sharetrader
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    Interesting to read today that Shaw & Partners said dual listed Smartpay was their highest conviction stock under coverage despite the run up in share price. Glad that I didn't wait to start buying before that little excerpt - I'm up about 35-40% on the smartpay shares I purchased this year in a down market.

Another special crossing today and good retail volumes (both on the asx where the action is).

Moved this from my specy portfolio to my core holdings and a long term holder.
    Well done that Moose! I have been following this one for a while, but sadly missed the boat before it took off I will look to buy a few on any weakness…..

Is SPY the ultimate inflation hedge? Just clip the ticket of ever increasing prices

Taking into account higher interest rates and slower consumer demand?

Quote Originally Posted by kizame View Post
    Taking into account higher interest rates and slower consumer demand?
    Yes, I believe we are in a period of inflation that could run for a decade or so

Hit 0.95 today, hopefully breaching the $1 mark is only a matter of (short) time

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Hit 0.95 today, hopefully breaching the $1 mark is only a matter of (short) time
    Market is pricing in a very good result to be released late November or is there some takeover action at play (too)?

Couple of interesting weeks ahead.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Market is pricing in a very good result to be released late November or is there some takeover action at play (too)?

aye I think its just momentum players catching up to trading going on amongst the institutional holders.

w/ tyro catching its second bid it does raise the question of M&A activity (from westpac, previously from potentia private equity). It was in 2019/2020 that SPY agreed to a bid to sell its NZ business for $70m before covid hit - verifone used comcom delays to back out and resubmit a lower bid which was rejected. But I really don't see that as a driver to the institutional trading, just the very good quarterly update where all pistons were on fire and building expectations for how that translates into the 1H financial result.

for a smallcap (even by NZ standards) smartpay has a great institutional shareholder base. Milford, Microequities asset mgmt, anacacia, ma financial (moelis) all as substantial holders, plus another clutch of insto's below the magic 5% (eg ACC, regal, jencay etc), a number high net wealths and self managed super funds, plus chunky holdings by mgmt and the board. The company has been well regarded for its proactive outreach to the aussie investment community.

given the inherent technology risk in the payments sector I reckon the insto's investment gameplan is a takeover at some point to a large trade player. I think it would be of interest to private equity (pretty sure it's already been looked at) but not sure they could get up to a value that reflects its growth potential and satisfies the instos who'd probably prefer to wait 5 years. I haven't looked at their weighted average entry prices but the big 4 pretty call the shots and the top 20 shareholders own 80% of the shares.

ideal speculation. the M&A aspect isn't part of my investment thesis though I don't mind having it on the horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Great interim results - excellent growth on all fronts.

Some serious momentum building up with this company - looks like all pistons firing.

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...119/384469.pdf
    Last edited by Balance; 28-11-2022 at 09:04 AM.

gosh they read well.

probably see a whole new swath of investing want on board this train now that they are generating EPS. some simply wont invest until the company is profitable

buyers on the asx market depth at 91 cents. applies nzx 98 cents