sharetrader
Page 84 of 246 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
    IMO

Great stuff!! Went overboard taking these up, my fave number now

Guru

Market opened with MELCA steady at 128.5 same as fridays close.....Hmm the no rise on this news is interesting....was the special 2.0 div factored in before it was announced ??
    I bought more at opening (128.5c)...it is a very high yield rate...OK the industry is a no growth sector but even with the unpaid portion this has to be a yield investors dream at this price...surely

Maybe investors are wary ...this dividend yield is going to make MEL cannon fodder for the Greens and other lefties today

Meridian Full year results
    Last edited by Hoop; 18-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.

I bought more on Friday. It seems to me that this energy share could be a barometer for political sentiment and the recent ructions for the National Party might be affecting the share price.

IMO

Maybe political uncertainty with poll showing labour and greens closing the gap on national.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    what a good result, bonus 2cps div makes 17% div return alone on the receipts + cap gain 0f 30c haha what an investment

Anyone: How do I work work how much I get cash (per share) in hand taxes, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by theace View Post
    In hand will be the amount of the dividend multiplied by the number of shares you own and as far as taxes are concerned I couldn't comment without details of your income. However it is 90% imputed so if you are a low earner it's likely you'll receive a tax benefit when you apply for next years refund and a high earner you'll still owe a small amount.
    Last edited by Okebw; 18-08-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

If fully imputed, the gross dividend would be 8.82/(1-0.28) = 12.25.

I assume for 90% imputed, that changes to 8.82/(1-0.252) = 11.79. (0.252 is 90% of the company tax rate).

They will take out DWT to ensure that 33% tax has been taken off at source. Therefore the "in the hand" amount is 11.79 * 0.67 = 7.9 c/share
    Last edited by cyclist; 18-08-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    If fully imputed, the gross dividend would be 8.82/(1-0.28) = 12.25.

I assume for 90% imputed, that changes to 8.82/(1-0.252) = 11.79. (0.252 is 90% of the company tax rate).

They will take out DWT to ensure that 33% tax has been taken off at source. Therefore the "in the hand" amount is 11.79 * 0.67 = 7.9 c/share
    Great, thanks.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Okebw View Post
    In hand will be the amount of the dividend multiplied by the number of shares you own and as far as taxes are concerned I couldn't comment without details of your income. However it is 90% imputed so if you are a low earner it's likely you'll receive a tax benefit when you apply for next years refund and a high earner you'll still owe a small amount.
    Further comment
    The 90% imputed part is taxed at the corporate rate (28% I think) by MEL so this is your tax credit...On average, depending on your earnings income, the imputed tax credit often cancels out the tax you pay on the dividend earn't...a bit like paying withholding tax on the interest received from your bank savings account (but without the tax credit part)

so.......say you have 1000 shares and you pay about 25% of your earnings in taxes.. then expect to keep most of that dividend .. 6.82c + 2.00c = 8.82c x 1000 = $88.82. (you may need to complete end of year tax return to receive any tax back surplus)
    If earn less than $40,000 pa then you probably get that $88.82 divy + some imputed tax credit surplus* as well.. ....* You will need to furnish an end of year tax return to receive that tax back surplus..

Your homework ..I've supplied the Tax table below...you supply and use the calculator...

Last edited by Hoop; 18-08-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Market opened with MELCA steady at 128.5 same as fridays close.....Hmm the no rise on this news is interesting....was the special 2.0 div factored in before it was announced ??
    I bought more at opening (128.5c)...it is a very high yield rate...OK the industry is a no growth sector but even with the unpaid portion this has to be a yield investors dream at this price...surely

Maybe investors are wary ...this dividend yield is going to make MEL cannon fodder for the Greens and other lefties today

Meridian Full year results

Yeah, tht the result would've propelled the share price above $1.30 at least, especially seeing that there are big sellers at the moment around that level. Must be the latest political dirt having its effect.