sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Flogging.....dead.....horse....... If I owned a business that was reliant on someone else dictating the conditions of business I would change the business in some way/shape or fashion that repositioned it in a better space. Just boxing on without any movement forward is a waste of time (in my opinion). However, I do appreciate its easier said than done and I have the advantage of being a small, agile company. The bigger the size the more difficult it is to change direction. Does not mean it cannot be done however. Most business owners suffer from the problems associated with working in a business as opposed to working ON a business. What started out as a good idea and a good product with good sales can gradually change into a non-productive marginal waste of space. Sometimes it becomes clearer when a fresh pair of eyes is looking at the problem. I cannot speak about any other business than my own with any certainty but I do know what it started out as is hugely different than what is now... and that change was driven by HAVING to do something different or getting trampled by my competitors. I do symphasize with someone where exporting is necessary part of the business. If you are in that position I have had good results , feedback and advice from my accountant..if yours hasnt helped you I would look for another.
    I haven't said we are doing badly, why assume that is the case? This was a discussion on exchange rates.
    You have fallen into the default position that too many media commentators take as well...just because we raised the issue of the $NZ being too high, does not mean we are doing nothing as a business to improve and make our position stronger.
    Flogging a dead horse seems a bit presumptuous as you know nothing about what we do. A few simple facts...
    We are selling into various country markets - to think that NZ can produce something that no-one else in the world could think of doing is extreme.
    We do not sell a commodity, but we have competitors that offer other uses of the customer's money - we are competing for that money.
    We sell abroad as, like many NZ manufacturers, there is not a sufficient domestic market in NZ to grow, plus importers here use price as the main selling point ("buy from China it's cheaper" always quoted). This is quite a unique problem to NZ in that companies need to export much earlier in their life/growth plans. A company in the USA can hit $30m+ before needing to export, not here.
    I appreciate your words are trying to help, but please believe me when I say that I, and managers within the company, have been very well educated and understand basic marketing and strategic principles. Why assume exporters cannot improvise and change? We network with many other exporters to learn from each other - no need to ask an accountant for advice,they are experts in accounting not our company.

Happy you are doing well. I dont know how it morphed into business as opposed to exchange rates...doesnt matter. Dont agree with you about accountant however...a good one is worth their weight in gold. However enough and on to making some money
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    I haven't said we are doing badly, why assume that is the case? This was a discussion on exchange rates.
    You have fallen into the default position that too many media commentators take as well...just because we raised the issue of the $NZ being too high, does not mean we are doing nothing as a business to improve and make our position stronger.
    Flogging a dead horse seems a bit presumptuous as you know nothing about what we do. A few simple facts...
    We are selling into various country markets - to think that NZ can produce something that no-one else in the world could think of doing is extreme.
    We do not sell a commodity, but we have competitors that offer other uses of the customer's money - we are competing for that money.
    We sell abroad as, like many NZ manufacturers, there is not a sufficient domestic market in NZ to grow, plus importers here use price as the main selling point ("buy from China it's cheaper" always quoted). This is quite a unique problem to NZ in that companies need to export much earlier in their life/growth plans. A company in the USA can hit $30m+ before needing to export, not here.
    I appreciate your words are trying to help, but please believe me when I say that I, and managers within the company, have been very well educated and understand basic marketing and strategic principles. Why assume exporters cannot improvise and change? We network with many other exporters to learn from each other - no need to ask an accountant for advice,they are experts in accounting not our company.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Happy you are doing well. I dont know how it morphed into business as opposed to exchange rates...doesnt matter. Dont agree with you about accountant however...a good one is worth their weight in gold. However enough and on to making some money
    Interesting discussion though.