sharetrader
Page 136 of 246 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2458

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Interesting article in todays NBR on Tiwai Pt. Opinion suggests that likely electricity transmission cost reduction will push Tiwai into top 25% of Rio Tinto assets and cement a long term future in NZ. The article also suggests that even at current electricity pricing the plant is likely to stay open. Worth reading if you have access to NBR
    china has in the last few mths cut supply of aluminium this is supporting aluminium prices too at the moment
    one step ahead of the herd

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Interesting article in todays NBR on Tiwai Pt. Opinion suggests that likely electricity transmission cost reduction will push Tiwai into top 25% of Rio Tinto assets and cement a long term future in NZ. The article also suggests that even at current electricity pricing the plant is likely to stay open. Worth reading if you have access to NBR
    Couldn't find that, could you post the link pls.

We get the NBR printed version, it's on page 3

Investor

Oh ic, might only be in the print version then. Surely didn't find it in the online version.

What a cross subsidy. You take 14% of the countries energy and pay nothing for transporting it even though the transmission system had extensive assets built just for the smelter.The domestic consumers will pay for the smelter costs of transport. The EA is politically directed.

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    What a cross subsidy. You take 14% of the countries energy and pay nothing for transporting it even though the transmission system had extensive assets built just for the smelter.The domestic consumers will pay for the smelter costs of transport. The EA is politically directed.
    Not quite the situation.

Current electricity "transport" costs across transpower grid is averaged and levied on all users on a per unit basis

Proposed new system is "user pays", where "transport" cost across the part of the grid actually used are levied to a particular user.

So Tiwai is only charged their share of transporting and maintaining the manuapouri to bluff section of the grid. They would no longer get charged for maintaining and expanding the grid elsewhere

Sounds fair to me, and allows the generators to increase their unit price to Tiwai

The problem is that much of their electricity comes from the north and the reinforcement around Dunedin, invercargill and Clutha is for that .I know because I was part of designing and building it.

Manapouri was built to supply Tiwai Pt. It generates more power than Tiwai uses. In this situation it seems completely fair they are only charged for building/maintaining their share of the manapouri-bluff grid

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    The problem is that much of their electricity comes from the north and the reinforcement around Dunedin, invercargill and Clutha is for that .I know because I was part of designing and building it.
    South flow energy with the Lower South Island (LSI) is not an issue. It was before Clyde was built, but hasn't constrained within the LSI in southflow for a very long time. The LSI upgrades and the SPS at Roxburgh is to allow more energy export from the LSI. I know because I was also part of planning for this work. I suspect we have come across each other in past.

Advanced Member

Results this week what are people thinking divi wise ? Chance of special divi etc ?
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils