sharetrader
Page 14 of 197 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Could well be an IPO where those who 'love the product so much, buy the company'.
    I like the product but not tempted to buy a stake at the mo. They do have first mover advantage, have the logistics in place and have a lot more locations to add for delivery. Not big ticket urban areas though.

The Trademe IPO set aside an allotment for members which was a good look.

IPO back on the menu for My Food Bag

Private equity Waterman know how to make a buck or two ...timing could be right (for them)

articles says $25m earnings

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122...listing-on-nzx
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

i opened this page and started reading the first message thinking "yeah, i agree with this!" and then realised it was my own post from 2018 LOL

I still think that investment growth with their current model would be challenging as surely they've tapped out the majority of new clients, plus there's competition from other companies splintering the available customer base.

we use "hello fresh". my wife says they have more menu choices available than MFB. which surprised me, I'd have thought being the earlier-mover, MFB would have tried to make it harder for competitors by having more choices. We love hellofresh ... been with them a few months ... can see us as staying regular customers. My wife also thinks hellofresh might be a little cheaper.

I really don't get what competitive advantage MFB would have. I don't think it would be that hard to replicate the offer and business ... a bunch of menus, buy ingredients in bulk, place ingredients into a box, ring the courier ... spend the cash. Yes, having large existing customer base is a plus, but a lot of people like to experiment with food, and all it would take would be a bad experience or two, to try something new. Plus, I don't think there are a lot of fixed costs, or scale benefits from being larger. So what is MFB's competitive edge?

with the uplift in sales they have had from COVID, and as more competitors may enter or strengthen, I can see why Waterman think this is a good time to get out ...
    Last edited by jg8512; 06-10-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: fix typos

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jg8512 View Post
    we use "hello fresh". my wife says they have more menu choices available than MFB. which surprised me, I'd have thought being the earlier-mover, MFB would have tried to make it harder for competitors by having more choices. ...
    Good we have meal kit company choices, but as for menu choices I doubt there is much difference between Hello Fresh and My Food Bag. Check out My Choice for example (10 dinners to choose from each week) plus their MADE range of ready to heat (or freeze or give to family) can be added.

MFB has made quite a few changes this year, responding quickly and nimbly to events, which bodes OK for an IPO.

Guru

From what I once got told - MFB was the equivalent in sales as a mid-size New World. Although when supermarket owners appear on the rich list, then there may be something in it.....

In terms of competition, they don't really have a moat I can see, unless it is Nadia. Given the number of Countdown trucks on the road, their commencement of dark stores etc - they could easily offer something similar (if not already) - plus deliver all those little extras you need, like the missus' wine......

Advanced Member

It was reported last year that MFB is the third largest food retailer in New Zealand. The first two are the supermarket chains. I think they used to deliver wine as well but no longer. They have added Allpress to their range.

Had a couple of WOOP boxes during lockdown ...they were pretty good
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by jg8512 View Post
    we use "hello fresh". my wife says they have more menu choices available than MFB. which surprised me, I'd have thought being the earlier-mover, MFB would have tried to make it harder for competitors by having more choices. We love hellofresh ... been with them a few months ... can see us as staying regular customers. My wife also thinks hellofresh might be a little cheaper.

I really don't get what competitive advantage MFB would have. I don't think it would be that hard to replicate the offer and business ... a bunch of menus, buy ingredients in bulk, place ingredients into a box, ring the courier ... spend the cash. Yes, having large existing customer base is a plus, but a lot of people like to experiment with food, and all it would take would be a bad experience or two, to try something new. Plus, I don't think there are a lot of fixed costs, or scale benefits from being larger. So what is MFB's competitive edge?

with the uplift in sales they have had from COVID, and as more competitors may enter or strengthen, I can see why Waterman think this is a good time to get out ...
    Hellofresh is German, and I think the largest in the US (Blue Apron really got squeezed) so they have a wide range of recipes (literally thousands) that they can draw of, and specialty stuff like spices for NZ are shared with Aus from a supply perspective.

I'm surprised by how well MFB has done to maintain their market share, but always wonder how sustainable the business model is. NZ is really only big enough for two or three such businesses to operate in that space. Credit to them so far.

My Food Bag always makes me think of a horse's nosebag. Not an appealing association for me.