hot day. Im off to try matching it with another before the serious task of the Moa ahead of me.

Edit 3. In the interests of full disclosure I also happened across some Speights Distinction Ale while i was rooting around in the fridge. Given I cant drink next week I though id get rid of it to remove any temptation. So this is also in the $24 range since a couple of bucks is my price point for summer quaffing. Comes in a brown bottle ( a trend here) but this time screw top. As an ale it pours much darker, clear, no head no bubbles. Aroma comes with a hint of malt but you have to work to find it. Flavour just on the edge of sweet with a hint of bitter. Teeny bit of hop and a snip of mushroom but again working hard to find flavour. No aftertaste. This Ale is distinct from the others as it is the closet to water, brown at that so not much to recommend it. Cant figure out how these left overs ended up in the fridge. Should have been tossed. But since they are here......

edit 4. Gotta say teh Moa is getting better as the noight goes on.
    Last edited by minimoke; 04-02-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Monkey View Post
    Well, I don't drink much beer, but Moa do make a nice cider in my opinion, one of the better ones I think. Went to pick some up at my local New World and it was sold out, again. So they must be doing something right. And the last time I flicked through an update all the numbers were heading in the right direction.

But it will be interesting to see where they go from here. They've grown well over last couple years, but from a low base, and they might have to pull a new trick out of the bag to keep the momentum going. This is far from certain.

Still, I'm happy enough to cheer them on for now, long as they keep that cider flowing.
    From the NZ Herald:

"Food group Lewis Road Creamery is branching out with its latest product - Chocolate Cream Liqueur."
    "The 700ml bottles would be distributed by beer brand Moa, who's chief executive Geoff Ross helped with production."

A new trick straight out of the bag!

I've gotta get my hands on a bottle of this!

From the NZ Herald:

"Food group Lewis Road Creamery is branching out with its latest product - Chocolate Cream Liqueur."
    "The 700ml bottles would be distributed by beer brand Moa, who's chief executive Geoff Ross helped with production."

A new trick straight out of the bag!

I've gotta get my hands on a bottle of this!
    Oh deary me. Obviously will have to do more research. Might use Canterbury Cream at $14 a bottle as my control. Unless someone wants to donate a few bottles of bailies to the task at hand

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Oh deary me. Obviously will have to do more research. Might use Canterbury Cream at $14 a bottle as my control. Unless someone wants to donate a few bottles of bailies to the task at hand
    Well, this should be fun. Someone get this fellow some Bailies! May I also suggest some Kahlua Chili Chocolate as well.

Well, this should be fun. Someone get this fellow some Bailies! May I also suggest some Kahlua Chili Chocolate as well.
    Im begining to see where my home made cream went wrong. 35% abv - should have been closer to lewis road 17%

Puriri Pete

Moa has been very quiet this year. A market update promised for April did not materialise so it will be interesting to find out if sales growth again takes pride of place in the FY result announcement and whether acquisitions remain on the landscape.