sharetrader
Page 16 of 246 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam View Post
    I am sure there are far better long term buys in the NZX or ASX than these Govt controlled Utilites

Meridian forecasts a net profit of 187.9 m [7.3 cents/share] to June 2014 & will distribute 144% of these profits. A gross yield of 13.4% [page 9 of the prospectus] assuming full imputation credits---contradicting a note on page 9 saying future divs will be only partially imputed.
    For the year to June 2015 an annual div of 9.5% is planned [plus some imp credits]--a distribution of 140% of profits.

How sustainable is all this?

How will the company grow with outgoings like this?

And there is the strong possibility of a Labour/ Greens Govt dictating in the future

Not a great picture for a healthy investment which shows share growth & a sustainable return
    So your alternative recommendation is ??

Always ready to look at the ones that are not on the global radar..

veteran

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post

Always ready to look at the ones that are not on the global radar..
    IMO there is no such thing as 'not on the global radar ' when investing on the NZX--the market is too small

I feel the object of investing is to increase ones wealth--& there are a no of shares with a much lower PE than these power utilities & with reasonably sustainable Yields.[ If one wants a bit more risk with a very much greater chance of high growth why not look at the ASX small companies]

IMO Power Cos are not safe utilities with a steady cash-flow ---there are the risks rainfall variations, political risks, water right risks & possible Maori claims

IMO

Still no research open on NZX. They said it would be avail when the offer opens which was 12.01 am this morn.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Still no research open on NZX. They said it would be avail when the offer opens which was 12.01 am this morn.
    lol, you wake up too early

"IMO Power Cos are not safe utilities with a steady cash-flow ---there are the risks rainfall variations, political risks, water right risks & possible Maori claims"

Amalgam - add to the risk list declining demand as discussed on this morning's news. IMO this could be a big one in coming years as the use of solar on rooftops increases and other tech advances.

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Tread very very carefully......

Many Mom's and Dad's got burned with MRP, so will not be keen on Meridian.
    MRP frightend the average NZ,er. (Most of whom are Share Market Ignorant ).
    ​BB

IMO

Twas up early preparing for my daughters birthday.. Hey i still cant access research provided by NZX.Is it my comp thats the prob or cant other people either.Thanks , I have to decide how many shares i take up this morn.

IMO

NZX have just rung and said the Independent research won't be available now until Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    Tread very very carefully......

Many Mom's and Dad's got burned with MRP, so will not be keen on Meridian.
    MRP frightend the average NZ,er. (Most of whom are Share Market Ignorant ).
    ​BB
    I don't think the 'Mums and Dads' ( I hate that condescending term) interest will now really affect the success or otherwise, of this IPO. There seems to be very good interest from Brokers clients already. This would indicate that some of the risks may not be as poignant as the media and Brian Gaynor are indicating.
    The market alone will tell in due course.
    Disc. Have been allocated what I wanted from my broker, which is a reasonably substantial holding.

IMO

I will leave it until the last poss moment to commit to my "substantial" holding. Awaiting anymore poss ambush from greens and labour and independent research on NZX and anything else that may appear in the papers.