sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You seem to be under the impression that the more you write, the more valid it becomes. A good arguement/debate should not be measured in words expended but in attempting to compress ideas and concepts into the most compact readily understood format. Your attempt to prove that property is abstract fails because your logic tree is trying to draw a direct line where none exists. i.e. Property to land to legal title to agreement..are all real not abstract. An agreement is enforceable by law and only your definition would call it abstract. BY "calling" it abstract you then allow yourself to go back up your tree so you can call property "abstract". As they say...No way Jose...El casa del Energia no tiene sufficiente gasolina para este exposicion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa del Energia View Post
    Apart from my grammar errors – I thought it was reasonably crystalline. Nevertheless – here’s a clarification:

Firstly definitions..

“Property” - A piece of real estate, Something tangible or intangible to which its owner has legal title.
    ‘Land’ - The part of the earth's surface that is not covered by water.

And then a climb up the logic tree...

Land can be defined by measuring it directly – e.g. surface area, altitude, soil composition.
    Property (in this case) is land to which someone has ownership rights. The attributes of ‘Land’ are tangible and can be measured with instruments (e.g a tape measure). The attributes of ‘property’ includes LEGAL TITLE – which is an agreement between two parties.
    An agreement is an abstract concept – a legal tile is therefore abstract, and since legal title is an attribute of ‘property’ – it then becomes abstract itself.

Now for the rave from the pulpit..

AND so.. this is the point to my argument countering that Property is ‘safe’ because you have title to it and therefore can’t be taken away (easily, but then talk to NA Indians and see how that doesn’t really work). There is a MISCONCEPTION out there that because ‘Property’ = ‘Land’ and is as ‘safe as houses’ and is somehow completely immune to anything others can do. This is just plain illogical and woolly thinking.

Let's go one step further ..

In the final wash up and when you boil it all down – there is no difference between cash (bank deposits, pound notes, Dong, ding ding, duro effectivo, lucre etc. and so on, etc. etc.) and property (!). Money is TRUELY and irrefutably abstract is it not ? (If it isn’t then try explaining how it is created – or even better get a banker to explain how it’s created (and I bet you they don’t know)). So at a fundamental level – there is no difference in ‘safety’ between ‘Property’ and Cash as an asset class. Both are agreements between people – both are abstract.

Still not convinced?..

Go to Google maps, get the sat image of your house up on the screen. Who owns it? What is the mortgage?, how much are the rates? Is that driveway cross leased? Can’t tell? Well, that is because satellites only photograph the tangible and cannot record an ABTRACT CONCEPT.
    And that is where the whole argument turns – the next time that satellite passes over, if the owner been biffed out by way of a mortgagee sale (or people’s revolution – please pick your favourite way of being dispossessed) – the satellite image will not change because the LAND will be the same ( but the PROPERTY will be in different hands).
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 17-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    I prefer diamonds.
    Less fungible by miles, but far more transportable.
    There is a catch though... with diamonds, you need to know your stuff.
    As too why i like bullion esp. ....for a metal to be bullion it must be made by a registered refiner/mint & pure 999%

Not a fan of diamonds as a investment at all,,,, but whatever floats your boat
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

Property is always sold as the size with the words more or less added, simply because farm size properties cant be accurately measured. Ex being, a large size flat property with a hill in the middle is bigger than a similar property without a hill. The people buying property before GST have got a 15% bonus. We now have the most ridiculous building standards and rules in place that including GST, has raised the cost of building a house up at least 25% higher than the early seventies. Why did it all go wrong?. The simple answer is the people making the rules know nothing about the subject. It used to amuse me to see before leaky homes become the big thing, the house of the year awards going to what I considered very suspect homes. No leaky homes before the early seventies before building codes were changed for the worst. The govt in its wisdom dare not steal your property the way it steals money from your bank interest, or nationalise your company in the so called interest of the community. Property might not be as safe as before, but it still beats your other investments in the expected financial turmoil in the future. Macdunk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    As too why i like bullion esp. ....for a metal to be bullion it must be made by a registered refiner/mint & pure 999%

Not a fan of diamonds as a investment at all,,,, but whatever floats your boat
    Auckland property beats bullion, easily, and will continue to do so. And you get rent!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...ng-heat-tipped
    Last edited by Skol; 13-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    You seem to be under the impression that the more you write, the more valid it becomes. A good arguement/debate should not be measured in words expended but in attempting to compress ideas and concepts into the most compact readily understood format. Your attempt to prove that property is abstract fails because your logic tree is trying to draw a direct line where none exists. i.e. Property to land to legal title to agreement..are all real not abstract. An agreement is enforceable by law and only your definition would call it abstract. BY "calling" it abstract you then allow yourself to go back up your tree so you can call property "abstract". As they say...No way Jose...El casa del Energia no tiene sufficiente gasolina para este exposicion.
    Hi Birmaboy. I thought Casa del Energia gave a decent summery of just how abstract a Deed/Title to a bit of dirt and what sits on it actually is.

Let me tell you about my investment property in Syria
    Last edited by STRAT; 15-08-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Syria huh? This is what Eric the clapper said about it.
    Eric Clapton (July 1985, Guitar Player):
    When asked whether the Gibson is still his ‘blues’ guitar: “In some respects, yeah. When I get up there onstage, I often go through a great deal of indecision, even while I’m playing. If I’ve got the black Strat on and I’m in the middle of a blues, I’m kind of going, ‘Aw, I wish I had the Les Paul.’ Then again, if I were playing the Les Paul, the sound would be great, but I’d going ‘Man, I wish I had the Strat neck.’ I’m always caught in the middle of those two guitars. I’ve always liked the Freddie King / BB King rich tone. At the same time, I like the manic Buddy Guy / Otis Rush Strat tone. You can get somewhere in the middle, and that’s usually what I end up doing, trying to find a happy medium. But it’s bloody anguish.”

Heres another one should hold its value better than Syria.
    You Can Buy Land in Scotland & Become a Lord or Lady From £29.99

Scottish landowners have long been called Lairds (Lords) and Ladies, and now you can become a titled landowner too with plots starting at £29.99 for one square foot.
    You can also buy much larger plots of land – the perfect gift for someone with Scottish ancestry or for those who are passionate about conservation.
    You can see what our customers think by reading our reviews on Trustpilot. As you will see, our gift packs are as beautiful as the land we sell!
    Click here to read a list of FAQ’s

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Hi Birmaboy. I thought Casa del Energia gave a decent summery of just how abstract a Deed/Title to a bit of dirt and what sits on it actually is.

Let me tell you about my investment property in Syria
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Hi B
    Scottland. eh?
    Of course you do realize a Title is an abstract concept and only of value if there are other people around who will accept and adhere to it.

Eric C. Hmmm.
    Not sure what this has to do with Syria or abstract concepts but get him to click on the link at the bottom of my posts and all doubt will leave him. He will slip into his next blues solo relaxed and sure his tone is crisp powerful and full of soul.

Disc : Do love the Les Paul.

PS a bit worried as to the value of the deed to my bungalow in Egypt too.
    Last edited by STRAT; 17-08-2013 at 10:06 AM.

I'm a bit worried about your choice of investment property Strat..next you'll be telling me you own a condo in Fukashima, apartments in Bopal, residential complex in low-lying ground in New Orleans and a four star luxury property in Chernobyl. All of little value but probably with valid title. Gibson EB3 bass was my weapon of mass destruction many moons past... (68) Fenders frets were too long for agile movement. Fender probably would have deflected more tear gas canisters in Egypt however since the Gibson was hollow. Now theres a good investment ...forget shares and property..classic guitars and musical instruments would be the way to go. Bought my Gibson for 200 odd (us) and sold it 5/6 years later for 500 Nz as I recall. Probable lost on the exchange rate but its a good story anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Hi B
    Scottland. eh?
    Of course you do realize a Title is an abstract concept and only of value if there are other people around who will accept and adhere to it.

Eric C. Hmmm.
    Not sure what this has to do with Syria or abstract concepts but get him to click on the link at the bottom of my posts and all doubt will leave him. He will slip into his next blues solo relaxed and sure his tone is crisp powerful and full of soul.

Disc : Do love the Les Paul.

PS a bit worried as to the value of the deed to my bungalow in Egypt too.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Globally property prices in some cities are overvalued now. Some of the cities having over priced properties are leading cities in India, London, Hong Kong Singapore, and Auckland, leading cities in Australia such as Sydney, Melbourne, Leading cities in Canada such as Toronto, Ottawa and leading cities in China. Remember still property prices will go up in the above cities and it will lead to next asset bubble.

My ideas are not a recommendation to either buy or sell any security, property, commodity or currency. Please do your own research prior to making any investment decisions

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    Globally property prices in some cities are overvalued now. Some of the cities having over priced properties are leading cities in India, London, Hong Kong Singapore, and Auckland, leading cities in Australia such as Sydney, Melbourne, Leading cities in Canada such as Toronto, Ottawa and leading cities in China. Remember still property prices will go up in the above cities and it will lead to next asset bubble.

My ideas are not a recommendation to either buy or sell any security, property, commodity or currency. Please do your own research prior to making any investment decisions
    Thank you MARKETWINNER for that timely warning..

Will now focus on buying up all the available property in Nightcaps.. Southland.. Must be on a MARKETWINNER with those prices ..

Might even be able to get percy to oversee and take care of my interests.. Seeing that Christchurch is such a depressed area..

What say you percy ??.. Commission !! 2.5% of 5 eigths of F@£% A*& :-))