sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nzer starting off with FOREX

Hi guys I'm wondering who is a trustworthy broker to start forex trading with. It appears CMC markets is the biggest in NZ? But they seem to have some pretty dodgy stories.
    I would like to sign up with someone who offers a demo account too.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Hi guys I'm wondering who is a trustworthy broker to start forex trading with. It appears CMC markets is the biggest in NZ? But they seem to have some pretty dodgy stories.
    I would like to sign up with someone who offers a demo account too.

Thanks guys
    Have a look at OANDA, they are one of the largest. I have been with them for about 10 years and have found them to be pretty good. I dont think you can set your primary funding currency as NZD though if thats an issue.

Unfortunately the Forex thread on here is all but dead.

agree with Pumice, while it is easier to set up an a/c with CMC as there are no o'seas transfers involved , the Oanda trading platform is superior in all respects and offers much more flexibility in trade sizing as well.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Cool thank you very much for your replies!
    So if I start using Oanda, I will have to convert my investment into USD first? Sounds alright.
    Do you guys reckon $3000 is too little to start with? I am a student...

Anyone? Or am I dreaming

i dont know how much you know about fx.

start with much less than $3000.
    you should start with a demo to get started with the basics.
    just about all brokers have a demo. you will need to get a feel for how the platform works etc. you will also need to scan for setups in what ever strategy that you are using.
    i dont know anything about oanda but people seem to like it and trust it which is important.
    fx is as much about risk management as about making winning trades.
    you have to get very good at your chosen strategy to get the win/loss ratio that will let you win overall.

once you have gotten used to the demo, open a small live account, $500 or $1000 and never risk more than 1% of your account on any one trade. that is the distance from your entry point to your stop loss. there are tools and explanations as to how to do this on the internet.

maybe less than $500 in your account. once you get good and you get consistent then add more to the account then

should you choose to go with oanda and you need to convert to us dollars, our exchange rate isnt too bad.
    there are heaps of brokers around though.

there is alot to this and it is not easy. i am a bit of a starter also and am looking for a broker also.
    there are brokers that will let you do it in nz dollars.
    Last edited by jennym; 02-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Hey Jenny thanks for the reply.

I will take your advice and start off with around $500 when I do go live. But it won't be for quite a while as I am still reading up on things and learning the ropes first.
    If you could let me know what broker you eventually decide to go with, that'd be great

there are alot of brokers around, some better than others. there are some good ones. i dont know who is best, i dont think anyone does.

at the moment i am thinking pepperstone based in australia. i know of one professional trader who uses them and think they are ok. you can hold your account in nzd if you want.
    they only have forex pairs, gold and silver but it will do for me for now.
    i have a demo at the moment and their spreads are quite low. they have good history, back to 1991. this is important because you can look on daily, weekly, monthly for major long term support and resistance lines.

i should look at oanda also, people seem think they are good.

i am a bit of a beginner also. there are other people on this forum who know way more than me about trading forex.

i had a quick look at the oanda website and they look good. they have a good range of instruments to trade.
    if, say you are looking to trade a nice strong trend and you find that the fx pairs are not providing one then you might find one on some of their cfds. it doesnt matter what you trade, all you need is something that suits your strategy.

maybe oanda is the way to go, particularly if we get people much better than me on here saying that they have been with them for years and find them to be trustworthy and good.
    Last edited by jennym; 18-04-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Advanced Member

Interested in FOREX ??..

Just buy the system advertised Ad Infinitum.. On the radio.. Then sit back and book your holidays.. Pass the Tui. !!..