sharetrader
Page 85 of 277 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I couldn't care less whether its fits the specification of some index or not. People and business's have to buy it. In the last oil crisis last decade when Oil hit $U.S.147 a barrel and fuel prices skyrocketed fuel volumes declined just 2%. That's not a typo, just 2%. What that tells us is that the demand is extremely robust and highly inelastic relative to price. Business's and consumers (other than the very small percentage of those that have an electric car) must buy it whether they want to or not, just they must buy food or electricity whether they want to or not. It is a consumer staple item and only those that can't think for themselves and rely on indices will come to a different conclusion.
    you can call it what you like beagle but fund managers etc wont be buying it as a consumer staple they be buying it as exposure to the energy sector.

As for the div i agree with you it is nice at the moment , as EV picks up it will decline as more people leave fuel. hardly a staple like toilet paper
    Last edited by bull....; 02-05-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    could be your classic value trap. if buying for the div ( which is nice) you must assume the risk that over time you might lose your capital
    Yep that happened to me with SPK, nice divie but my capital loss is greater than the divie so stuck holding waiting “patiently” for it to go back up. Dont think these divie shares are for me

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    you can call it what you like beagle but fund managers etc wont be buying it as a consumer staple they be buying it as exposure to the energy sector.

As for the div i agree with you it is nice at the moment , as EV picks up it will decline as more people leave fuel. hardly a staple like toilet paper
    Just stop talking and start reading the presentation. Open you mind. Market sees it like I see it but I'm dumb and so is the market...or could it be that its you who has blinkers on
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Just stop talking and start reading the presentation. Open you mind. Market sees it like I see it but I'm dumb and so is the market...or could it be that its you who has blinkers on
    im listening to the presentation lol , they forecasting a loss for flick next yr . i recoomend they merge with genesis energy would be a great fit

Well signalled previously that Flick which is a very small part of their operation wouldn't contribute in FY20.
    EV's uptake is slowing https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/112...tives#comments
    Z reported that although internationally battery prices are coming down we're not seeing these being passed on to shoppers on the retail floor.
    The giant VW group recently released a report showing the whole of life CO2 output for EV's was not dissimilar to ICE cars.
    People buying one to save the planet are kidding themselves and probably supporting child slave labour in the cobalt mines.
    The more I think about it the slower I think the EV uptake will be and I am thinking it will be very late in the 2030's before this has any meaningful impact on retail petrol volumes which are only 29% of fuel volume sold by ZEL anyway.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Outside thinking.

There was an interesting discussion on RNZ this afternoon on 'Microbility.' Here's the link.

In effect they are saying the next 'disrupter' for the car industry (and petroleum industry) is not cars or Ecars, but rather small EV's such as Ebikes and EScooters. If this is right, then there are implications for ZEL and the likes of TNR. Have a listen and DYOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    There was an interesting discussion on RNZ this afternoon on 'Microbility.' Here's the link.

In effect they are saying the next 'disrupter' for the car industry (and petroleum industry) is not cars or Ecars, but rather small EV's such as Ebikes and EScooters. If this is right, then there are implications for ZEL and the likes of TNR. Have a listen and DYOR.
    interesting , I see westfarmers wes in aus has made a big move today into the EV market

Guru

https://www.afr.com/business/energy/...0190502-p51jfu

Credit Suisse's equities seeking buyers for a 7.7 per cent stake in dual-listed petrol station owner Z Energy.
    The broker was offering 30.8 million shares at $NZ6.08 a share - a 4.6 % discount to the last close
    Credit Suisse was selling the shares on behalf of an "institutional investor" according to terms sent to fund managers.
    They say Lazard Asset Management selling out.

Awesome opportunity to top up. Hope that gets reflected in the share price on the NZX tomorrow as if it does and that price is cum divvy that's a 13%+ gross yield forecast for FY21. Strike me with the dog lead if that doesn't get me moving to mop some up.