sharetrader
    IMO

Default Paid Research /investment newsletters

I think there is a thread somewhere re this but cant find it.

Im thinking of taking out a sub to maybe "the Motley Fool" for info on Aussie shares. anyone subscribed to this and anyone with paid subs to other publications that they rate highly?. I read Market Analysis occasionally, also Diggers & Drillers, Aust small cap Investor and have trialled alan kohler's , smart investors and others.

Permanent Newbie

I tried Diggers & Drillers for a year. Read his disclaimer carefully as yes you can lose a lot following his recommendations. To be fair it was over a time that was hard on that particular sector of the market but that is why you pay for research to minimise risk. I think he finds a good story puts it out there and if it goes well he is a genius if it goes bad it gets dropped and forgotten.

I also paid for IRG back in the day but did not act on their recommendations much, so cancelled the subscription. I didn't really measure how successful they were.
    I have been meaning to teach myself for years to analyse companies but yet to make the time. This is reflected in my poor investment returns and outright losses. I do find it frustrating buying on a recommendation and then having that recommended price lowered not long after I buy in.

Frustration is a good catalyst to implement change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I tried Diggers & Drillers for a year. Read his disclaimer carefully as yes you can lose a lot following his recommendations. To be fair it was over a time that was hard on that particular sector of the market but that is why you pay for research to minimise risk. I think he finds a good story puts it out there and if it goes well he is a genius if it goes bad it gets dropped and forgotten.

I also paid for IRG back in the day but did not act on their recommendations much, so cancelled the subscription. I didn't really measure how successful they were.
    I have been meaning to teach myself for years to analyse companies but yet to make the time. This is reflected in my poor investment returns and outright losses. I do find it frustrating buying on a recommendation and then having that recommended price lowered not long after I buy in.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

It all depends on what your investment style / space is.

I have tried a large number of the years, and have found (not surprisingly) very few cover the stocks I am really interested in (illiquid small caps)

The best I think was NZ’s Ten Bagger Quarterly, but that unfortunately stopped a few years ago. ASCI is kind of in that space, but has some pretty average picks and more resource focused.

I do however like Tony Locantro’s "Locantro Life" and "Under the Radar", not for their tips, but for the thoughts they give on market sentiment, portfolio construction and general thoughts on the small cap sector. Under the Radar has some interesting interviews with small cap fund managers, while Locantro provides honest / insightful comments in relation to speculative investments and portfolio construction and maintenance.
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!

IMO

Ive found some of these publications are a good resource for market views, various sectors, macro views etc. Seldom have i bought a stock solely based on these publications (except for my early days of investing) , they can point to a sector to look at to find best inbreed, value etc. A friend has subscribed to Motley Fool saying they have less spin, more reason and good analysis hence my asking if anyone had experienced it or others that they rate.
    Some one reechoed "Under The Radar" i think a while back biut cant find that thread. Agree re D&D. The only time i have agreed with them was when they reccoed stocks i already had with the resultant instant price rise

IMO

Cheers Steve, just seen your post. The Boat Fund was very int too but i thinkThe originator closed down and gone into the funds business. Will look at those two you mentioned and let you know re Motley fool if i take out a sub. JT

Joshua tree national park is a cool place to visit if you want out of the human race in california

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    The Boat Fund was very int too but i thinkThe originator closed down and gone into the funds business.
    http://tbfinvest.com.au
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!