sharetrader
Page 136 of 277 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2763

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

the stickers on fuel caps will bring the price down lol
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, I'm inclined to that view too, peat, although the big oil co's don't own the refinery outright, of course. How many players do you need in an industry to ensure competition? The answer of course is - it's political.
    We had 5 major players including Gull and Caltex until the Commerce Commission in its "infinite wisdom" decided a few years ago that it was okay for Caltex and ZEL to merge.
    Surely this is a major egg on face moment and its now completely obvious that competition has been undermine by that merger.

Over time I have witnessed the premium grades of fuel basically doubling the price premium they used to trade at compared to 91 Octane.
    e.g. ZEL used to sell 95 octane for 5-6 cents per liter more than 91 Octane about 6-8 years ago. 95 Octane is now 14 cents dearer than 91 at most of their stations.

98 Octane used to be 16-18 cents per liter dearer at BP than 91 Octane and is now well north of 30 cents per liter more expensive than 91.
    A good thing is this price board for all grades as I think the dramatic widening of margins for premium grades of petrol is unjustified and I know from some recent article that the AA is of the same view.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    We had 5 major players including Gull and Caltex until the Commerce Commission in its "infinite wisdom" decided a few years ago that it was okay for Caltex and ZEL to merge.
    Surely this is a major egg on face moment and its now completely obvious that competition has been undermine by that merger.

Over time I have witnessed the premium grades of fuel basically doubling the price premium they used to trade at compared to 91 Octane.
    e.g. ZEL used to sell 95 octane for 5-6 cents per liter more than 91 Octane about 6-8 years ago. 95 Octane is now 14 cents dearer than 91 at most of their stations.

98 Octane used to be 16-18 cents per liter dearer at BP than 91 Octane and is now well north of 30 cents per liter more expensive than 91.
    A good thing is this price board for all grades as I think the dramatic widening of margins for premium grades of petrol is unjustified and I know from some recent article that the AA is of the same view.
    AA rather hypocritical .......are they going to end the AA Smartfuel program which is one of the causies of motorists being ‘fleeced’
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Stuff headline “Petrol could fall 18c a litre if fuel retailers forced to show price”

Jeez - Z only make 4 to 5 cents a litre now.

Incentive schemes a dime a dozen mate...seems almost everyone has one so I'm not sure you can legitimately call them out for being hypocritical for that.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/117...how-to-improve "In some cases, premium was selling 40c to 50c a litre higher than 91 Octane, which Stockdale said was "outrageous".
    This rort has been going on for far too long !

What's very clear going forward is ZEL's margins will come under increasing pressure and if they thought their margins were under unprecedented pressure this last six months, they ain't seen nothing yet ! Its very clear in my opinion the current forecast dividend rate is not sustainable in the medium term.
    The rational move would be for ZEL to streamline their organisation but reading through one or two of their recent presentations management think they're still a "growth company" Say what ???

Prices could come down 18-32 cents per liter https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12291251
    "Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is the fleecer-in-chief," Bishop said."
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Point being fuel cards apparently have lead to higher margins ....the thing AA moan about

From the 589 page report
    Attached Images Attached Images

"and discounting has been associated with higher margins overall" Emphasis added. Doesn't actually say its causative though does it.
    I think margin creep is unrelated and would have happened regardless. You see this with the margin expansion on premium grades of fuel that I've talked about today. Totally unrelated to discounting, the margin expansion on premium has been dramatic because its less transparent and they've done it simply because they can get away with it.

Bit surprised the shares haven't come in for more selling pressure today.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-12-2019 at 03:26 PM.

"and discounting has been associated with higher margins overall" Emphasis added. Doesn't actually say its causative though does it.
    I think margin creep is unrelated and would have happened regardless. You see this with the margin expansion on premium grades of fuel that I've talked about today. Totally unrelated to discounting, the margin expansion on premium has been dramatic because its less transparent and they've done it simply because they can get away with it.
    Yes agree beagle, not that I use premium grade but all the reporting by the "media/commentators" is on 91 and to a lesser extent diesel, leaving them to edge up the higher grades more or reduce them less than 91

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Stuff headline “Petrol could fall 18c a litre if fuel retailers forced to show price”

Jeez - Z only make 4 to 5 cents a litre now.
    Exactly. Trouble is coming with the profitability of ZEL as sure as night follows day...
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12291165
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Exactly. Trouble is coming with the profitability of ZEL as sure as night follows day...
    not that sure , I mean, that is really, really, really sure, and lots of things could happen that mitigate this current crusade.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....