sharetrader
Page 46 of 277 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

My reaction to the Coalition Governments "were gunna get tough on oil companies" statement was to assume they had read the tag line on Snoopy's posts and put it into practice.

'Management top tip: Share the responsibility. Change your name by deed-poll to "Someone Else"'

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

IMO

Every govt talks tough about petrol prices, Judith Collins did it more than once but they really cant do much. Im a bit disappointed in our leader on this one. I agree with Hamish, you have to hurt folks in the back pocket and they will go through their 5 stages of mourning (Denial,Anger,Bargaining, Depression Acceptance and at the other end become responsive and action change for change we must with this planet heating up.

This is a golden opp to educate and incentivise kiwis to start conserving/ changing/ switching. To value fuel and not treat it like water( valuing/conserving water is coming fast too). i hope the Greens and our govt go hard and jump on to this opportunity , this catalyst for change.

Veteran novice

Unfortunately, the govt is instead taking the "easy" option of bashing the oil companies - conveniently overlooking the increases recently in the price of oil and the weakened NZD, into the bargain.

this is probably not the correct thread to have a political discourse on,however I will get my 2 cents worth.

How a leader of govt. can stand there and say they don't know why petrol prices have gone up is totally unrealistic.They have so many hangers on and civil servants to advise them.When Jo-public knows the answer and nobody in govt.has a clue,it's time to dump the govt.!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    this is probably not the correct thread to have a political discourse on,however I will get my 2 cents worth.

How a leader of govt. can stand there and say they don't know why petrol prices have gone up is totally unrealistic.They have so many hangers on and civil servants to advise them.When Jo-public knows the answer and nobody in govt.has a clue,it's time to dump the govt.!
    Totally agree. Cindy's Kindy is looking less competent by the day. You nailed it when you said the populous knows but they don't. Total ineptness.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Every govt talks tough about petrol prices, Judith Collins did it more than once but they really cant do much. Im a bit disappointed in our leader on this one. I agree with Hamish, you have to hurt folks in the back pocket and they will go through their 5 stages of mourning (Denial,Anger,Bargaining, Depression Acceptance and at the other end become responsive and action change for change we must with this planet heating up.

This is a golden opp to educate and incentivise kiwis to start conserving/ changing/ switching. To value fuel and not treat it like water( valuing/conserving water is coming fast too). i hope the Greens and our govt go hard and jump on to this opportunity , this catalyst for change.
    JT - yes there is a real good opportunity to educate and incentivise the public. The flip side is that petrol taxes are very regressive on low income household particularly where the proportion of income spent on fuel taxes, excise duties and ACC fees is relatively higher compared to middle and high income households for a number of reasons - they tend to travel longer distances to work as housing is relatively cheaper away from the city centre and use more fuel and their incomes are lower. Also many of these household have bread winners working long hours that aren't served well by public transport and are forced to drive.

I do agree that higher fuel prices do see changes to patronage of public transport but often the hardest hit by fuel taxes are not those that who really have choices readily available to them. And it would take a lot of price signalling for me to switch from my second hand petrol SUV to a similar sized EV SUV - much more than most households will cope with.

Guru

Yes , oil is up 50% plus in 1 year. Why on earth would one target a NZ company where many NZ shareholders(including me) gain from and a large portion of profits stay in NZ. Try BP or Mobil if you must!. Even better find ways to reduce your fuel usage and pollution, including ride share, EV and hybrid, planning less trips to do more ,etc.

No surprises Donald trump has been meddling here as well with 2 million barrels of oil a day removed from the mkt due to Iran sanctions. USA is self sufficient in oil now i believe, funny that ehh.
    NZ is a small market a long distance from suppliers. Are they factoring that into international comparisons?

If NZ oil and petrol retailing were so profitable why did Shell sell up to Z? In the last 10 years margins have recovered to make it a sector worth investing in...so the government consequently wants to whack the sector on the head again. Go figure! Are they trying to find a scapegoat to divert attention from their hike in fuel taxes?

Is Z going to be another Telecom? When the company changes from foreign ownership to one with a lot of small Kiwi shareholders, the government (and ComCom) decide to come down hard and to make it less profitable. It makes me think that it's little wonder that the NZ share market is so tiny for an OECD nation of our size.

The Government with their unexpected $5.5b surplus could and should do a LOT more to incentivize electric vehicle uptake but I suppose there's working group #149 looking into that due to report back in a couple of years time.

On the subject of Z they are consistently the main offender in the surrounding suburbs where I live in having the most expensive fuel. This consistency is remarkable in its durability and has been going on for years. The thrust of their marketing about doing good under the hood and appealing to the public's sense of nationalist pride that they're a Kiwi company looking after Kiwi's or words to that effect is about as disingenuous as advertising ever gets in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-10-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

The margins have expanded by double. Z energy is profiteering and will get hit by the CC

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    The margins have expanded by double. Z energy is profiteering and will get hit by the CC
    no way its all smoke and mirrors by the govt , has been for decades nothing changes only the faces
    one step ahead of the herd