sharetrader
Page 12 of 205 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Whipmoney View Post
    Sam Morgans backing it by putting $2.5m on the line:

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/sam-mor...po-ck-p-142385
    I really need to sort me out a subscription.

Having him back it means that it should go well, at least initially till we start getting growth numbers to (hopefully) support the price.

Moosie - no longer a cockup?
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
    I almost get the feeling they asked him,
    of course they asked him - they would be dumb not to.

That doesn't mean he invests in just anything. No matter how rich you are $2.5m is decent money.

Quote Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
    I almost get the feeling they asked him, as he and wynyard know that others will buy simply because hes buying in.
    Potentially but I just think guys like him are optimistic about investment opportunities such as these.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipmoney View Post
    Potentially but I just think guys like him are optimistic about investment opportunities such as these.
    Yes but guys like us expect people like him to recognize the difference between a golden goose and a lemon. I expect that he gave it a good look first.

So at this stage the lead brokers are not confirming this so where has the stuff site or who ever brought this out obtained the info

I'm really surprised Sam Morgan is allowing himself to be used in this way. If this current tech boom turns to custard, he could end up "attached" to it, in the same way Eric Watson ended up attached to the 99/00 period. If you recall, anything Watson was in, went up. Until the boom ended - then it was a black mark.

I hope the same doesn't happen here.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    mmm, dont underestimate the sam morgan/richard branson/peter thiel/milford growth effect sparky. we have seen many stocks soar when people think they are following the smart money...
    Yes and thats why I say his involvement will be good for the company.

BUT in the end, the company must stand on its fundamentals. No 'SuperInvestor' can change that. Sure they may be better at picking the better company's but that doesn't mean they get it right 100% of the time.

I personally see this as a good sign. While Sam does invest in a lot of tech companies, he doesn't invest in them all. Therefore he must have some selection criteria which, given his experience are probably better than mine. I also note that this is not a new start up, which Sam is helping to take off. It is an established company, and while fairly new, is a spin off of an existing company which Sam has no involvement in - again a positive sign as his investment should in theory be based on investment criteria rather than start up/angel investing criteria.

Sparky - you can kill a lot of cats for $2.5m. While inconsequential, I don't think the decision would have been taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    Which is precisely what Gareth Morgan is now up to.

I should declare, while I have a huge admiration for Sam Morgan, I do not share the same sentiments for his father, who I think is a loudmouth lunatic who has underperformed and underdelivered in funds management.
    Couldnt agree more on Gareth --Gareth was also less transparent on his own fees whilst he got great publicity criticising others on their fees. I do wonder however whether some name investors are also able to negotiate put options on the side for added protection. I'm intriqued to see PIE Funds newsletter refers to being in the money on put options.

From memory wyn float this Friday - closed fully subscribed at the lower end of the price range

Thoughts from investors who got an allocation or investors keen to pick up a few

I took an allocation. More a punt rather than some deep analytical work. I feel this is what the share market is about, letting people invest in companies with strong growth ambitions. I know they are likely to tap me on the shoulder for more money but I am happy with that. Xero has proven if you get the right people on board and are not too greedy then you can be successful. Wynyard has the opportunity to form some strategy over their listing that could help them grow. Good luck to them. Hope they have a good listing however this is a long term play so not too worried about the first day, week, month. The next two years is a better time frame to judge.