sharetrader
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Peoples thoughts on this. Seems to be a sleeping dragon. TBF quietly aquiring shares in the background and earnings up on last year. Smartpay systems more and more prominent in shops and no sign off them being replaced by anything else

announcement today and biggest riser on NZX today...

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/315464

any thoughts?

2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar

First mover advantage in the future of payment services, its a pretty good step to at least in future proofing the business. Not sure how much it'll at to the bottom line for now, though if you went to say China and see how influential Alipay or Wepay is, you'd think NZ was a third world country with its eftpos terminals still being the main way to pay.

Anything link to Ali pay is like new blood injection it change the landscape

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Peoples thoughts on this. Seems to be a sleeping dragon. TBF quietly aquiring shares in the background and earnings up on last year. Smartpay systems more and more prominent in shops and no sign off them being replaced by anything else
    Watching carefully........Alipay contract looks good, but what does it mean in terms of actual revenue?

The world seemed full of opportunities when WYN was announcing all its great new contracts, and PLX (remember them?) was announcing contracts with MacD's and IKEA etc..... Contracts are one thing, actual revenue is another, and profits remained elusive.

There are other risks in where technology in this field is headed. Apple Pay and other's are hovering.

I welcome more informed input and am merely watching at this stage. Early days.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I don't know if it's informed comment, but here we go. . .

There are about a squazzabazillion debit and credit and other cards out there, each of which needs to be read somehow, by something, at the point of sale.

Smartpay provide the readers, so they are going to make some money along the way.

But what is the online card spend as a proportion of total card spend? And is it rising?

I have no figures, but I think it's rising. So the proportion of card transactions which don't require a "card reader" is likely to rise as well. So Smartpay are in an expanding market, but a market where they supply hardware which is less and less necessary.

The U.K. has a number of fintech companies - Mondo and Revolut spring to mind - which are app-driven. Sure they are card-oriented at the moment, but their primary focus is the app.

Just like Apple Pay, Android Pay, et al.

After all, if you can pay with your card, and you always carry your card, why carry cash as well, and if you can pay with your phone, and you always carry your phone, why carry a card as well?

There are going to be a lot of cards about for the foreseeable future, but they are going to lose market share to the app-driven competition.

The question is the uptake of phone/app payment systems, and the speed of that uptake.

And how can Smartpay diversify into the new payment ecosystem?

Outside thinking.

Well said GTM... good helpful post which echo's my concerns re the longer term viability of this one.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Well said GTM... good helpful post which echo's my concerns re the longer term viability of this one.
    Think of it in terms of investing in a company which makes printing machinery for machine-readable chequebooks.

1960 No market, but they have them overseas, let's take a punt. . .
    1970 Wow! Everyone's getting a cheque book! Looking good
    1980 Absolutely amazing
    1990 How are these new card things doing? Better keep an eye on them
    2000 Ah hmm what's all this about online payments again?
    2010 The money's coming from the maintenance division, not new sales. . .
    2020 Your guess is as good as mine

PayPal just bought IZettle for $2.2B because they have a good footprint in terminals and apps in Europe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/why-...2-billion.html

SmartPay seems to have the same footprint in Aust and NZ. Much smaller market but good acquisition at some stage for PayPal or some other global player?

Look how similar their pitch is:

https://www.smartpay.co.nz/
    https://www.izettle.com/gb

lots of offers on the ASX seem to be keeping a lid on it but total only $400k..

disc: long and trying to buy more.

another company that looks to be in the same business (but in the USA) as SmartPay: https://www.cpay.com/

just sold 15% of the company for $840m USD valuation vs $23m for SPY.

my uneducated eye, says that there is so much M&A activity happening in the payments space, that it wouldn't be a big surprise if another deal (like the abandoned Pemba Capital opportunity, in 2017) came along soon.

disc: still long, still bidding.