sharetrader
Page 62 of 277 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

IMO

Still have to factor in ones discount cards though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    The cheapest petrol is always at the station after the station where you filled up.
    So true.....or the day after. I just filled up the car and the cans for the mowers and saw etc and then got an email to inform me that the next day was a 10c/litre off day!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    So true. I just filled up the car and the cans for the mowers and saw etc and then got an email to inform me that the next day was a 10c/litre off day!
    Bad timing eh but don’t you feel peeved .....probably put the price up days before or holding back on the next price reduction until they squeezed every cent out of you and others
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Bad timing eh but don’t you feel peeved .....probably put the price up days before or holding back on the next price reduction until they squeezed every cent out of you and others
    Yes I would like greater transparency in relation to pricing. NZ Retail pricing in general in the last 15 plus years has become more opaque. There has been a surge in discounting, loyalty cards and customers being able to negotiate individual discounts. It is a jungle needing greater regulation imo.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Yes I would like greater transparency in relation to pricing. NZ Retail pricing in general in the last 15 plus years has become more opaque. There has been a surge in discounting, loyalty cards and customers being able to negotiate individual discounts. It is a jungle needing greater regulation imo.
    There's always been discounting for big customers just like rental car companies get big discounts or both the cars and their fuel. I think its up to retail customers to work whatever discounts and loyalty card rewards they feel is in their best interests taking into account the proximity of the service stations to their usual route. Its not that hard, certainly not a jungle.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    There's always been discounting for big customers just like rental car companies get big discounts or both the cars and their fuel. I think its up to retail customers to work whatever discounts and loyalty card rewards they feel is in their best interests taking into account the proximity of the service stations to their usual route. Its not that hard, certainly not a jungle.
    So true ....just shows you how much margin they have to play with ...and they plead poverty poor buggers
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Their recent retail operational data volume decline and PM bringing forward the Commerce Commission market study combined with pressure on dividends and earnings has put them under the spotlight. With some petrol companies offering cardholders between 10 - 20c discount per liter which suggests most load their prices to cover. Their current SP looks attractive but imo TP downgrades will follow shortly. There is still a lawsuit outstanding from AIR from the pipeline problems to settle.
    Last edited by dreamcatcher; 10-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Guru

I guess that’s good for those who own their own homes (secure housing) and have secure fixed location employment who can say that they have a usual route. Unfortunately the 1960’s American sitcom style middle class lifestyle is but a fairy tale for many today. I stand by my opinion that present-day NZ retailing (and not just petrol retailing) has descended into a figurative jungle.

Consumer protection was designed to provide safety and certainty for individuals and address the power imbalance inherent in retail trading and not to cover business to business deals as with your hire car company example.

I would have thought no matter where you live or rent or work or travel most people have some sort of regularity to their route and are well capable of discovering which of their local service stations offers most consistently the best deal (taking into account the various discount card schemes) Surely this isn't rocket science ?
    Maybe buy a more fuel efficient vehicle and organize you own super big discount. That's what I did this week and I'm looking forward to a permanent 40% off, (including 40% off the highway robbery fuel taxes which is especially satisfying) what I have been paying as well as only filling up on discount days. The new horse drinks 91 octane too so it will be a very pleasant change to avoid the scandalous premium prices charged by Mobil and BP for their 98 Octane, (further savings).
    What about joing a scheme that gives extra discount e.g. https://www.cardsmart.co.nz/

On that subject, discount days - ZEL in their interim report say that the percentage of fuel sold on discount days has risen by 1% to 73%. People are becoming quite canny about when they buy their fuel which is evidenced by driving into any Z service station on a non discount day and seeing how few vehicles are there. They have fly buys as well as their discount days and if you pay via a credit card that has a decent reward such as 1 airpoint for every $100 spent that's equal to more than another 2 cents per liter off. There are deals out there for most people who are prepared to shop around and of course those that want forecourt concierge, Z are happy to oblige.

One thing I have always respected about Z is that their premium between 91 and 95 Octane is by far the most competitive of the fuel companies. Typically it has been about 11-12 cpl more for 95 as compared to 91 Octane whereas at BP and some Mobil stations its ~ 20 cpl more. I have often wondered why Z don't sell 98 Octane, anyone know why not ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-11-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On that subject, discount days - ZEL in their interim report say that the percentage of fuel sold on discount days has risen by 1% to 73%.
    This period covers the switch by Pack n Save's without pumps and New World from Mobil to Z fuel discount vouchers. I would have expected a greater increase in discount coupon use at Z.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.