sharetrader
Page 92 of 277 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think it could have a very small effect. That said N.Z. 's biggest loyalty program Airpoints has just been rolled out at Z and will replace the AA smartfuel program at Caltex so its probably swings and roundabouts and it'll come out close to even.
    Obvious there is heating competition between the loyalty programs. Z has been offering the odd day with 3x or 4x Airpoints which I've been taking advantage of. Almost a shame my hybrid doesn't use more petrol to get bigger advantage of the Airpoints offers :-)
    Oh well, them is the breaks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Obvious there is heating competition between the loyalty programs. Z has been offering the odd day with 3x or 4x Airpoints which I've been taking advantage of. Almost a shame my hybrid doesn't use more petrol to get bigger advantage of the Airpoints offers :-)
    Oh well, them is the breaks :-)
    For a customer the AA Smartfuel programme is still better. I have ran the numbers. AA Smartfuel's 10c promo effectively becomes 20c under the Z Energy loyalty.

AirNZ Points
    2 months under the AA programme, say 20L each time 2x a week that is 16x visits. Obtains $3.20 Airpoints. 3x promo is $10. (Standard is $1APD per 100L of fuel).
    Assume every time 10c off, that means 16x visits each 20L = $32.

OTOH the AA programme gets $80.

This is understated since I kept the maths simple ie assuming petrol still is $2.00. Ie $40 fill BP vs AirNZ programme's 20L required.
    Last edited by rayonline; 06-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    For a customer the AA Smartfuel programme is still better. I have ran the numbers. AA Smartfuel's 10c promo effectively becomes 20c under the Z Energy loyalty.

AirNZ Points
    2 months under the AA programme, say 20L each time 2x a week that is 16x visits. Obtains $3.20 Airpoints. 3x promo is $10. (Standard is $1APD per 100L of fuel).

This is understated since I kept the maths simple ie assuming petrol still is $2.00. Ie $40 fill BP vs AirNZ programme's 20L required.
    But some also need more Airpoints to retain "status" with AIR so the Airpoints are quite valuable. You have not taken that into account and fair enough as it is only really of value for frequent travellers.

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post

AirNZ Points

Sorry I don't follow. Typically the AA rewards gives 6 cpl off. 16 visits for anyone who can be bothered working the system to the extreme, (gosh that's a lot of visits in 2 months) gives 16 x 6 cps = 96 cpl discount at final visit, (assuming you accumulate rewards every visit) but this is limited to 50 L of fuel = $48. I could be wrong but I'm not sure very many people would bother visiting twice a week every week just to earn another $16 in rewards, (assuming you've done your maths right with the airpoints system)
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    But some also need more Airpoints to retain "status" with AIR so the Airpoints are quite valuable. You have not taken that into account and fair enough as it is only really of value for frequent travellers.
    Status with Air NZ is determined by status points earned, not Airpoints dollars earned. The only way to gain status points is to actually fly Air NZ (or an applicable partner airline) or use a credit card that provides you with status points as rewards alongside Airpoints dollars. Filling up on petrol just gets you Airpoints dollars and no status points.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Airw0lf View Post
    Status with Air NZ is determined by status points earned, not Airpoints dollars earned. The only way to gain status points is to actually fly Air NZ (or an applicable partner airline) or use a credit card that provides you with status points as rewards alongside Airpoints dollars. Filling up on petrol just gets you Airpoints dollars and no status points.
    You are right. My Z spend gives me status points from the credit card. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Sorry I don't follow. Typically the AA rewards gives 6 cpl off. 16 visits for anyone who can be bothered working the system to the extreme, (gosh that's a lot of visits in 2 months) gives 16 x 6 cps = 96 cpl discount at final visit, (assuming you accumulate rewards every visit) but this is limited to 50 L of fuel = $48. I could be wrong but I'm not sure very many people would bother visiting twice a week every week just to earn another $16 in rewards, (assuming you've done your maths right with the airpoints system)
    Many families including us have 2 cars.

Generally every week BP/Caltex has a 10c discount promotion. Each of our cars don't visit every week. What we do is when the tank is mostly empty we put in 2x $40 separately then when the tank is 1/3 empty we can top up $40. At the forecourt, you can put in $40 2 times separately one after the next, then you go to the counter and pay for each separately (one after the next). You don't have to pump $40 and go in and pay it, and come back out and pump and pay the 2nd time. Or simply use the BP app.

So 2 cars. 8 week for the 2 months. 16 visits. 10c off per each time. $1.60 accumulated up. Applied to 50L. $80 ($1.60x50).

Edit. Airpoints progamme is $1APD per 100L.
    Assuming it's $2/L it's not but assume. BP's 16x visit of $40 = 20L each time times 16 = 320L. This is $3.20 APD. Let's also assume it's ALWAYS 3x Flybuys/APD promo = ~$10.
    Z Energy also provides discount at pump 6c usually but let's assume it's 10c. 320L x 0.10 = $32.
    $32+$10 = $42..
    Realistically with Z Energy they don't have 10c discount that often and don't have 3x Flybuys/APD always. Also with petrol now more at the $2.30L, maybe realistically Z Energy gets you $20-25 discounts for the 2 months?
    Last edited by rayonline; 07-06-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Okay...thanks for clarifying your methodology to get to $80 rewards per 2 months.
    My wife simply doesn't care where she fills up, when the fuel light comes on she pulls into the next petrol station that appears on her route without even a second thought for the pump price or any rewards scheme. I would think there's quite a few motorists that do exactly the same thing. Saves a lot of time and effort.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-06-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Last edited by minimoke; 20-06-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Well, I'm hopeless. I run my tank till empty and then just fill up at the closest petrol station. Too much work involved in trying to save a buck.
    LOL....same here.....instead of trying to save a few $'s on petrol it is much more satisfying to be making heaps of $'s investing good shares.