sharetrader
Page 61 of 246 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Sorry Blackcap, what I was going to add & got distracted was that if Labour, Greens & the Maori do form a coalition & become the Govt. then yes there is a real risk that they will take back full Govt. ownership of what has already been floated. They have suggested as much but whether they actually carry it out is another story.
    I understand their desire to do that, but I do not think it will be possible. Realistically they would have to pay $3.00 for MRP, $1.30 for MELCA to get to 90% compulsory acquisition and that would be financial suicide.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I understand their desire to do that, but I do not think it will be possible. Realistically they would have to pay $3.00 for MRP, $1.30 for MELCA to get to 90% compulsory acquisition and that would be financial suicide.
    They could go for legislate compulsory acquisition. If they did it at list price, that would be scary. If they did it at zero consideration (winstons proposal), that would be down right terrifying.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    They could go for legislate compulsory acquisition. If they did it at list price, that would be scary
    That would cause serious damage to the NZ economy. Winston's option is unthinkable
    Last edited by blackcap; 22-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.

I doubt they would do that, as in effectively confiscate for zero. We aren't in South America, more's the pity I like South American women... haha.

However they may pay the average of the market over say the previous months etc. The thing is if they come to power & the possibility is in the air would the price be higher or lower? Agree though they would have to legislate for it to happen. They may just agree to pay the issue price. Could be a good thing for share holders depending on where it is trading at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    They could go for legislate compulsory acquisition. If they did it at list price, that would be scary. If they did it at zero consideration (winstons proposal), that would be down right terrifying.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

I doubt they would do that, as in effectively confiscate for zero. We aren't in South America, more's the pity I like South American women... haha.

Your not wrong there Indeed.

Compulsory acquisition, even at list price would set a dangerous precedent and many fund managers would pull investment from NZ causing significant problems. So they may threaten to do that as an election "gimmick" but will not follow through with it.

Guru

However they may pay the average of the market over say the previous months etc. The thing is if they come to power & the possibility is in the air would the price be higher or lower? Agree though they would have to legislate for it to happen. They may just agree to pay the issue price. Could be a good thing for share holders depending on where it is trading at the time.
    I think whatever they do needs to be part of their election policy. That way they can get a mandate like National did for the asset sales.

I do note that during the MEL IPO, Labour was very quiet on the KiwiPower scheme - has Cun_liffe dropped Shearers policy?

Normally I'd throw the voting papers in rubbish, but I will vote in favour of selling state assets.
    I couldn't stand to listen to whining Russell and Cunliffe stating 90 % were not in favour of selling even though only 1 % of population voted.

Guru

I just had a thought... although its probably illegal... you could pick up all the voting papers that people are "binning" and have some extra votes as its a postal vote and not a ballot one

Aaah yeah its called electoral fraud. Quite illegal unless you are in the State of Florida of course & your brother is the governor!
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

^hahahahhaa Daytr very good