sharetrader
Page 53 of 277 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Wow, terrible beating for us shareholders today - down almost 7% and counting and with the threat of further regulation just around the corner, who knows where this will end up.

I'm feeling really "fleeced" today.
    Do you think those who complained that Z energy were making monopolistic-type profits will now turn around and say that Z should actually increase their margins? I doubt it somehow.

I doubt it too

Veteran novice

Plenty of reasons for Z's profit fall, as outlined in the CEO's briefing. The one that could/should have been managed by the company was the drop in market share, especially in petrol. Perhaps the switch in supermarket affiliation to Foodstuffs from Countdown isn't a big success with customers despite the significant sales of fuel to the former.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Plenty of reasons for Z's profit fall, as outlined in the CEO's briefing. The one that could/should have been managed by the company was the drop in market share, especially in petrol. Perhaps the switch in supermarket affiliation to Foodstuffs from Countdown isn't a big success with customers despite the significant sales of fuel to the former.
    Yeh thats the one that got me changing...

I'm really having a gutsful of loyalty marketing and plastic cards from retailers and hookups between petrol, supermarket etc
    So its quite possible others are too.

'Waitomo' are making small inroads as well.
    Does everyone use the app 'Gaspy' to find cheapest petrol?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Yeh thats the one that got me changing...

I'm really having a gutsful of loyalty marketing and plastic cards from retailers and hookups between petrol, supermarket etc
    So its quite possible others are too.

'Waitomo' are making small inroads as well.
    In Z’s case it’s the manipulation of prices using these loyalty things that could get them into trouble

How often have they had a price rise followed a few days later by a x cents off the promo. All to clever for their own good
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I see Z Energy majority-owned Flick is in the news a lot at the moment. As a Z Energy shareholder (albeit very small) I wondered if it was a good idea adding Flick or at the very least spending as much as $46M on it. Flick hasn't really added many customers since May last year and it appears that a fair percentage of customers seem to head for the door at the first sign of spot price trouble rather than ride it out. I like the idea of a spot price option but just at this stage New Zealanders don't seem keen on it. Having said that, Flick seems to be a pretty slick, innovative operation with good customer service.

I'm attending that Craigs Investor Road Show next month featuring Mercury (don't hold), Summerset and Z Energy. I"ll be interested to hear why they thought it was a good idea to purchase Flick, I'll keep an open mind. Maybe doing something really old fashioned like paying off more debt would have been a better use of the cash. I'll be interested to hear what they say.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12150226
    Flick had adverse impact on Z earhigs this half ...what’s a few million between friends
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

crude down 15% from the highs last couple weeks , nz dollar up from lows.

mike bennetts comments

“Margins typically come under pressure when crude prices rise steeply, as prices at the pump lag behind the increases in the price of crude oil, and customers are sensitive to new, higher price points.”

wow so now the margins will be enormous and the price at the pump hasnt even fallen back to comparable levels lol . even fatter margins

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1811/S00021/z-energy-cuts-guidance-a-second-time-as-1h-earnings-drop-21.htm
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I certainly do. Why pay more for a generic product than you have to.

Banned

Nov 4. (Reuters) - The oil market’s two-year bull run is running into one of its biggest tests in months, facing a tidal wave of supply and growing worries about economic weakness sapping demand worldwide...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-global-oil-rally/oil-rally-faces-tidal-wave-of-supply-idUKKCN1N904U

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    In Z’s case it’s the manipulation of prices using these loyalty things that could get them into trouble

How often have they had a price rise followed a few days later by a x cents off the promo. All to clever for their own good
    If their competitors also increased their prices as a result of increasing oil prices, it could be that Z is being generous by offering discounts?

However generally that annoys me too. Z is not the only retailer that does that. Isn’t it widespread throughout retailing? Does there need to be a tightening up of general legislation?

ComCom have a guideline on price discounting here: https://comcom.govt.nz/consumers/dea...rvices/pricing
    Last edited by Bjauck; 05-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.