sharetrader
Page 59 of 277 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think that $1.06 that's been reported is the national average. If you're "lucky" enough to live in Auckland you can add 11.5 cents per liter to that for their new Auckland regional fuel tax, a whopping total of $1.175 per liter in tax for Aucklanders for every liter of fuel consumed !
    Some market commentators say the rest of the country (mostly Wellington because no competition) is actually paying that Auckland levy ....companies just adjusting national prices to cover it ..as long as they pass the necessary Auckland bit to the govt Jacinda is happy.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Some market commentators say the rest of the country (mostly Wellington because no competition) is actually paying that Auckland levy ....companies just adjusting national prices to cover it ..as long as they pass the necessary Auckland bit to the govt Jacinda is happy.
    Probably something in that mate... As long as Cindy gets her taxes...from your favorite new news outlet. https://www.moneymorning.co.nz/why-j...ol/2018/11/06/
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Probably something in that mate... As long as Cindy gets her taxes...from your favorite new news outlet. https://www.moneymorning.co.nz/why-j...ol/2018/11/06/
    I think that people on here ought to stop bleating about how bad the fuel taxes are. I would argue that the fuel taxes are the most efficient and equitable tax that we pay:

• You get to choose whether you pay -- if you dislike them a lot then take the bus or ride a bike
    • For those that must drive a vehicle you get to choose how much you pay -- you can elect to have a more efficient vehicle, share rides or live closer to work
    • At least some of the taxes go back to benefit the road users -- the more you use the greater the benefit

Contrast that to GST and income tax:
    • I don't have the choice not to pay
    • I have little control over how much I pay
    • There is likely to be an inverse correlation between tax payers and users of government services -- those of us that pay the most taxes are likely to be recipients of fewer of the services paid from taxes

And finally, given that there is ample evidence that fossil fuel use is driving climate change, we should be thankful for the high prices (and taxes) as they will drive innovation and efficiencies and maybe extend the liveable life of the planet by a few years.
    Last edited by Onion; 08-11-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: speeling

All good points although you overlooked that people buy their fuel and pays heaps more tax with net income after that's already been taxed.
    Then they pay GST on all that excise tax from net income that's already been taxed and then they levy Aucklanders with a special regional fuel tax but everyone else is exempt. On top of that we pay carbon taxes.
    The gall of Cindy to say Government taxes are not the cause of high fuel prices !

Enough I say...I have a new more fuel efficient vehicle on order which burns ~ 40% less taxes..opps I mean fuel.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

levy Aucklanders with a special regional fuel tax
    Non-Aucklander have no interest in our taxes fixing Auckland's transport problems -- surely that is one of the fairest taxes in existence -- paid only by Aucklanders and with the proceeds going straight back to assist the Auckland taxpayer. Your roading costs need to be paid from somewhere, if not the targeted tax you will pay via rates or general taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Non-Aucklander have no interest in our taxes fixing Auckland's transport problems -- surely that is one of the fairest taxes in existence -- paid only by Aucklanders and with the proceeds going straight back to assist the Auckland taxpayer. Your roading costs need to be paid from somewhere, if not the targeted tax you will pay via rates or general taxes.
    ...but it’s likely non-Aucklanders are essentially paying a lot of that Auckland fuel tax
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

The 10 billion dollar a year black economy would say that many are very skilled in avoiding paying GST on income. PS-Not everyone believes that burning fossil fuels has any influence on climate change.
    Last edited by couta1; 08-11-2018 at 02:20 PM.

All good points although you overlooked that people buy their fuel and pays heaps more tax with net income after that's already been taxed.
    Then they pay GST on all that excise tax from net income that's already been taxed and then they levy Aucklanders with a special regional fuel tax but everyone else is exempt. On top of that we pay carbon taxes.
    The gall of Cindy to say Government taxes are not the cause of high fuel prices !

Enough I say...I have a new more fuel efficient vehicle on order which burns ~ 40% less taxes..opps I mean fuel.
    Forgot that in addition to all the above mentioned taxes we pay ACC levies on vehicle registration, plus GST on them, Road user charges for diesel vehicles plus GST thereon and if all that isn't enough the roading network is so underdeveloped we have to pay road tolls for certain sections of the road as well. How many taxes is that !
    But lets have an enquiry into ZEL and the other energy companies because they're the ones fleecing us...come on, its beyond pathetic !
    Whoever coined the phrase "Cindy's Kindy" is dead right, ever notice how kindergarten children always try and blame someone else when things go wrong ?
    Wonder if Santa might also bring me an electric bike this year ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.

IMO

Sounds like you're in the doghouse(kindy kennel) yourself lol

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    I would argue that the 1.5 million Aucklanders are paying the lions share of excise duty intended for maintenance of the national roading network and are cross subsidizing the national network of roads which are predominantly far less frequented than Auckland roads. If Aucklanders excise tax had been reinvested back into Auckland roads there would not be the requirement for local politicians to engage in their pet projects which will by and large be useless to the vast majority of the regions road users.

Anyway...rather than hijacking this thread, (sorry folks) perhaps we should have a debate on all the "wonderful" new ways the government is taxing us (despite promising no new taxes in their first term) in a separate thread in the off market section.