sharetrader
Page 203 of 277 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2763

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Out my way Z station has 91 @ 2.22 and Pak'n' Save next door (also supplied by Z according to the pump) has it for $2.06 all before any discounts.
    May be Pak'N'Save is taking the hit and trying to get more people in to the Supermarket with cheaper petrol??

P.S. The other 2 stations nearby, a Mobil and a GAS all at 2.22, however sort of between them and me ( a little closer) a Mobil and Caltex at $2.10
    Our suburban Z is currently 3cpl more for 91 than the cluster of stations 10km away. Another suburban Z a few km from to me has the same 3cpl difference. That isn't enough to warrant traveling the distance to save the $1.20 on a full tank, or even sit in the queue at the slightly cheaper sites, but I accept other locations may have larger price discrepancies. What I have noticed however, is that these discrepancies are fleeting with prices raised or lowered regularly, but with some lag.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Price competition hurts everyone. Where does it stop. Z needs to compete in other ways.
    You're definitely right bottomfeeder, and as consumers we continue to feed this as we shop almost purely on price, and this has resulted in a race to the bottom (no pun intended) with service and quality being compromised. Changes to the supply chain and geopolitical conflict (such as the west v China) will no doubt have a profound effect on all consumer goods & services.

While we do take a cursory look at fuel prices when filling our hybrid vehicle, life is short so I'd rather spend that doing something enjoyable or upskilling which generates a higher income, than our neighbours who prodly announced a few weeks ago they were driving across town because they've found a service station that sells fuel a few cpl cheaper.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 12-03-2021 at 11:51 AM.

I suspect that for many its a similar experience to me and right here is the nub of the issue as I see it. Based on regular routes travelled I have a range of service station options and when my local Z is very consistently 5-7 cpl dearer after discounts than other brands I make a decision in principle that their pricing is excessive so I react by actively avoiding them as my way of making a statement about their market behavior. I would wager there are hundreds of thousands of other potential customers like me that as a result of Z's high pricing feel when Z market themselves as "being for New Zealand" they find that marketing such a a load of rubbish it really puts them off.
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-03-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Consumer behaviour can be weird and I find sometimes the smallest things can influence my choices.

While I commute to / from work, the distance isn't significant and my choice to run a 1.0 litre ICE vehicle running on '91 means I don't really pay much attention to the actual pump prices. Given I fill up once every 1-2 weeks, and my tank is ~40l, @$0.06 cpl, or $2.40 total difference for a full tank means I'm not even prepared to spend an extra 5min finding a different station. It is simply not worth my time compared to almost anything else I could use that for.

So logically geographical convenience would make sense, however I too pass several options each way that would suit. I ended up sticking with Z for what are possibly some really petty reasons. 1. I prefer their pay at pump style machines over the apps / other offerings. 2. They are more consistent with having readily available window washing, oil/atf checking and tyre checking facilities - both available and currently working (as I like to DIY these).

I'm not sure I can claim many others have my experience, or other potential customers like me. Never attempted ad hoc or serious market research in this field.

Not sure how that interacts with my interest in ZEL. I have held in the past, and it is on some of my watchlists, but at the moment other prospects are attracting me more.
    Last edited by Antipodean; 12-03-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Z Electric - Another 'premium offering' that will appear good to those who don't do the numbers properly and are attracted by the fuel 'discount' or litres that will go into Sharetank, and are only redeemable at Z and therefore subject to the 'premium' pricing model.

I'm not with the cheapest power retailer I could be, but even so, at our current usage and the current Z pricing we'd be paying $13-16 more per month after the fuel incentive is taken into account. That's before factoring in the weekly 10c discount days offered by all major competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
    Consumer behaviour can be weird and I find sometimes the smallest things can influence my choices.

While I commute to / from work, the distance isn't significant and my choice to run a 1.0 litre ICE vehicle running on '91 means I don't really pay much attention to the actual pump prices. Given I fill up once every 1-2 weeks, and my tank is ~40l, @$0.06 cpl, or $2.40 total difference for a full tank means I'm not even prepared to spend an extra 5min finding a different station. It is simply not worth my time compared to almost anything else I could use that for.

So logically geographical convenience would make sense, however I too pass several options each way that would suit. I ended up sticking with Z for what are possibly some really petty reasons. 1. I prefer their pay at pump style machines over the apps / other offerings. 2. They are more consistent with having readily available window washing, oil/atf checking and tyre checking facilities - both available and currently working (as I like to DIY these).

I'm not sure I can claim many others have my experience, or other potential customers like me. Never attempted ad hoc or serious market research in this field.

Not sure how that interacts with my interest in ZEL. I have held in the past, and it is on some of my watchlists, but at the moment other prospects are attracting me more.
    you could have filled up the sharetank when fuel was cheap. I bought 3000 ltr, for my wife's car 91 1000ltr. for my car 2000ltr. 95
    Filled up my wife's car today, saving atm 46 cents/liter on the discounted price. No, I fo not choose to go to the most expensive station, but always use the same local one.

Quote Originally Posted by ananda77 View Post
    you could have filled up the sharetank when fuel was cheap. I bought 3000 ltr, for my wife's car 91 1000ltr. for my car 2000ltr. 95
    Filled up my wife's car today, saving atm 46 cents/liter on the discounted price. No, I fo not choose to go to the most expensive station, but always use the same local one.
    Well done!

This shows that you can derive good value from Z, but as with so many other companies in other sectors (e.g. Powershop) you will need to be very actively engaged in your purchasing decisions & associated timing, as well as planning your consumption in advance.

Investor

Resumption of dividends following on FY results in May in the range of 12c-14c.

ZEL have massive debt and a very checkered track record of dividend payments and are a sunset industry. Any attempt to invest based on forecast yield is fundamentally flawed in my opinion due to the notorious unreliability of dividends and the companies inability to forecast them. Real caution is required here in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-03-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Resumption of dividends following on FY results in May in the range of 12c-14c.
    That's an earlier dividend than original forecast of FY22... cool

I’m hoping for a bounce in the share price assuming the bubble with Aussie gets announced shortly. Has to be of benefit having extra planes needing the fuel??
    Hasn’t responded very strongly to probable divi or likely bubble so far...