sharetrader
Page 93 of 277 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Well, I'm hopeless. I run my tank till empty and then just fill up at the closest petrol station. Too much work involved in trying to save a buck.
    But ... leaving till the petrol light comes up isn't good for the fuel pump which can be expensive to fix. I get your point though ...

I can't help wondering how many people actually drive a wee way out of their way to participate in their favourite incentive scheme.
    If you then put a price on the cost to motor out of their way on a regular basis including the fuel costs itself and the wear and tear and then out a value on the extra time involved even at say $20 hour to max out said incentive scheme...well I wonder how many people are effectively like a cat chasing their own tail lol

On the other hand there's probably a number of people like Rayonline who have a local BP or Caltex that's really handy and that might have s somewhat competitive pump price because its close to a Gull or Waitomo so the rewards a real if you work the scheme hard enough. I suspect most people are somewhere in the middle and may have a couple of rewards scheme's (like I do) and just choose the most convenient fuel station that participates in one of those schemes that has a competitive pump price on the day... but won't drive out of their way to waste time or fuel to try and max any particular scheme right out to the nth degree.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Last edited by minimoke; 20-06-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I can't help wondering how many people actually drive a wee way out of their way to participate in their favourite incentive scheme.
    If you then put a price on the cost to motor out of their way on a regular basis including the fuel costs itself and the wear and tear and then out a value on the extra time involved even at say $20 hour to max out said incentive scheme...well I wonder how many people are effectively like a cat chasing their own tail lol

On the other hand there's probably a number of people like Rayonline who have a local BP or Caltex that's really handy and that might have s somewhat competitive pump price because its close to a Gull or Waitomo so the rewards a real if you work the scheme hard enough. I suspect most people are somewhere in the middle and may have a couple of rewards scheme's (like I do) and just choose the most convenient fuel station that participates in one of those schemes that has a competitive pump price on the day... but won't drive out of their way to waste time or fuel to try and max any particular scheme right out to the nth degree.
    Staying in a major city yeah ... we get a selection of petrol companies conveniently. There are less and less Caltex now however. The main car is use daily so we just do a quick stop at the petrol station at a time that it is convenient. The other car that is not used frequently we can shift things around a bit, ie I might go to the post office tomorrow instead because there is a promotion running. Our petrol prices are identical in our area.

We don't have a Gull, Upper Hutt in Wellington has a Waitomo too far for us but they are cheaper for a laid back approach, go in anytime. AFAIK Waitomo is 10c cheaper than their nearby BP/ZEL/Caltex but a AA Card's 10c works out to be more like 20c when accumulated up and redeemed.

No extra work for myself. I just manage this inventory (same with food) so I don't waste it, I spend within my means and also have a bit left over for investing. A bit analytical also to max out the scheme can be a bit of fun.

Fair enough mate. I have the AA rewards thing and Mobil smiles. I work both a bit but the Mobil station is closer and more convenient and has a Subway within it and one of those fancy new brushless car wash systems too.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Caltex pulling out of the AA Smartfuel programme at end of July - https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bus...-from-august-1

Veteran novice

More a case of AA dropping Caltex, I think.

After all, Caltex is owned by Z, BP's competition.

Yes , quite right macduffy, so who will be the other fuel partners - Mobil and/or Gull - says will have 300 sites across the country (includes BP I presume)

Not a good look for electric cars...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbHpqWjMVE

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Not a good look for electric cars...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbHpqWjMVE
    Obviously, could have been anything starting this if its not fake ... but yes, battery technology is not yet quite safe (that's where I should put in my pitch for ATC and HPA . But no matter how you store energy anyway (be it chemical (e.g. petrol), electrical (e.g. battery), mechanical (e.g. spring) or through location), if something goes wrong than the bigger the amount of energy the louder the bang ...

Cars using conventional fuel like to spontaneously combust as well:

https://www.theclever.com/20-dangero...us-combustion/

... and it might be even a higher percentage of cars than the handful of Teslas which did the trick so far
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 11-06-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)