sharetrader
Page 137 of 246 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 2458

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    Results this week what are people thinking divi wise ? Chance of special divi etc ?
    at the annual meeting the management commented some shareholders are not happy about special divs as they are fully taxed so they may consider buy back.
    be interesting to see what they decide
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    at the annual meeting the management commented some shareholders are not happy about special divs as they are fully taxed so they may consider buy back.
    The results of share buy-backs are always difficult to quantify - CEN is a great example right now. On paper buy-backs are a more efficient way to return capital to shareholders, but shareholders must sell shares to realise the return and there is a cost involved in selling. But a dividend is something every shareholder receives an immediate benefit from. For me, I would take the dividend every time, even if imputation credits are not available

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Also likely to make it problematic given the government own 51.02%. So then would have to acquire some from them, or otherwise increase their proportion of the company.

But if fully taxed, their major shareholder wins both ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Also likely to make it problematic given the government own 51.02%. So then would have to acquire some from them, or otherwise increase their proportion of the company.

But if fully taxed, their major shareholder wins both ways!!
    Nobody is forced to sell - shares would be bought-back on-market.

MRP did this a year or two back.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Nobody is forced to sell - shares would be bought-back on-market.

MRP did this a year or two back.
    His point was the govt shareholding would increase above 51%. Not really a major in my opinion and would give them the ability to raise some quick cash if they ever needed to.

Investor

I think market is pricing in good outcome tomorrow.

Advanced Member

Yep a strong end to the day still below recent highs though

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    The results of share buy-backs are always difficult to quantify - CEN is a great example right now. On paper buy-backs are a more efficient way to return capital to shareholders, but shareholders must sell shares to realise the return and there is a cost involved in selling.
    xafalcon, what you say about the immediate realisation of a return is correct. But all remaining shareholders do benefit from the buyback. Beacuse as shares are bought back and cancelled, that means the profit in the future will be shared out between a smaller number of shares that remain on issue IOW eps increases for those shareholders that remain. And that means should a remaining shareholder decide to sell at a later date he/she should get a higher price than they otherwise would have, because of the buy back.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Veteran novice

Yes, but I think the falcon's point was that a buy-back doesn't provide the immediate benefit - cash in the pocket - that a dividend does. I would add that it sometimes becomes difficult to appreciate that a buy-back has really had a beneficial effect on the shareprice, due to the influence of other, especially market, causes/conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    xafalcon, what you say about the immediate realisation of a return is correct. But all remaining shareholders do benefit from the buyback. Beacuse as shares are bought back and cancelled, that means the profit in the future will be shared out between a smaller number of shares that remain on issue IOW eps increases for those shareholders that remain. And that means should a remaining shareholder decide to sell at a later date he/she should get a higher price than they otherwise would have, because of the buy back.

SNOOPY
    I understand the theory of buy-backs being better than special dividends. But the theory cannot be proven one way or the other - there is no "control group" against which to compare the 2 options.

The slight increase in regular dividends as a result of cancellation of 0.001% (hypothetical example) of shares on issue is so tiny it is inconsequential.

So it comes down to the increase in SP (less brokerage required to realise the gain in SP) v's a special dividend (less any tax liability). If shares aren't sold immediately, interest (or other investment returns) must also be factored. Note that I'm not saying all shares must be sold, just enough to maintain a constant dollar value investment, the same as holding all shares after a special dividend

But I also can't prove that special dividends are the better option. However an old saying springs to mind "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"

But I have watched MRP and CEN work through buy-backs. With the SP falling part way through the buy-backs, which goes against the theory. IMO market sentiment was a much more powerful force. Hence my preference for a special dividend