sharetrader
Page 159 of 277 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2763

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Oh for goodness sake. Fleeced?? Most OECD countries have chunky fuel tax. US is an obvious exception but have you driven on their decrepit roads and navigated the arcane ways to pay the rather high tolls? Dreadful model. Someone has to pay for stuff and fuel tax seems a reasonable model for a non-communist state. If any of you can demonstrate that all the costs of road transport (including policing, ambulancery, hospitals, environment and long term pollution costs blah blah) are materially lower than all the related road tax paid then brilliant, present it. Did National reduce fuel tax? I dont recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by dibble View Post
    Oh for goodness sake. Fleeced?? Most OECD countries have chunky fuel tax. US is an obvious exception but have you driven on their decrepit roads and navigated the arcane ways to pay the rather high tolls? Dreadful model. Someone has to pay for stuff and fuel tax seems a reasonable model for a non-communist state. If any of you can demonstrate that all the costs of road transport (including policing, ambulancery, hospitals, environment and long term pollution costs blah blah) are materially lower than all the related road tax paid then brilliant, present it. Did National reduce fuel tax? I dont recall it.
    Oh for goodness sake, chill. TaxCinda coined the phrase when she said we were being fleeced by the fuel companies. The irony was not lost on many. Anyway, what contribution are those electric cars making towards the cost of road transport, while the less well-heeled are taxed heavily to drive to work in their old gas guzzling tanks?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Oh for goodness sake, chill. TaxCinda coined the phrase when she said we were being fleeced by the fuel companies. The irony was not lost on many. Anyway, what contribution are those electric cars making towards the cost of road transport, while the less well-heeled are taxed heavily to drive to work in their old gas guzzling tanks?
    The TaxCinda thing is a bit silly, fuel taxes have been around for ages and will continue. By the way I don't think we are being fleeced I have shares in Z!

TaxCinda
    we're funny eh.
    there are some that say that trump can do no wrong, some that say he can do no right.
    ditto for john key
    ditto for jacinda ardern

absolutes, and being blind to alternatives, are an interesting way to view and live the world

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_d View Post
    we're funny eh.
    there are some that say that trump can do no wrong, some that say he can do no right.
    ditto for john key
    ditto for jacinda ardern

absolutes, and being blind to alternatives, are an interesting way to view and live the world
    Yep. Binary thinking. There is a lot of it on Sharetrader (and everywhere). Makes the political threads very hard going, but also the supposedly non-political ones too, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dibble View Post
    So true.

Went to Houston twice last year. The roads were abominable - pot holes in so many places, truly shocking condition and this was just outside the galleria area. Worst roads ever in any Western country we have driven in. A decent fuel tax to fund this would help but then again Yankees have this aversion to any government and taxes - something about god, guns and liberty (for the rich).

I think some of you are taking the political thing a little too seriously. If you don't think there is irony in a government (be that a Labour or a National lead one) suggesting we're being fleeced by the fuel companies, then I don't know what to say. Not sure what a litre of 91 costs atm as I haven't bought any for over a month, but let's say it's $1.80... That has about 74c worth of fuel excise tax in it, then another 23c in GST (~10c of which is tax on tax). So over 50% tax before you even consider the tax a fuel company might pay on any profit. Yes, I'm sure it all goes to worthy places blah blah, but my point remains, it's a little ironic for a government to suggest we are being fleeced by the fuel companies.

Investor

I think some of you are taking the political thing a little too seriously. If you don't think there is irony in a government (be that a Labour or a National lead one) suggesting we're being fleeced by the fuel companies, then I don't know what to say. Not sure what a litre of 91 costs atm as I haven't bought any for over a month, but let's say it's $1.80... That has about 74c worth of fuel excise tax in it, then another 23c in GST (~10c of which is tax on tax). So over 50% tax before you even consider the tax a fuel company might pay on any profit. Yes, I'm sure it all goes to worthy places blah blah, but my point remains, it's a little ironic for a government to suggest we are being fleeced by the fuel companies.
    Hit the nail on its head, roughly about more than 50% of retail pump price at anytime account for govt tax take. If they (govt) wants to do something about it, they should look at their own backyard first.

Guru

Perhaps it is electorally easier to raise populist ire and direct it on non-government scapegoats than to address inadequate government legislation and unfair tax policies?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesekiwi View Post
    So true.

Went to Houston twice last year. The roads were abominable - pot holes in so many places, truly shocking condition and this was just outside the galleria area. Worst roads ever in any Western country we have driven in. A decent fuel tax to fund this would help but then again Yankees have this aversion to any government and taxes - something about god, guns and liberty (for the rich).
    The Brits taxed their tea and the American colonists tipped the tea into Boston Harbour. If a fuel tax were introduced, would the Texans tip their oil into the Rio Grande?