sharetrader
Page 100 of 277 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2763

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Z isn't complaining about their 3.6c. Jacinda is complaining about getting only 120c
    Booze, fags and petrol ....always been that way

Arnold Nordmeyer was pretty good at upsetting the populous with tax increases on these
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Arnold Nordmeyer was pretty good at upsetting the populous with tax increases on these
    Jeeez you're dragging up the ancient history now w69. He died 30 years ago aged 93 , but yes of religious background (Presbyterian) and Labour, perhaps Jacinda sees him as an idol .

Now that petrol has an ecologically friendly alternative there is even more political justification for taxing it hard.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

It's all smoke and mirrors. Let's say Z net margin is comparable to the other players and fairly represents the situation. And let's assume the margin is cut by 50%. That means pump price would be less than 2c a litre doesn't it? Hardly worthwhile to anyone. We all know the greatest cost factor is taxes and that can't be disputed whichever way it's sliced and diced.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

The populace - or the part of it that has the biggest influence on politicians - is also anti a CGT. So hence the necessity for high excise and high GST.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Jeeez you're dragging up the ancient history now w69. He died 30 years ago aged 93 , but yes of religious background (Presbyterian) and Labour, perhaps Jacinda sees him as an idol .

Now that petrol has an ecologically friendly alternative there is even more political justification for taxing it hard.
    Why is Nordmeyer’s religion relevant? I think Ardern is agnostic for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Why is Nordmeyer’s religion relevant? I think Ardern is agnostic for a start.
    I'm just assuming that as a Presbytarian he hated smoking and drinking and taxed them heavily. I understand Jacinda had a Mormon upbringing though may not be in the fold at present.

Perhaps one of the bad things that might come out of the CC is forcing them the 3 larger players to share their infrastructure. It would be a big distraction from core business.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I'm just assuming that as a Presbytarian he hated smoking and drinking and taxed them heavily. I understand Jacinda had a Mormon upbringing though may not be in the fold at present.

Perhaps one of the bad things that might come out of the CC is forcing them the 3 larger players to share their infrastructure. It would be a big distraction from core business.
    ....Not only presbyterians - part of the lifestyle of many religions and non-religious people.

I think big oil is the current whipping post in NZ. Yesterday it may have been Chorus and Telcos in general. Big Supermarkets and Big Building products are in the sights too.

Labour tried to address the inequitable burden of taxation on income earners - but that was stymied with the NZF veto of a CGT. So perhaps now Labour is turning its attention to relieve the burden for those for whom fuel expense eats up a large percentage of their income.

If Labour reduced its GST and excise take on fuel, how would it replace the lost income for government and roading?

I am in this purely for yield so have I have decided to exit my stake at this stage and will reevaluate my position in due course. The political climate is simply too hostile at present and I have noted a breakdown through the 100 day MA. The blatant hypocrisy of this Government with their rampant and repeated increases in fuel taxes makes me almost physically sick.
    AIR has a higher yield and is in my view a better risk-reward proposition at this point, (see my post in that thread this morning) and AIR's yield in my view is likely to be more sustainable over the very long term. FWIW that's where I redirected my capital...not much joy fighting Govt, might as well join with them with their majority stake in the airline. I have learned from my gentailier investments partnering with the Govt is much more rewarding than fighting them ! Good luck to holders.
    As stated above, I will reevaluate this one down the track a bit.
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

looks like jacinda has reinforced the downtrend in price. charts should confirm if goes under 6
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    looks like jacinda has reinforced the downtrend in price. charts should confirm if goes under 6
    Might soon retirement, electricity and banking stocks follow zel because these stocks are very next target for this govt. should have known this earlier.