sharetrader
Page 104 of 936 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 9358
    Banned

Green Party members suffer from a lack of foresight and thinking beyond the immediate term just like every other politician on this planet. Probably believed their own pripaganda as well. They are now on the backfoot and are scrambling. I expect a certain Mr Bridges will helpfully extend a foot to shove them back down the mountain.

Catherine Delahuntin'for'a'thunkin

AWOL

Sorry, we are not remembering our manners here.
    Welcome to sharetrader and thank you for your in depth posting

Guru

You sound a tad desperate GoodasGold. Election not go the way you wanted?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Unlike goldmining, tourism is a sunrise industry, not a sunset one, and generates a huge amount of jobs for local people who have lived here for generations.
    In the South towns like Arrowtown, Glenorcy, Queenstown, Cromwell, Alex, Clyde, etc, would probably not exist without a gold mining heritage, it allowed for in land settlement at a time when none really existed, and many local folk today still earn very good tourism livings from what is now left.

The locals retain a great deal of pride in that history and culture, the difference in the North Island is that you choose to not do so, you allow minority hippie thinking to determine outcomes, and that is the only real problem in this case also.

The private members bill will fail and those behind it very probably anticipate and plan for that occurrence from the get go, as it is most probably intended as a politically correct means of putting the matter to bed.

It should not be required, the hippies have already had their say at resource consent time, and it just serves to waste yet more taxpayer’s money though pandering.

I support the intention of the resource consent process, 25 years on now though increasingly it provides too much reinforcement for the minority and fringe views of self-interested nimby’s and hippies, and now every little matter that comes along is subject to behaviours which have been reinforced and even promoted by the process itself.

It is time for a change, let’s see if Nick Smith as the new environment minister has the balls to make it happen.

AWOL

Relying on gold to continue operating seems a strange thing for a mining company to do, still, I suppose anything is possible.

Guru

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I've simply pointed out my perspectives on a company I have had a great deal of personal dealings with, and have witnessed in action. When they were Heritage Gold they strung along investors for years, and "kept the faith" by overstating what they were finding. As New Talisman Gold, they are financially wobbly, have over-reached, and are a high-court injunction from bankruptcy.

Do with that information what you wish.

And if you're dumb enough to invest in a "smoke and mirrors" company like NTG, you deserve what you get (or don't get).
    If you are not here to argue with anyone you would be well advised not to insult other investors

Banned

I don't normally post the letters I write but have referenced this one as an open letter, so I'm comfortable on that basis. I'd encourage others to do the same at this time whilst there is the potential for change in the wind.

I recently wrote to Amy Adams in regard to EPA process and received a response from the Chief Executive of the EPA. They do it seems actually at least read what folk write to them, the more the support the better IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nick,

Congratulations on your new appointment, I hope you may settle into your new role quickly and may find an opportunity for change without hindrance.

I write you this open letter from a ‘mum and dad’ investor’s perspective.

I have both been involved in the application of resource consents and have made submissions on resource consents frequently over a twenty year timeframe. The resource management act has served new Zealand less than adequately, it has rightfully provided all people with an opportunity to have a say within the democracy in which we live, but it remains a flawed process in terms of facilitating economic growth and provides extreme levels of regulatory risk to business and to those with enough creativity and energy to create jobs.

Over recent years we have seen companies such as New Talisman and Chatham Rock Phosphate which prospectively may offer good regional and national economic benefit tortured by mining permit and resource consent processes to the point whereby they may become significantly less economic or possibly even bankrupt.

The duration and uncertainty of permit and consent processes in New Zealand, often enduring for years in some cases, provides extreme levels of risk for entrepreneurial companies and significantly hinders their ability to seek finance. In addition, these processes really do send a signal to business and investors that New Zealand is closed for development and steers both foreign and local sector capital abroad.

I have personally worked for a company that made a clear and cognisant decision not to invest further in New Zealand after their first resource consent for a $150M facility took over two years to obtain. Not only was the venture rendered less economic by the process itself, it incurred two years of lost production revenues and two years of additional cost of capital. This was two years more than they may experience in other countries where they may choose to alternatively invest.

It does often seem that the quiet majority view of New Zealanders whom benefit from economic diversity and growth are very often ignored by these processes allowing proceedings to become unduly protracted and manipulated by the perspectives of very well funded professional protest groups, NIMBY’s and vocal minority groups .

With a clear mandate for change, many like myself support your efforts in correcting this deficiency.

yours faithfully,
    Mac

AWOL

Haha, good point :-) Sorry, just don't have a lot of respect for NTG, they've always seemed a bit of a sham to me, and mislead investors. And when they finally get their RC to mine, there's still a fair bit of sham involved, but to more parties. They've been incredibly tenacious to keep going as long as they have, but I just don't see how they can possibly pull off their plans on Karangahake Mountain. Even the HDC Mayor is starting to talk about getting the Mountain included on Schedule Four.
    There is quite a bit more to NTL overall than just Karangahake but I guess you know that already. Why dont you look at it from the positive side, if you worked closely with them there may be opportunities for tourists to see a working gold mine in operation. Tourists could help transport the ore in bicycle pannier bags to Waihi for a small fee or tie a trailer on behind the bus. Even reinstall the rail lines and run golf carts like they do in Taranaki Just add a trailer.
    Think of all the extra meals needed at the cafes for hungry miners and Im sure the Waikino Pub will do a roaring trade.
    Of course anyone has the right to operate a tourism business and good luck to all. However it is not the only business on the planet and it might be wise to exhibit the same consideration expected of others.
    Geologists, miners, drillers, bobcat operators ( that reminds me - isnt Bobcat coming back?) and truck drivers also have families to feed and are free in a democratic society to pursue whatever legal job opportunities that exist.

Banned

Very funny how in little ol' laid back NZ the first movers just CANNOT stand competition or other operators. We have seen this through the greens on the West Coast opposing BRL, fishing industry opposing CRP, pretty much everyone opposing TTR and now tourism operators fighting NTL. Even a high profile crook (Kim Dotcom) got to oppose the government! I'm all for free speech and arguing your point, but it's got to the point where it's now laughable with some of this 'opposition'. Sure you should complain about a single access road and demand it be bettered if it's an only access point, but don't try to sabotage an entire startup company because of it and other issues which can be worked through. There is a sense of constant naysaying pervading NZ and a lot of us are sick of it. Where did the NZ go where we worked together with No8 wire to het things done with our neighbor for the betterment of both? I like to think of this country as a progressive country where things get done and everyone knows everyone else and wants to help them and has RESPONSIBILITY, not a country where everyone complains and sits on their arses and demands handouts because they think it's their right...

Legend

I think GoodasGold might be making some very valid points. If I learnt anything from my previous very poor investment in Glass Earth Gold (AXG), it was that the careful spin put on company press releases from this type of company, while not illegal, missed out some other salient facts quite often. Or facts that legally had to be divulged were hidden deep inside documents. You name it, they tried it. In the end, some local knowledge that I obtained, confirmed that my investment was likely going to be toast, at least for the foreseeable future.

It's up to shareholders now, to keep NTG honest. Sure, the company needs investor funds to get properly started, and they have plans afoot. I don't think they are set in concrete until the funds arrive. In the meantime, the company should be making sure that access to the walking tracks continues unimpeded. Why not even help to upgrade them, surely that would go down well. Similarly, they need to work out ways to share the access road. A few sets of lights controlled by beams, between the passing areas, should do the trick. Not expensive, and done on plenty of private access roads already. Where possible, the mining movements should be done at night, or when other traffic is unlikely.

Discl, I am not investing in shares at the moment.