sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long have you held a cash portfolio for?

Hey guys, what's the longest you've ever been on the sidelines and held a large cash position for? Is anyone in that position now or thinking about it?

Kaspar I hold various cash deposits, Term, online savings accounts.ect & a few bonds over the last 15 years along side conservative NZ & Aust share portfolios.
    Possum The Cat

Im sitting on more cash than ever as I am a growth investor and most shares out there are currently fully priced (IMHO). That does not mean all of my equity is in cash, around 50:50 split.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspar View Post
    Hey guys, what's the longest you've ever been on the sidelines and held a large cash position for? Is anyone in that position now or thinking about it?
    I haven't bought anything since April 2012.

I'm about 40% in stocks and 60% in cash (savings account) and this percentage increases each month from my salary.

I prefer to be patient and when a stock is mis-priced in my favour I load up considerably.

I was about 99% cash pre GFC, moved towards <5% cash by 2011. Am now about 45% cash with a rising bias (Augmented by savings, investment income and gradual equity sales).

Equities I own are generally fair to fully valued but mostly trending up strongly. Exited one of my favourite Aussie companies, AMM @ around an average of $1.80 which generated a very nice return but compares a bit poorly with the $2.20 high - however the choice to exit reflects my view on Australia and some valuations.

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post

I'm about 40% in stocks and 60% in cash (savings account) and this percentage increases each month from my salary.

I prefer to be patient and when a stock is mis-priced in my favour I load up considerably.
    Brilliant!
    h2

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    The NZX50G is up 29% since then. Not saying the decision is wrong, just pointing out the opportunity cost of a conservative strategy.

Each time I make a move to cash, I find a new company to buy. Not doing to well this year unfortunately. Maybe I should be holding a bit more cash.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

IMO

Had a buffer of cash for ages but this year been loading up on good div stocks like TIX on ASX giving me 10% (more in $nz) on my mainly 45c buy, TEL, CNU etc so not alot of cash atm but planning on freeing up more soon to sit and watch for poss selloff bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    The NZX50G is up 29% since then. Not saying the decision is wrong, just pointing out the opportunity cost of a conservative strategy.

Each time I make a move to cash, I find a new company to buy. Not doing to well this year unfortunately. Maybe I should be holding a bit more cash.
    The NASDAQ went up the same 29% in 3.5 months in early 2000.

The NZX 50 went up 27% in 9 months in late 2006-mid 2007.

I'm not particularly concerned about "other people" making money on the rise of the sharemarket in the last year faster than I am doing. I've found a strategy that I understand and makes sense for me and allows me to sleep at night. The last purchase I made in April 2012 is up around 61% or 66% if you include dividends so I haven't completely missed out on the rise in sharemarkets in the last year.

IMO

Good thread kaspar thanks. A very personal decision and although i like the strat of having all of ones money working hard .(like a few very successful friends of mine do). It comes down to philosophy , knowledge, confidence, how much time you want to spend micro/managing, what your risk/ hunger/ reward situ is. I do tend to always want plenty of cash for ops but am aware its been a pretty lazy risk/reward/return lost op waiting/situ/up until now. And Riskon/off/on/off gets a bit schizoid at times if one listens to the noise.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 03-06-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: "all of ones money" what i meant