sharetrader
Page 80 of 277 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

percy

I use my Gold Card [thanks Winnie] at NPD and Challenge and get 15 cents off a litre.
    I sometimes take advantage of Sticky Club [Pak'nSave] promotions ,where I get 40 cents off a litre, if I spend $200 at Pak'nSave.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    The 6 cents isnt the point. What it is doing is discouraging airpoint members from using an alternative fuel supplier and encouraging them into the Z door to buy higher margin stuff..
    I can currently (according to gaspy) get petrol at NPD for $2.18 or $2.21 at BP or Z
    Don't know or use gaspy, but from my experience in the real world I have never seen a less than 16 cents difference between NPD Hornby and e.g. the BP station down the road. Normally it is more, but it well might be that other NPD stations have different (higher) prices. Anyway - MGL Hornby (though not advertised and no road signage) is typically still a handful of cents cheaper than NPD Hornby.

I understand that the main purpose of these discount systems is - next to collecting data - to get customers to buy other high margin stuff.

Can't speak for these customers, never bought food or similar while fuelling up a petrol station but given that every Tom, Dick and Harry is offering these days the same discounts can't I really see why customers want to jump on just another 6 cent system.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    There is nothing like that sort of difference in N.Z's biggest fuel market, Auckland. Gull is typically just a few cents cheaper.
    A small percentage will change and lots of little things can make a difference.
    Christchurch (and other parts of the mainland) eagerly awaits Gull who are coming this year. Maybe our fuel will become as competitive as Auckland's. It's hard to imagine this being beneficial to Z. In the meantime, we do the same as BlackPeter and go to the self serve NPDs which are consistently cheaper without needing to faff about with extra cards.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Don't know or use gaspy, but from my experience in the real world I have never seen a less than 16 cents difference between NPD Hornby and e.g. the BP station down the road. Normally it is more, but it well might be that other NPD stations have different (higher) prices. Anyway - MGL Hornby (though not advertised and no road signage) is typically still a handful of cents cheaper than NPD Hornby.

I understand that the main purpose of these discount systems is - next to collecting data - to get customers to buy other high margin stuff.

Can't speak for these customers, never bought food or similar while fuelling up a petrol station but given that every Tom, Dick and Harry is offering these days the same discounts can't I really see why customers want to jump on just another 6 cent system.
    I can't speak for the quality of fuel that some of the unmanned shops provide but Gull's 98 is not the same quality as BP or Mobil's 98 Octane. It contains about 10% enthonol.

I think the point some of you guys might be missing is that (and I am not pretending for one minute Z's offer with airpoints is any more compelling than anyone else's) airpoints is N.Z's biggest loyalty scheme buy a country mile with IIRC, over 2 million members. People love free travel. Brand power. Location. Facilities. Service. (forecourt concierge) Think about it...most people fuel up at one of the closest fuel stations to their home and ZEL have a really good established network in good handy locations with good facilities. When travelling out of town most people want to clean their windscreen properly, have a coffee and maybe a snack, use the bathroom and maybe get icecreams for the kids and themselves.

Not everyone is a tight ass and wants to use an unmanned station with zero facilities and is prepared to drive many kilometers out of their regular path to find one spending their time and money to save a few pathetic cents a liter.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

The 6 cents doesnt excite me. I'm a person with zero loyalty cards (except airpoints) and care zero about the cost of fuel. I tend to run my tank dry and fill up at the closest station - I cant be bothered faffing around wasting time driving to some 6 cents off place.

The news I posted doesn't excite me either. But I am pleased to see them negotiating something that will benefit some people and in some respects evens the playing field when it comes to loyalty / discount schemes. Much better them doing this little thing than sitting back and doing nothing - and they have more goodies in store coming up.

percy

MM You have a lot of pleasure to look forward to when you reach 65.
    Winnie's GOLD CARD,means you may seldom have to fill up your car,may not need one, as busues are free between 9 am and 3 pm and after 6pm.
    However, should you need to fill up, 15 cents off at Challenge and NPD.
    I never leave home without it.

looks like I may need to buy at Z to make up for the 6 cent loss in SP today.

Advanced Member

I

Not everyone is a tight ass and wants to use an unmanned station with zero facilities and is prepared to drive many kilometers out of their regular path to find one spending their time and money to save a few pathetic cents a liter.
    Beagle describing someone saving 20 cents a litre as a tight ass is a bit derogatory .
    That great NZ company Z sees fit to charge 20 cents a l more in Wellington than Levin ( that massive high volume City North of Wellington ) just because we have no Gull here . Note bulk fuel comes in by ship to Wellington , so more litres and cheaper delivery ...,
    Economies of scale ????
    On Sunday I went to the Wairarapa local Wellington station 228.9 a litre,
    Mobil Featherston 208.9 on top of this with a supercard account I get 16 cents a litre off the pump price .
    I’ll let you do the maths but I don’t see that as being a tight ass. Just rewarding a decent loyalty scheme and shopping wisely .
    Leaves more money to purchase more shares ...

Everyone is going to have different points of view about this based on where they live and their local area pricing.
    One example of this is that although Percy might find he gets a genuine 15 cents per litre off by filling up at Challenge, (which he keeps reminding us about regularly), our neighbourhood challenge is a very old small and dirty service station that typically has a window card price 8-9 cpl higher than surrounding stations so the 15 cpl discount is useless in its application here.

My point is that over two million airpoints members got an email today advising them of this new scheme and over 2 million kiwi's love building their airpoints. Airpoints to many members are not the same as money and if you can't understand the value of this promotion then that's fine and I won't try and elaborate further. You either understand brand power or you don't. I think this is a positive development for ZEL.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Everyone is going to have different points of view about this based on where they live and the area in which they live.
    One example of this is that although Percy might find he gets a genuine 15 cents per litre off by filling up at Challenge, (which he keeps reminding us about regularly), our neighbourhood challenge is a very old small and dirty service station that typically has a window card price 8-9 cpl higher than surrounding stations so the 15 cpl discount is useless in its application here.

My point is that over two million airpoints members got an email today advising them of this new scheme and over 2 million kiwi's love building their airpoints. Airpoints to many members are not the same as money and if you can't understand the value of this promotion then that's fine and I won't try and elaborate further. You either understand brand power or you don't. I think this is a positive development for ZEL.
    Brand power yep I guess that's why you chose Holden over Mercedes.......