sharetrader
Page 492 of 933 FirstFirst ... 392442482488489490491492493494495496502542592 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 9326

I agree the virus is a game changer and NTL will be a beneficiary. Rather have these shares than AIR and a number of other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Are you advocating a return to the gold standard? Now that would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.
    Just for fun, on a wet, isolated afternoon, I did some calculations on the old gold standard. When Richard Nixon abandoned tying the price of gold to the US$ (or is that the other way round?) in 1971, the gold price was set at US$35 an ounce.
    I found a US inflation calculator that said $35 would now be worth $226.37
    So no, Steve, I don't think I'm advocating a return to that system.

But you'd think the value of gold should go up if countries are printing money.

I read there is a physical shortage of gold just now too - many mines are not working, many dealers are working short hours, and even planes to fly it round the world are in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    Just for fun, on a wet, isolated afternoon, I did some calculations on the old gold standard. When Richard Nixon abandoned tying the price of gold to the US$ (or is that the other way round?) in 1971, the gold price was set at US$35 an ounce.
    I found a US inflation calculator that said $35 would now be worth $226.37
    So no, Steve, I don't think I'm advocating a return to that system.

But you'd think the value of gold should go up if countries are printing money.

I read there is a physical shortage of gold just now too - many mines are not working, many dealers are working short hours, and even planes to fly it round the world are in short supply.
    I believe for the old gold standard that the total value of money circulating in a country’s economy must be backed by gold in the central banks vault. That would mean a considerable revaluation of gold.

When it come to Gold, Governments, Wars, Monetary policy, predictions of ups and downs James Rickards seems to be the man a lot turn to. He has been calling what’s happening now for the last couple of years and believes there is a high possibility that money will have some form of tie back to gold in the near future. In one scenario that’s back by a lot, the POG will be at $5000 USD very soon in another that ties gold completely to amount of money I think in the world values it @ 10,000USD plus. That from memory was a simple calculation of total money divided by total gold.

A lot of the doomsday people are coming out, even on CNN, promoting the value of gold, and it was quite simply a major market fail to see the value of Gold did so much in early march, and it is not back on the early stages of what will be a massive rise.

But the doomsday brigade say that you actually need to hold the gold, not a piece of paper saying you own gold, as often you don't physically hold the gold, when they say you own gold, I agree with them on that, and I think the germans have taken their physical gold back, but I stand to be corrected on that.

At least NTL are holding on to their gold, and strategically not taking it out of the ground these last 10 years, as they would have sold it at a fraction of what it will be worth next year.
    Obviously Matt is way smarter than all of us, and actually worth a 4 Million salary not a 400k one.

Happy days everyone, we are literally sitting on a gold mine.

Wow. And here was me naively thinking that the falling NTL share price was because of the lack of progress, missed milestones and failure to update its shareholders...
    Last edited by youngatheart; 29-03-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemanarc View Post
    At least NTL are holding on to their gold, and strategically not taking it out of the ground these last 10 years, as they would have sold it at a fraction of what it will be worth next year.
    Obviously Matt is way smarter than all of us, and actually worth a 4 Million salary not a 400k one.

It's only Real gold after its been dug up. At the moment it's only theoretical... And at this pace you could be waiting 10 years and the gold price could be crap again. Its been over 2 years already since any real action!... C'mon!

Oh Blue, you naughty boy! You do like to stir up the negative people here, don't you?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
    It's only Real gold after its been dug up. At the moment it's only theoretical... And at this pace you could be waiting 10 years and the gold price could be crap again. Its been over 2 years already since any real action!... C'mon!
    Its been over 20 years!

A lot of the doomsday people are coming out, even on CNN, promoting the value of gold, and it was quite simply a major market fail to see the value of Gold did so much in early march, and it is not back on the early stages of what will be a massive rise.

But the doomsday brigade say that you actually need to hold the gold, not a piece of paper saying you own gold, as often you don't physically hold the gold, when they say you own gold, I agree with them on that, and I think the germans have taken their physical gold back, but I stand to be corrected on that.

From what I've read a lot of country's governments have taken there physical Gold back. also for the last couple of years governments and central banks have been buying record amounts of gold so maybe they know what's coming...…
    NTL are well aware of the pressure they are under and know that they need to get this sorted soon as share holders are losing patience.
    We wound all like weekly updates but that is completely pie in the sky stuff as every announcement on the NZX and ASX costs money to produce.
    IMHO I want action and updates but wise use of money is key as in the current climate I highly doubt a credit raising adventure would go down well!!
    I hope to talk with management again soon.