sharetrader
Page 30 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    This is something that has been weighing on my mind heavily for the last 12 months. It seems that I want to be in cash to take advantage of another crash in whatever (or everything) but, at the same time, I don't like the loss in purchasing power caused by that fat son of a fraudster.

Other suggestions put forward are precious metals and commodity stocks, but these seem to have inflation priced in already, and I think I might have missed that boat. Also, without exposing myself to Cullen's envy tax, there are not a lot of options for both if I want to keep the money in NZ and not get stung with FIF.

Thoughts?
    Nobody can time the market so you should stay fully invested all the time and only keep what you need for an emergency as cash on the sidelines. If you must, use margin lending during the crashes to maximize the rebound.

However in saying that I read Warren Buffett has the most cash on the sidelines ever right now hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Nobody can time the market so you should stay fully invested all the time and only keep what you need for an emergency as cash on the sidelines. If you must, use margin lending during the crashes to maximize the rebound.

However in saying that I read Warren Buffett has the most cash on the sidelines ever right now hmmmm
    Hmmmm indeed....some dog has too.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

GMT out today with DIV and Market results... ARG might be a BUY here also at these prices.

Last edited by Waltzing; 15-11-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post

yeah that is how I typically operate, but have moved to heavy weight in cash outside of the market so I can move quickly if I see opportunity.

Very liquid REITs are one thing I have tried so that I can avoid the inflation monster

What are your thoughts on other options should I explore?

Personally, I've hated cash laying around ever since Key sold us out to the bankers with the OBR. But as this is the means of exchange, and the only way I can see to trade shares, well, means must. At least with assets you can swap without the gummint knowing about it.

Guru

GMT comments on market results..

"Supported by a rapidly growing digital economy and other structural changes,
    demand for distribution space close to consumers is exceeding supply in many
    locations across the city."

Rent increases as MR B suggested.

"
    The increased demand is also contributing to
    significant growth in rental income, with 5.1% average annual growth on a
    like-for-like basis."

ARG will also benefit from this and well constructed safe office space in the future that has health safety as a primary factor.

Last edited by Waltzing; 15-11-2021 at 10:31 AM.

This is something that has been weighing on my mind heavily for the last 12 months. It seems that I want to be in cash to take advantage of another crash in whatever (or everything) but, at the same time, I don't like the loss in purchasing power caused by that fat son of a fraudster.

Other suggestions put forward are precious metals and commodity stocks, but these seem to have inflation priced in already, and I think I might have missed that boat. Also, without exposing myself to Cullen's envy tax, there are not a lot of options for both if I want to keep the money in NZ and not get stung with FIF.

Thoughts?
    PIE's are great for avoiding both forms of envy tax.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    PIE's are great for avoiding both forms of envy tax.
    Indeed - especially with top envy rate now at 39%

Banned

wow, the 6 month chart doesn't look healthy at all.

What's going on with these guys? Falling out of favour?

wow, the 6 month chart doesn't look healthy at all.

What's going on with these guys? Falling out of favour?
    Interest rates up means property prices will come down. Markets are forward looking
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interest rates up means property prices will come down. Markets are forward looking

I'm not sure it is that simple...

Asset plus - fairly flat
    Goodmans - middling but flattening out
    Investore - slow decline
    Precinct - looks like Argosy
    Property for industry - distinct decline
    Stride - just as bad as Argosy

I realise they have different property class exposure

It also seems odd that folks would pull out of property given the inflation fears. I mean, if you are looking at bonds for "risk free" return, then you are definitely going to lose these days.