sharetrader
Page 77 of 246 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast

No but he was obviously given a mandate for other more covert affairs.... LOL What a shambles, out of good grace he should step aside.

I live in the Bay of Islands & the ex MP John Carter just got elected in a landslide. He said he would fight tooth & nail the local council being swallowed by a super council. Now he's elected he's sitting on the fence! Sickening what these elected officials think they can get away with. Just do the right thing for a change!

In reply to 'Was a bigger turnout than the last Auckland mayoral race (34% I believe) ......was Len given a mandate to stop cutting the grass on the berms'
    Last edited by Daytr; 14-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

You are right on the money Daytr with your two posts. I voted National last time in spite of the policy to hock off our assets. As on balance I thought National's policies are better for the country. In particular I hoped they would make more progress on the social welfare abuses we see in our country and take people towards a little more personal accountability and responsibility. I also hoped, wrongly in retrospect, that they would figure out that the sale of assets was not what the electorate wanted, and back off that plank.
    PS
    I to live in Bay of Islands and watching anxiously to see what John Carter does....will he toe the National party line with respect to local body organisation.

[QUOTE=RTM;449691............. I voted National last time........ I hoped they would make more progress on the social welfare abuses we see in our country and take people towards a little more personal accountability and responsibility. ............[/QUOTE]
    Wow, where have you had your head? In a recent TV interview, a legal spokeswoman reported that (trying to recall the actual figures but something like) 800 benefit fraud claims had recouped the state $2million, while a handful of Serious Fraud Office claims on corrupt business people had netted $5 Billion.
    Now, who's committing the 'abuses we see in our country' again? Time to remove the blue-tinted specs.......
    "The opposite of courage is conformity" - Rollo May

“Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.” - John F. Kennedy

...Now how does that saying go?

"the more money you have, the easier it is to hide"
    - Unknown?

Advanced Member

I'm wasn't referring to benefit fraud particularly. That's just one aspect. More the attitude that some folk have that the state should support them. And yes, good to see the SFO move on corrupt business people. I find the alternative government that JK is pushing the country closer and closer to seriously scary.

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    I wonder how much a crack down on tax dodgers would net? Probably more than enough to ensure those at the bottom of our society get the dignity they deserve.
    Enough for a nice surplus.

Permanent Newbie

Benefit fraud!!! What about all the National super-annuitants picking up a benefit even if they don't need it. One thing I can agree with Robert Jones on in his herald article today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Benefit fraud!!! What about all the National super-annuitants picking up a benefit even if they don't need it. One thing I can agree with Robert Jones on in his herald article today.
    hey Aaron ...cool it

I be one of those in a year or two. I am due that payment because the govt has set aside one and frippence a week for me since I started working

Yes I am one of the selfish generation ....I have no qualms in taking what is rightfully mine ..... it is obviously up to your generation to work out how you are going to keep paying it to me for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    What is your definition of "Don't need it" exactly? Lets say that I had a good job, worked all my life, always rented, and saved about $400,000. However I always enjoyed myself, played golf, ate out, had a company car.
    Now I am retired I have no income, just the money in the bank. And have to buy a decent car.
    My expenses are still food, rent, insurance(going up), am I now supposed to use up the money I saved until there is nothing left. That will take say 8-10 years. And then what do I do? Why should I suddenly have to reduce my standard of living as soon as I retire?
    I haven't read the Robt. Jones item, but there are 2 salient points to Mr. Jones. 1. he cost me money, while he went quietly selling his shares, while pushing them. 2. What would he know about trying to retire on $400,000, and still have the same standard of living, the fraudster?

He would know a lot about retiring on $400K pa. ... oh sorry you meant $400K in total - that is a different story