sharetrader
Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

We all know what happened to the Moa

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I have to disclose I am no beer connoisseur. If it is brown and has bubbles I'll be in. My last buy was based on $24.50 price point and the zombie guinea pig being killed on the packaging. So I found the Wakachangi to be an acceptable beer to quaff.

Today a $24.50 carton on sale with Red was calling to my scottish blood and politician leanings along with the axeman appealing to my inner lumberjack. So I've picked up a dozen Moa Classic. Its a filthy job, but in the interests of objective share research I intend testing the product this evening.

Edit. Realising the enormity of the task ahead thought I better make a start. Beer has been in the fridge for a couple of hours so is lightly chilled. Comes in a quality brown bottle reminiscent of my original Waikato Draught days - though only 330 mls. No screw top. Thats a disadvantage and a problem as I wasted time hunting down an opener and forgot a glass so this is straight out of the bottle. First swill get a hint of hops and a hint of malt but not much. Slight sweetness to it and just a bit of bitter. Nothing memorable lingering on the palate but a soft lingering after taste of not a great deal. Says on hte bottle it has floral aroma but not picking up any. Its a warm day, teh beer is cold, it tastes lagery so key features hit. I'll give it a pass. Obviously I'll have to try another to try and discern its premium features because they arent immediately apparent.

Edit 2. After a couple of bottles I realised I had made a grievious mistake. No control! Rooting around the back of the fridge I found a few more Wakachangi so figure that will do. This time I'l use a glass. Right on with it. Another brown bottle of beer also with no screw cap so very similar to the Moa. Given Wakachangi is nod to the Waikato river already some similarities at play. Given also it is great uncle Kennys recipe dating back to 1648 and the promise of it being "quite a nice beer" I poured. Its very clear, a light gold colour good bubbles and an initial half inch head. Not a lot happening on the nose - perhaps just a wee whiff of lager. On the tongue theres no malt and just a little hops - I'm guessing from the nelson region. Not a lot of after taste. Certainly quafable. Probably best food match is a sausage or two off the BBQ on a hot day. Im off to try matching it with another before the serious task of the Moa ahead of me.

Edit 3. In the interests of full disclosure I also happened across some Speights Distinction Ale while i was rooting around in the fridge. Given I cant drink next week I though id get rid of it to remove any temptation. So this is also in the $24 range since a couple of bucks is my price point for summer quaffing. Comes in a brown bottle ( a trend here) but this time screw top. As an ale it pours much darker, clear, no head no bubbles. Aroma comes with a hint of malt but you have to work to find it. Flavour just on the edge of sweet with a hint of bitter. Teeny bit of hop and a snip of mushroom but again working hard to find flavour. No aftertaste. This Ale is distinct from the others as it is the closet to water, brown at that so not much to recommend it. Cant figure out how these left overs ended up in the fridge. Should have been tossed. But since they are here......

edit 4. Gotta say teh Moa is getting better as the noight goes on.
    Airports giving me a chance to do a bit more research. Enjoyed an emersons 1812 last week. Now Sitting down with a three boys ipa.

Yum!

Airports giving me a chance to do a bit more research. Enjoyed an emersons 1812 last week. Now Sitting down with a three boys ipa.

Yum!
    Interesting scientific fact. The more you drink the better it tastes. Now onto a Boundary Road American Double IPA. Supermarket had loads of crafts on offer (just Moa 5 hop - that was all) so I've worked my way through a few. Dirty job. But someone has to do it.

Note that the beervana app is out, interesting to see where Moa gets to on the leaderboards, and how long the queues are. Must admit to being partial to the chilli lager (horsebox) just that hint of chilli in the finish, and for breakfast, can't go past Yoghurt and Bruesli from Fork Brewing, breakfast of champions.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

They're doing a mighty job with the Garage Project distribution at the local P'n'S. Their garish tins dominate the craft section. No single bottle Moa in that area though. Their only 'presence' is 6 packs of lager and pale ale - both housed in the mainstream beer chiller. On inquiring to the liquor section lad he said, no one ever buys them.

As to Sheena Henderson her bio highlights her background in 'branding, marketing and corporate advisory.' Kinda like Ross...

Banned

Interesting scientific fact. The more you drink the better it tastes. Now onto a Boundary Road American Double IPA. Supermarket had loads of crafts on offer (just Moa 5 hop - that was all) so I've worked my way through a few. Dirty job. But someone has to do it.
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for a beer at the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyj View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for a beer at the airport?
    Emersons was $14 for a 500ml bottle

Banned

Its amazing the premium prices you pay at the airport, holiday mentality makes prices irrelevant.
    But considering that was a 500ml bottle of good beer its not too bad.
    I was shocked to have paid $13 for a 330ml bottle of stella at Baretta last month. That was a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyj View Post
    Its amazing the premium prices you pay at the airport, holiday mentality makes prices irrelevant.
    But considering that was a 500ml bottle of good beer its not too bad.
    Its not the holiday mentality, its the monopoly provider in a contained environment.

They tend to frown on you a bit if you pull your own beer from a bag. But heres a tip - they dont mind if its a bottle of orange juice - whose to say how much gin is in it!

Guru

Emersons was $14 for a 500ml bottle
    Obviously not in Qtown MM........$22 for an Emersons!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...xpensive-in-NZ