sharetrader
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

no more spreading of good reputation left for me! thanks anyway
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

IMO

Hi KW was just looking at your thread now. Its awesome , thanks. Im pretty ignorant on charting so don't even know which line is a 50 or a 200 moving average.? Can you recco a website for beginners chart wise? have just emailed Direct brooking and looked at Etrade but am i right they don't offer charting? hell Z offers to check and pump up my tyres so whats up?

Also been thinking its about time i subscribed to a newsletter and was thinking of Motley Fool you don't rate it. I have noticed a lot of these paid subs places seem to put sells and buys up far too late( after they've sold/ bought? cheers JT

IMO

Found FT.com (thanks lizard) for charting and basic learning. cheers DJV

IMO

au.finance.yahoo.com also excellent for charting/etc.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Have any of you folk heard of these guys .. http://rebellionresearch.com/main.html
    I googled and found a few references and interviews with the company. Apparently using Artificial Intelligence (quant modelling) to drive stock selections. Would anyone care to comment on what /where they think this type of trading is going. Anyone here currently investigating this field?.

Quote Originally Posted by absolut-advance View Post
    I recommend to be careful.
    If you choose to go ahead just dip your toe in.
    What are your expectations?
    Rebellion's artificial intelligence based multi-asset class strategy has managed money for ourselves and our clients since 2012
    hmmm lol
    AA prefers "real intelligence" rather than "artificial intelligence" .....but each to their own i guess.
    AA
    Absolut - Im not thinking of using their systems. They are USA based anyway. They are a young company, I wish them every success.
    I think the concept is interesting, the tech is available to do it, there would need to be some mathematicians temporarily involved, some liberal picking of peoples brains to gather Investing concepts, a lot more reading of available literature to gather additional related scenarios and techniques etc. There's already numerous "Expert Systems" based on the collective knowledge of multiple appropriate people skilled in some target fields,, Drilling Rigs, Medical, Flight Dynamics etc. This slant is not one that has occurred to me before, a combo of data-mining and Machine Learning mixed in with good old fashioned Rule Based (Heuristics) programming.
    Last edited by arc; 14-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Guru

Useful ?
    S&P 500 Ichimoku Cloud

Ichimoku Cloud (or Ichimoku Kinko Hyo) is a technical anlysis method that combines leading and lagging indicators with traditional candlestick charts in order to provide a comprehensive trading system. Developed by Japanese journalist Goichi Hosoda in the 1960s, Ichimoku Kinko Hyo is translated as "one balance equilibrium chart", while the common name of Ichimoku Cloud refers to its appearance. Ichimoku can be displayed as a separate indicator in Minute, Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly format.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Useful ?
    S&P 500 Ichimoku Cloud

Ichimoku Cloud (or Ichimoku Kinko Hyo) is a technical anlysis method that combines leading and lagging indicators with traditional candlestick charts in order to provide a comprehensive trading system. Developed by Japanese journalist Goichi Hosoda in the 1960s, Ichimoku Kinko Hyo is translated as "one balance equilibrium chart", while the common name of Ichimoku Cloud refers to its appearance. Ichimoku can be displayed as a separate indicator in Minute, Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly format.
    Thanks Kiora
    Interesting. I havent seen that one before. Does anyone have a copy of the formula that drives it.

Guru

Ichimoku Cloud

S&P 500 Ichimoku Cloud

Ichimoku Cloud Formula

Ichimoku Cloud consists of 5 lines plotted on the Candlestick chart:

Tenkan-Sen

Often referred as the Conversion Line, Tenkan-Sen is simply the mid-point of the latest 9 trading days/periods — the average of a 9-day High and 9-day Low on a daily chart.

Kijun-Sen

Kijun-Sen, or Base Line, is the mid-point of the latest 26 trading days/periods. The two lines (Tenkan-Sen and Kijun-Sen) are used in a similar fashion to fast and slow moving averages.

The "Cloud" itself consists of two leading moving averages:

Senkou Span A

Senkou Span A is the mid-point between the first two lines, Tenkan-Sen and Kijun-Sen, but plotted 26 days/periods ahead of the current period.

Senkou Span B

Senkou Span B is the mid-point between a 52-period High and a 52-period Low and is also plotted 26 days/periods in the future (ahead of the current day).

Last is the lagging indicator:

Chikou Span

Chikou Span is simply the Closing Price, but plotted 26 days/periods in the past.

Ichimoku Cloud Trading Signals

The Cloud: Finding the Trend

The trend is upward when price is above the Cloud.

The trend is downward when price is below the Cloud.

The trend is flat (undetermined) when price is in the Cloud.

The Cloud is green when Senkou Span A is above Span B. A predominantly green cloud indicates a strong up-trend (or weak down-trend), while a predominantly red cloud indicates a strong down-trend (or weak up-trend).

Trading in an Up-trend

Signals above a green Cloud are stronger than signals above a red Cloud.

Go long when Tenkan-Sen (blue) crosses above Kijun-Sen (red).

Go long when Price crosses above the Kijun-Sen (red) line.

Exit when Price crosses below Kijun-Sen (red).

Exit when Tenkan-Sen (blue) crosses below Kijun-Sen (red).

Trading in a Down-trend

Signals below a red Cloud are stronger than signals below a green Cloud.

Go short when Tenkan-Sen (blue) crosses below Kijun-Sen (red).

Go short when Price crosses below the Kijun-Sen (red) line.

Exit when Price crosses above Kijun-Sen (red).

Exit when Tenkan-Sen (blue) crosses above Kijun-Sen (red).

Example 1

The S&P 500 index is plotted on a weekly chart with Ichimoku Cloud.

S&P 500 Ichimoku Cloud

Price above the Cloud indicates an up-trend. The first buy signal is when the blue line (Tenkan-Sen) crosses above the red (Kijun-Sen), after the green Cloud indicates the trend is firmly established. The second long entry (if pyramiding) is when Price closes above the red (Kijun-Sen) line. Again, the green cloud indicates an established trend. A third entry signal is available when the blue line (Tenkan-Sen) again crosses above the red (Kijun-Sen). Exit if Price closes below the red line (Kijun-Sen) — or the blue line (Tenkan-Sen) crosses below the red.

Thank you Kiora
    I will have a play with this info and see what rolls out. It will take a couple of days as I aim to code it into a small program to test automating the process.