sharetrader
Page 171 of 277 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221271 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2763

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121...o-north-island

Something I have suspected for months. Aucklanders are the ones currently being "fleeced". Bring it on !!
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Something I have suspected for months. Aucklanders are the ones currently being "fleeced". Bring it on !!
    Further reinforces my belief that the Z model of higher margins and making money from purchases in the shop is dead. Too much competition and self service pumps are spreading like wildfire withZ/Caltex/Mobil/BP are asleep at the wheel. NPD, Waitomo, Allied, Gul and Mckeowns have been able to build their no-frills stations and the customer is going for the lower price point. Without tourism the mainstream players will suffer more (tourists are more likely to pay higher prices as they don't know what is the norm). Add to this the terrible investments Z have made (Flick has been written down to ~half of what they paid) and don't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Just my 2c anyway, disc - non holder.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post
    Further reinforces my belief that the Z model of higher margins and making money from purchases in the shop is dead. Too much competition and self service pumps are spreading like wildfire withZ/Caltex/Mobil/BP are asleep at the wheel. NPD, Waitomo, Allied, Gul and Mckeowns have been able to build their no-frills stations and the customer is going for the lower price point. Without tourism the mainstream players will suffer more (tourists are more likely to pay higher prices as they don't know what is the norm). Add to this the terrible investments Z have made (Flick has been written down to ~half of what they paid) and don't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Just my 2c anyway, disc - non holder.
    The self-service providers have spread like wildfire in the South Island, and to a lot of places where traditionally have been completely fleeced by the big fuel companies and/or had their pumps removed.

Places like Twizel, Lumsden, Dunback, Ettrick, Ranfurly, Otematata, Glenavy, Kingston, Clinton, Centre Bush etc. I never go to Z or Caltex or the like unless I have to and have no choice. Why would you?

Dead right about the tourists K14 - Caltex/BP in Wanaka have always been about 40-50c per litre for diesel and about 20-25 for petrol more than the local self-service - less than 1Km away.

Now with no tourists to fleece suddenly only 6c dearer...….

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    The self-service providers have spread like wildfire in the South Island, and to a lot of places where traditionally have been completely fleeced by the big fuel companies and/or had their pumps removed.

Places like Twizel, Lumsden, Dunback, Ettrick, Ranfurly, Otematata, Glenavy, Kingston, Clinton, Centre Bush etc. I never go to Z or Caltex or the like unless I have to and have no choice. Why would you?

Dead right about the tourists K14 - Caltex/BP in Wanaka have always been about 40-50c per litre for diesel and about 20-25 for petrol more than the local self-service - less than 1Km away.

Now with no tourists to fleece suddenly only 6c dearer...….
    Yeah it is crazy. Jump on app Gaspy right now diesel is 98c a litre vs $1.26 at Z and $1.30 at Caltex in Alexandra. Pretty similar for petrol although the discrepancy is down to 14c. In Cromwell, diesel is 13c cheaper at Allied than Z/BP. This is happening all around the SI. Crazy that the NI is so much less competitive even though there is the Gul effect.

Yes you can get some discounts by jumping through hoops at BP/Caltex/Z but why bother when you can just drive up to Mckeowns any time of the day and save more anyway?

Also, Z own flybuys, wonder how much that has been written down in the last few years? Then the NZRC ownership, how are they going to turn that around? Couldn't make a profit when they were basically unaffected by COVID, how will they make one now?

Little known fact is Gull is owned by Caltex Australia who are fleecing Kiwi's in the north island just like the others are. Its usually cheaper after the discount scheme to fill up at my local manned Mobil station that includes a subway outlet therein rather than the unmanned Gull station just up the road from where I live. The local ZEL is almost always the most expensive around here by a considerable margin.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

Little known fact is Gull is owned by Caltex Australia who are fleecing Kiwi's in the north island just like the others are. Its usually cheaper after the discount scheme to fill up at my local manned Mobil station that includes a subway outlet therein rather than the unmanned Gull station just up the road from where I live. The local ZEL is almost always the most expensive around here by a considerable margin.
    I understood that Caltex NZ is owned by ZEL, not by Caltex Australia?

You are right macduffy, however 2 different companies- as beagle says Gull owned by Caltex Aussie who do not own Caltex NZ - go figure!

Cracks me up how we still refer to is as "unleaded 91" in this country...when could you last buy leaded fuel?

Be nice to see some more competition for 98. A lot more cars on our roads should be running that than currently, but due to lack of understanding and the extra "fleecing" re 98, people are putting engines that really should be run on the higher grade stuff at risk.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You are right macduffy, however 2 different companies- as beagle says Gull owned by Caltex Aussie who do not own Caltex NZ - go figure!
    Exactly. If we're being fleeced by Caltex NZ, we're being fleeced by our own countrymen/women. Of course, the biggest shears are being wielded by H M Govt!

Edit; Apologies for misinterpreting Beagle's post, having read some unintended ambiguity into it.!

Last edited by macduffy; 02-06-2020 at 04:11 PM.

“ Z Energy Limited (NZX/ASX:ZEL) ("Z") is pleased to announce that its NZ$60 million share purchase plan ("SPP") has closed. The SPP received strong shareholder support with Z receiving applications totaling approximately NZ$57.5 million.”

The price was $2.806

I guess this means most people got what they applied for. Did anyone here apply?